Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

little kitty- bleeding from rear

Shelbert
April 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Hi, I'm new and I have a question. I let my cat, (which I took in as a stray and then to the vet who proceeded to shaver her only to find she had a spay scar) out to play this evening. I heard her spitting and hissing and went to let her in and noticed that there was another cat sitting on our doorstep. I let my kitty in and she was licking herself in her lower regions and I noticed she had a bit of blood on her anus. She seemed fine otherwise. I am taking her to the vet for shots soon and if it continues I will take her in tomorrow. Is it possible that, if she is in fact not spayed, that the male cat can inadvertently scratch her there to cause the bleeding?

Kerrye
April 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi
I think you should take your cat to the vet anyway. A bite wound can be very dangerous - all kinds of bacteria. To be on the safe side maybe you shouldn't let your cat outside. I keep mine inhouse 24/7 maybe I'm overprotective but I think they are safer.

badger
April 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM
If you decide to let your cat go outside, ask the vet to give her the appropriate vaccinations, such as feline leukemia (2 shots, a month apart) and even rabies if you live in an area where it is present, since she will be exposed to other cats and will need the extra protection.
As for the blood, might be nothing, might be something, but better to get it checked out. Infection is a real possibility.
Thanks for taking this little girl in. Even though she is spayed, females do even worse on the street than toms and she would not have survived for long.

Shelbert
April 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks, she has had her shots and is getting her booster this weekend. I have had all her other shots done. As for keeping her in, I am of the school of thought that she should get to go outside. There is a great divide and many reasons on both sides for letting out keeping in. I think this is not a right or wrong situation. However, I do believe it takes responsibilty and proaction. That is why I have taken my cat to the vet to get spayed, get her shots, and all the rest. I am worried about last night and I am taking her in this Saturday to the vet, but I just wanted to share this with other pet owners to see if they've come across a similar experience.

Thanks