Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat won't eat, mood has changed

Flakey
April 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I have a 2 year old cat whose is very friendly and fun loving. The past few days his mood has changed. He's very sluggish, won't eat, will drink when I put water in front of him. He sits in one spot and won't move. He has tried to get sick but nothing happens. He has lost a bit of weight. Any ideas of what this could be or how I could help him before I get to a vet...I don't have the funds to bring him right now.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I would say that something very serious could be wrong with your cat. Not to mention his lack of eating could kill him.

No one here can help you with such a problem. Your cat is suffering and needs a vet now.

mom_to_many
April 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
You really need to get him to the vet...could be something as minor as furballs in his belly...serious if they are stuck in his intestines or the onset of a urinary problem that if left untreated will kill him in short order. Please get him in ASAP! Ask if the vet will take payments!

AdoptionPalace
April 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM
He could have an upper respiratory infection. I assume you're feeding dry cat food??? Get him a can of wet food; tuna is usually taken best. See if he'll at least drink the juices from the can. If he doesn't seem any better within a week, make an app with a vet. He'll probably need antibiotics if it's not gone by this time next week. You can dab a little vaseline on the tip of his nose in the mean time. He'll lick it off and it'll lubricate his throat and intestines. If it is a hairball, it'll make easier to throw up or pass. If it's not, the vaseline won't hurt him any.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
If he doesn't seem any better within a week, make an app with a vet.

A week??? This cat is not eating, retching, lethargic and has already lost weight. He could have an intestinal or urinary blockage and be dead long before a week passes.

This needs to be seen to TODAY.

rainbow
April 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Most vets will make payment arrangements so I think you should take him to a vet right away.

BusterBoo
April 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
From past experience.....please get him to a Vet ASAP! If he starts making low throaty growls, it will probably be too late - RIP our Novy.....

Sorry, I don't want to scare you, but this happen to us last summer... :sorry:

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM
A week??? This cat is not eating, retching, lethargic and has already lost weight. He could have an intestinal or urinary blockage and be dead long before a week passes.

This needs to be seen to TODAY.
I agree!! (as usual).;) One day, I'm gonna get here FIRST. :p