Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My vet said he wouldn't take my dog back.

okielady_42
April 26th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I have a almost 2 year old Chihuahua thats weights 4.90 lbs, his name is Harley. A week and a half ago he got into poison, behind our house, "Trailer behind us burned down they where cooking meth" and the vet believe he got into some of the chemicals. After 2 blood transfusions my vet said he could come home. I call the vet the other day to let him know that Harley gums where all white, and also his ( don't mean to be rude) penis is turned white. My vet told me to keep doing what I was doing, having to force feed him and force fluids down him. That they would not take him back because it stressed him (Harley to much) that it was better on him to be home.
He can't hardly stand up for maybe 4 minutes then he will just fall over, he wants me to hold him all the time (which I do because he's my baby).

Can anyone tell me what else I can do for him. I can't stand to see my baby like this, also he said that on the second blood transfusion the reason for that is because he turned anemia. The chemicals also did some liver damage.

jesse's mommy
April 26th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I'd say a trip to a different vet for a second opinion is in order.

OntarioGreys
April 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I would be reporting your vet for refusal to recheck your dog, who is obviously very anemic right now, which is why he is white , and you need to find a place to take him right away

Please call

Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association ph 405.478.1002
they should be able to help connect you with a place near you that you can take your dog right away, and you can file a ethics complaint at the same time. Who ever you take him too, ask about milk thistle to help repair and support the liver

Good luck

jawert1
April 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I agree with getting a second opinion AND vet controlled treatment right away. Given you don't know for certain how bad the liver damage is and how badly his system is poisoned, I wouldn't run the risk of ANY homeopathic treatments such as milk thistle until a second vet tests and gives you a proper diagnosis. Good luck and keep us posted.

mom_to_many
April 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM
okielady..also check with local law enforcement to see if they will press charges on animal endangerment..you might be able to receive restitution for your vet bills...and please seek another vet if you feel your present one isn't doing enough. I also live in OK...I would take it to the newspaper or TV...as it is one more life affected....the meth problem here is just terrible. Good luck with your little guy. PM me if you can...I worked with a small Sheriff office...might be able to help.:)

okielady_42
April 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Thank you for you alls advice. I called my vet back up, (whats so bad is I've used this same vet for years and he's the best around). and told him that it wasn't right of him not to see Harley again, and that if I lost Harley I would sue him for everything he was worth. Guess what he told me to bring him back in as soon as I could get him there, I said no thanks. I drove the 3 hours to another vet. He give Harley another blood tranfusion, and I brought him back home. He's already acting better, but still real week, but he is wagging his tail at me when I ask him if he wants mom to hold him.
And mom to many thanks for the offer, but here and police won't do anything, I've called them out more times then once when they where cooking meth over there, for the smell, they never came out. Here I think the cops sell just as much or more then the dealers. I was wondering what part of Oklahoma you from mom to many?

chico2
April 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I am glad Harley is doing better,I hope he recovers completely:fingerscr
The pic of him is great,looks like he's ready to fly off:D
He's adorable though,how could a vet refuse to treat an animal,especially knowing he's the only vet around:confused:

mom_to_many
April 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I'm in NW OK..Harper Co. I sure hope your little guy gets better and if the law won't help, try your District Attorney's office. Your life and your dogs life has changed due to these freaks...and you may want to see a doctor yourself if you were able to smell them cooking...I know they don't like this, but you can reach me at okkat87 on the search engine with the cowboy sounding yell...yah.....
I would still like to help any way I can.