Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The latest adventures . . . .

Rick C
April 25th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Some of the latest adventures for Abby & Keeper . . . . . .

Very early Sunday morning, we heard a lot of barking and came out of the house to find a coyote baiting Abby and Keeper through our fence, trying to lure them away . . . . .

Keeper pursues the coyote on her side of the fence . . . the coyote would do this, then lay a short distance away, trying to get one of the dogs to chase.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510007_edited-1.jpg

A blurry image of Keeper pushing her head through the fence and the coyote jumping back . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510006_edited-1.jpg

As I go down to break it up, the first coyote moves off and the second, likely the female in this pair, emerges from her position of ambush. She had been lying flat in the hay stubble . . . . Abby leaves a defiant squirt on her side.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510010_edited-1.jpg

The fence saves Abby and Keeper in these encounters and they have never been hurt, although Keeper was left semi-comotose on a hot summer day last year and I had to carry her back towards the house while Carol ran down with a bucket of water.

The coyotes do not come on our side. This usually happens on Carol's watch, when I'm off at work.

After that excitement, later on Sunday, Keeper and her shadow run through the lingering snow to catch up with us in King Creek Canyon in Kananaskis Country.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510044_edited-3.jpg

. . . . . and Keeper got to swim at Barrier Lake, a little lower in elevation and mostly melted now:

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510066_edited-1.jpg

The previous week, we found these guys trying to teach a yellow lab to climb cliffs. The lab cleverly gave up on this worthless pursuit, circled around and found an easier way to get to his owners.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12150021_edited-1.jpg

Abby explores a canyon on the Sheep River two weekends ago.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12150014_edited-1.jpg

A horse on a windy morning on the bald butt prairie south of Calgary . . . . I keep going back to get this particular horse in the right spot AND in focus but so far the perfect shot has eluded me.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12150031_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Great pictures, as usual. I get so excited when you post pictures. They are always so wonderful.

chico2
April 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Me too,love your pics Rick!!
I know people do not like me saying this,but I think the Coyotes are beautiful,at a distance:p
I saw one here in a field(now built up) a long time ago,he looked really scraggly and skinny,yours look almost like wolves,look very healthy.
The horse-pic look just about perfect to me,except he has his tail between his legs:p
How's the kitty recovering after surgery???

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Those have got to be the fattest healthiest looking coyotes I've ever seen.

Breathtaking photos as per usual! :thumbs up

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Great pics!:)

Frenchy
April 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Ahhh Rick,beautiful picks.I must admit,I would have been pretty freaked out to see coyotes cheek to cheek with my dogs!Keeper doesn't look too impress with them!

AliSam
April 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I would have been freaked out too! What fabulous photos (as usual).

Rick C
April 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Bonus coverage . . . . Keeper cools down on Sunday at Ribbon Creek in Kananaskis Country . . . . . we had walked the popular - but deserted - trail for about six kilometres, most of it snow covered and this shot is back at the parking lot. The two white ribbons on the hill behind Keeper are on the Nakiska ski hill, site of the alpine events for the 1988 Winter Olympics.

http://www.goldentales.ca/12510038_edited-1.jpg

How's the kitty recovering after surgery???

Skyler had his stitches removed a few days ago and is now pretty mobile, albeit a little wobbly still. He has some trouble with stairs but he's very determined.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

mom_to_many
April 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Wow..you truly live in heaven! What a beautiful place for you and your furbabies! Now about those coyotes...I agree, fat and sassy and I would freak also if they were messing with my dogs!! Love your pics RickC!!

melz
April 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Rick, I really enjoy browsing through your pictures! They are absolutely amazing.

I must ask, what kind of camera are you using?

Mel

meb999
April 26th, 2006, 12:02 PM
B-E-A-UTIFULL, as usual! *jealooouuuuusssssss*

Rick C
April 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Rick, I really enjoy browsing through your pictures! They are absolutely amazing.

I must ask, what kind of camera are you using?

Mel

A Panasonic DMC FZ20 . . . . now sadly battered after a year and a half in my clutches. Its tough considering how many times I've dropped it, gotten it wet and banged it around.

It is 5.1 megapixels with a 35-420 zoom. I'll probably upgrade to a full SLR and something in the 8-10 megapixel range in a few months. My sick cat Skyler ate the money for that for a month or two at least but that's okay too.

The newest version of the Panasonic I have is now 8 megapixels, a very good multi-purpose camera if you want something just a step below the higher end stuff. In Canada, you're probably looking at $700 before GST. You'll need a better battery than they'll give you, a filter and a lens hood so you might be getting up towards $900 to $1000 when you're done.

But its easy to tote on vacation . . . . my Tiger Woods picture in Atlanta last November:

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120923_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

susieqt
April 26th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Wow! Nice pictures. Was that a wild horse?
Also, I was just wondering, why would coyotes try to lure dogs? For fun or for fight?

Rick C
April 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Also, I was just wondering, why would coyotes try to lure dogs? For fun or for fight?

Coyotes kill dogs for food if the opportunity arises. They're successful enough at it that they have certain techniques they'll use. Hence the periodic "missing Muffy" posters on rural mailboxes. Dogs that stray from home overnight or chase coyotes will often end up dead.

Wolves kill coyotes for food too. Coyotes kill foxes for food. The food chain.

Nope, not a wild horse . . . . . although he kind of lives like one. Lots of range for him.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
April 26th, 2006, 11:55 PM
No, it's Tiger Woods... (But just as um... fill in the appropriate inappropriate adjective here...):evil: Oh, wait- you meant the real horse... :D

I love the pic of Keeper in the river. Looks so fresh.:)

woodysdad
April 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Really fantastic pictures!
And what a beautiful place.
But, sorry to say, I'd despatch those coyotes.....:sad:

Rick C
April 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Really fantastic pictures!
And what a beautiful place.
But, sorry to say, I'd despatch those coyotes.....:sad:

If a particular coyote or group of coyotes were persistent in this behaviour, coming back time and again, I'd borrow my neighbours gun and shoot one of them. I came close to doing that with a persistent pair a few years ago but eventually discouraged them instead.

However, the general behaviour of coyotes is they're opportunistic and these guys were typical, passing by and hoping to get lucky. When it didn't work out they moved on.

At sunset and into the night, we have the howls and screams of coyotes coming at us from all points of the compass . . . . . and as I'm typing this in the lowering twilight, Keeper is outside on the deck barking at the dark as she does every night.

There was a time when farmers used to try and eradicate coyotes . . . . . but then they were overrun with gophers, voles and mice. So they tried to poison the rodents and ended up killing the hawks and eagles as well and getting overrun with more gophers, voles and mice.

These days, everyone recognizes predators like coyotes are necessary to the ecosystem, keeping the rodent population under control and helping everyone in the end . . . . . 15-20 years ago around here it was also a rare thing to see a hawk but now there are often four or more circling our place on the prairie breeze on lazy summer days.

And we see coyotes most days of the week.

The endless cycle.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

woodysdad
April 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
We're lucky here in Scotland, only the occasional wildcat in the Highlands.
But the Government want to re-introduce the Wolf :eek:

chico2
April 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Woodysdad,Wolves are beautiful animals and I would cheer any government that was able to bring them back,as long as there is enough habitat for them to live peacefully without human contact and intervention.
It's really sad to me,that in many places there is no more space for these magnificent animals to live in peace.:sad:

Alex_Galea
April 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
your pictures are very nice, i love the one of keeper (your yellow lab) climbing towards you after swimming in the lake. I would say thats pretty close to the "perfect shot". i read that you were looking to upgrade to an SLR, i just purchased a canon digital rebell and it takes wonderfull pictures. I will be posting some dog pictures shortly if you want a sample. Also, the digital rebel magnifies your lenses by 1.5x, so if you buy a 300mm zoom lens it will become a 450mm zoom lens, which is very nice and cost effective.

-Alex

glasslass
April 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Beautiful pix as usual. Always a treat!

woodysdad
April 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Woodysdad,Wolves are beautiful animals and I would cheer any government that was able to bring them back,as long as there is enough habitat for them to live peacefully without human contact and intervention.
It's really sad to me,that in many places there is no more space for these magnificent animals to live in peace.:sad:

Like you, I am in favour of ALL animals living in their natural habitat, but unfortunately Scotland is a very small country, and although there are a few uninhabited areas, in general [I]homo sapiens[I] tend to have taken over, which could lead to dangerous situations!

Woody

chico2
April 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I know what you mean,I think it was France that reintroduced wolves,,only to have them shot by farmers,not a good situation,for the wolves or the farmers.:sad:
Wolves from Canada were brought to the US and the same thing happened.
There has to be enough habitat and prey for the wolves to survive.