Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Volunteering.. Potentially stupid question..

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I would love to foster, but living at home again, my parents would kick my butt. I'm not ready to get another job, but I just discovered the durham region humane society..

I was thinking about dropping off an application to volunteer, but I was wondering before I did: If being in contact with dogs that could possibly be carrying something (obviously not necessarily, but you never know..) what the likelyhood might be of somehow transmitting anything home to your own dog? Or precautions to limit the risk even though it probably isn't that high.. Maybe I'm paro.. But I just thought I'd ask people far more in the know than I am before committing.. but I'd love to give them some hours a week of my time if they could use it.

chico2
April 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
When I go to our HS,I always have to disinfect my hands on coming and leaving,to protect their animals and my own.
I think you'll be ok,be ready for some heartbreak...but it's worth it,if you can help the animals feel less lonely:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Parvo can be carried around on your shoes. This is a very stable virus and can survive a long time on the ground, even in freezing temperatures.

You should have a pair of shoes you use just as the shelter and leave them in your trunk when you get home.

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I don't have much advice to give that hasn't already been given, but I just wanted to say good for you! And, as for your thread title, I don't think this is a potentially stupid question, it's admirable that you are asking and doing the research beforehand! :thumbs up I honestly believe the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask! :D

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks girls. Good advice on the shoes and hands. I guess I was more thinking clothing.. and transfer, or I'm not sure. I just didn't want to bring home anything scary when I could prevent it.
I mean I haven't applied yet.. maybe they aren't in dire need of help, but at least they'd have my name if they were.
Thanks jesse's mommy.. you are right, but I thought I sounded like a germophobe.. and that maybe it was uncalled for.

But awesome, I'll go apply this week. Thanks all.

Frenchy
April 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Good for you Mafiaprincess!And no,there is no stupid question when it comes to the welfare of our pets!Keep us posted.