Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's coat

dmc123
April 25th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Since Simon has been here, Delaney has been getting a lot of exercise wrestling with him. It is good, she is slimming down. She was quite a couch potato before he moved in.

But now that is it Spring, she is shedding like crazy and her coat seems to be more coarse, dry that ever before. Is there a good supplement or anything I can do to help her? It doesn't seem to bother her, just her mama.

Thanks,
Diane

technodoll
April 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM
yep. get a big bottle of Omega-3 (fish oil) supplements from the pharmacy. 1000mg or something. one per day with dog's meal... works fantastic :)

dmc123
April 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
thanks, I will try it

LibbyP
April 25th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I also give my pets flax seed, improves coat condition and makes it shiny, we also give it to yearling(horses) getting ready for the sale.

mummummum
April 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ditto to both suggestions. You might want to do a cost/quality/quantity comparison on the capsules v. the bottled oil you can get in the refridgerated section of your local health food store. I find it less expensive to buy it by the bottle with my 3 kermuttskies.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Be sure to keep it in the fridge (or even the freezer). Omega 3's tend to denature really easily. :)

technodoll
April 25th, 2006, 11:16 PM
last week i bought, on sale, a 120 capsule bottle of Omega-3 supplements (ocean fish oil), 1000mg, by Jamieson, for $15.99 - reg $21.99. i'm sure that if I shopped around more, i could find an even better deal... my doggies get 1 capsule each 3 or 4 times/week... they do not shed between bi-annual coat blows, they have soft and shiny thick coats, no itches, allergies, scratching, no fleas or anything... of course that is also the diet.

adding some olive oil to doggie's dinner also helps :thumbs up

Lump of Kohl
April 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
What are you feeding her? Check and see if the food you have her on has a version that has salmon in it or flax seed. I actually eat a lot of salmon and give my Chi the skin, that is where most of the EFA oils are, mixed into his food(he LOVES it). Also Solid Gold's Green Tripe is supposed to be good for the coat as well. It smells horrible so dogs love it.

What do you wash her with? I like Solid Gold's Supersen Gelle shampoo and Jojoba conditioner. Not to brag ;) but my baby has a gorgeous coat. I've also been known to give him a good old fashioned hot oil treatment. A little warm avocado or jojoba oil massage on and wash off. But my dog also weighs 8 pounds so that might not be doable for you.

dmc123
April 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since we have some of the fish oil we will try that first.