Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat has some peeing problems

Christian B
April 25th, 2006, 12:48 PM
we recently got the cat from the humane society. he's not a kitten, he's about 4yrs old. when we brought him home, there were no problems at all...he found the litter box, and used it his first night. no accidents anywhere for about week.

then last week he pissed in our bed, WHILE we were sleeping in it. 30$ dry cleaning bill later, he did it AGAIN this week...just yesterday. so we decided to keep him out of our bed, and our room all together. this morning, while getting ready for work, he decided to sit in my girl's purse and piss in it.

wtf is going on!? we really have no clue what to do. he uses his litter box, and we keep it clean on a regular basis.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

jawert1
April 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
A change in his behaviour means something is wrong, I would say it's time for a vet visit to make sure there's nothing physically ill about him.

AdoptionPalace
April 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
If it's a male and if he's not neutered, he's probably marking his territory. He's leaving his "male" scent on top of all the "female" scents so they know he's there and they should come party with him. Get a bottle of no-spray and have him neutered.

Christian B
April 25th, 2006, 05:42 PM
thanks for the replies guys...

he has been neutered...so i dont think its that. its definitely urine. i figured something is bothering him, but how do i figure out what it is??

rainbow
April 25th, 2006, 05:57 PM
but how do i figure out what it is??

First, you take him to the vet for a check-up to see if there is something wrong.

AdoptionPalace
April 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
How long did you have him until he started all this??? If you think something is bothering him, try to figure out what is different NOW compared to that time in between when you got him and now. New pet? New food? New litter? New laundry soap? New bath soap? New shampoo? There's a variety of things that could be upsetting him. If it's any kind of scent on you, maybe he's trying to push the "new person" away and get his old person back.

What about putting the litter box in a different place or putting another one in another place?

Is he doing anything else? Not eating? Coughing? Being aggressive? Vomitting?

Could you call your vet and talk over the phone? Explain that he's peeing all over but nothing else is wrong and could they give advice. They'd probably be happy to offer consult over the phone rather than have you come in. Some Vet offices have back to back appointments so this might be easier on them. Couldn't hurt to try.....the worse they'll do is say no, bring him in.

Christian B
April 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
How long did you have him until he started all this??? If you think something is bothering him, try to figure out what is different NOW compared to that time in between when you got him and now. New pet? New food? New litter? New laundry soap? New bath soap? New shampoo? There's a variety of things that could be upsetting him. If it's any kind of scent on you, maybe he's trying to push the "new person" away and get his old person back.

well, we've only had him for 4 weeks, and the first time it happend was the 2nd week he was home. the first week he was fine. EVERYTHING is different, thats the problem, he's gone from living in a cage and sleeping right next to his litter box, to living in an apartment. but the thing is, he knows where his litter box is, and he uses it. everything must be new to him

Is he doing anything else? Not eating? Coughing? Being aggressive? Vomitting?

he has been hacking up a lot of hairballs. least i think tahts what it is. sounds like it. although, nothing seems to ever come out, but he does that often. more often then normal? i dont know...again, we've only had him for 4 weeks now :confused:

Could you call your vet and talk over the phone? Explain that he's peeing all over but nothing else is wrong and could they give advice. They'd probably be happy to offer consult over the phone rather than have you come in. Some Vet offices have back to back appointments so this might be easier on them. Couldn't hurt to try.....the worse they'll do is say no, bring him in.

great suggestion...ill give it a try.

thanks for all the help bro :)