Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Working dogs

erykah1310
April 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Here i go again with more debates!!
I have seen quite a few objections to having dogs for working purposes, why is that? I understand that a working dog may not have the same "home life" as a pet dog. However, wasnt almost everydog bred for a specific purpose (origionally)? So what then would be so wrong with having a Border Collie for herding sheep or a Labrador for hunting? the list goes on and on for what certain dogs excel at.
I have noticed on a few websites for rescues that they strictly state " No working homes" why not?

BoxerRescueMTL
April 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I have noticed on a few websites for rescues that they strictly state " No working homes" why not?
I think because to a lot of people a "working home" would be strictly that and not a pet with a "job". Since a rescue has to ensure the happiest, most permanent, perfect, cushiest outcome for the pooch - we need to weed out the people who would not consider the pooch a family member, but an "employee".

phoenix
April 26th, 2006, 06:32 AM
There are some dogs who are happiest when they have a job...and others who would be miserable. Some breeds are really driven and motivated when it comes to working. I've never had a border collie, but that's my impression; 2 of our labx have been like this- miserable in the house, not interested in the couch...

mom_to_many
April 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM
One of my best friends has a blue heeler working gal (Kilo)...yet she is still a member of the family. Kilo gets real depressed when she is not working. I think it's a combination of being separated from mom...and a case of c'mon...I need to work! Kilo works cattle and my biggest fear for her is flying hooves! I have seen other dogs with cuts and bruises that come with working. My BooBear is out of Kilo and a working Border Collie. He would have made an excellent cow dog and sometimes I feel guilty for not allowing him to "work" as he has ALOT of energy and smarts! He definately needs a "purpose in life" Then I see the beat up and bruised dog and think..no way will he work ever!!

erykah1310
April 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Meik is yet to be injured ( just lucky i guess) its amazing how he actually can "read" the cows, he dodges hooves and usually stays his distance.
My BooBear is out of Kilo and a working Border Collie.I would love to see what he looks like, must be a real handsome guy. Meikos partner is a Blue Heeler , absolutely beautiful dog he is!!!
There are some dogs who are happiest when they have a job
I find that dogs who are in the "Working dogs" groups are happiest when they have a job to do! The reason we let Meik work was because he was trying so hard to herd anything, snowplows, kids, us, his toys ect. Once we started letting him go with the neighbour to work he has done a complete 180 on his attitude, he is a much happier well ajusted family pet now. ( he never really was that bad, but he was getting agression issues from boredom)

happycats
April 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I have seen those ads too, I think the may mean they want someone home with the dog.
If not I think they mean, if a "working breed" dog has spent his life in a home and not working, and has to be re-homed, he/she wouldn't make a good working dog, because they have never done it, and are not used to that kind of life, and I think it would be very hard to expect a "home/house" dog to all of a sudden work! Chances are he/she would have to be re-homed again.
Also they may attack or kill livestock if they haven't been raised with livestock, not good for farmer or dog:sad:

mom_to_many
April 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
BooBear....:love:

[ATTACH]16028[/ATTACH

erykah1310
April 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
He's handsome, looks alot like Meik!

Lise
April 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I have three OPP dogs who board here.They are definately working dogs,they are also three of the happiest most well adjusted dogs I know.One of them is due to retire and is in better shape than dogs half his age.He just apprehended a suspect at the end of 9 km search.When they retire the officer who handles them will keep them as he consders them part of his family.

doggy lover
April 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Here is my hard working 2 year old border collie, I think a hard days work would kill him. LOL

mom_to_many
April 28th, 2006, 12:00 AM
He looks like a younger version of BooBears dad....beautiful!

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 02:51 AM
My dogs work too.. They work hard trying to get rid of the bad memories of their past lives..:(

Boo winning the battle: