Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pyometra in a young puppy?

janetk
April 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Is it possible for a young puppy (less than 4 mos.) who has never been in season to get a pyometra? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

jawert1
April 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
anything uterine related is possible in an unspayed dog. if you're concerned, please take her to the vet and have her spayed as soon as possible. you won't have to worry about it after that :)

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM
If it is pyometra, I sure hope she's at the vet already. :fingerscr

janetk
April 25th, 2006, 10:39 PM
She's already been to the vet and she's fine. I'm just questioning why this rather new vet jumped to the conclusion of pyometra in a young pup who has never been in season. I've never heard of such a thing, nor has anyone else I know, and I can't even find reference to pyometra in a bitch who has not yet had a season. Even the vet said he'd never heard of it, but her discharge was more than the typical case of puppy vaginitis. I would really like to get a more experienced vet's opinion on this.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
The vets here don't come on too often... I don't see why it wouldn't happen though. I mean it would be rare, but if the uterus is there, it can get infected.

janetk
April 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
The reason why it wouldn't happen has to do with why pyometra occurs. It occurs after a season during which the cervix opens allowing bacteria to enter the uterus. As the bitch comes out of season normal changes to the uterus make it an extremely friendly environment for the bacteria to grow. This is why the typical timeframe of pyometra is within 2 months of a heat cycle.

Given the nature of pyometra it is at the least extremely unlikely to find it in an immature puppy who has never had a heat cycle, but I was hoping to pose the question to an experienced vet who might be able to shed light on the question: is it even possible?

mafiaprincess
April 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM
The vets on here generally answer old questions. Like show up one day and give a very detailed answer on someone's Q, making it a good idea for people to do searchs. It's unlikely that one will pop in to randomly answer something new. You'd be better off phoning local vet clinics even to just talk to a vet for a moment.. but if you pup has an unusual discharge, maybe you really should get a second opinion.

janetk
April 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
My pup is fine. I'm not one of those people who ask a question on a bulletin board just to save a vet fee. If I think something needs attention we go. Antibiotics took care of the discharge which seems to have been what I thought when I went in--puppy vaginitis gotten out of hand.

Beaglemom
April 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Glad to hear that your puppy is fine. Sorry, I can't answer your original question, just wanted to say that I'm happy everything turned out well. Pyometra is such a serious infection that can be deadly.

GuamDoc
June 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM
JanetK, it is entirely possible to have pyo in a young puppy. It is less likely, but I have treated it in puppies as young as five months. That pup had not experienced heat yet. Bacteria can circulate from a variety of sources (gut, oral cavity, wounds) and establish residence in odd places. It is also possible for the cervix to open at a young age - it's atypical but not impossible. Pyo is so dangerous that I agree with any clinician who wants to rule it out. You can miss vaginitis and it's no great shakes....don't miss a pyo.

Shaykeija
June 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM
really old post.....;)