Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vacuum for pet hair

LaRue0715
April 25th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Greetings,

I have a 75 lb Golden that sheds like there is no tomorrow. LOL

I am curious what kinds of vacuums everyone uses for pet hair.

Thanks

:usa:

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Very costly but most effective against what I refer to as hairbag dogs is Dyson.

mom_to_many
April 25th, 2006, 08:25 AM
As long as my vaccuum itself isn't next to the cats..I use a really old cannister style. Thomas just loves it..I'll try to get pics next time the kid is home. My Dirt Devil (upright) sucks to hard and pulls the skin.

Skryker
April 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Pardon the slight hi-jack, but my Mom used to use the Dust-buster on all our animals, even the rabbit. They loved it! Only problem was, it's not so quick and easy to use the Dust-Buster for fast clean-up when you have to vacuum 2 dogs, a cat and a rabbit first. :D

There was another thread on the topic of keeping floors clean and what vacuum s work well. The Dyson does seem to be highly recomended. I can't recommend my Hoover canister-gets clogged way too easy.

kaytris
April 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM
A client of mine swears by her Miele vacuum. I think the Dyson isn't available in Canada

mom_to_many
April 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM
OOPS!:o I thought you were asking about using the vaccuum ON your pet! Not enough coffee yet! If I could afford it.. I would get a Dyson as I have heard nothing but fantastic comments on it!! I have had a Bissell which worked okay until it got clogged with the grass seed BooBear got into..bought a Dirt Devil (cheapie..less than 60.00) and it seems to work great so far but it is still fairly new. And with 6 cats..4 dogs...I use it alot!!

OntarioGreys
April 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Dyson is available from the cosco stores also dyson has a Canadian web page if you want to order online, they have info on other store that carry

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/default.asp?sicampaignppc=google&sicampaigntopic=launch&DCSJumpGUID=FEWS0_Jump_99fb424a-0449-413d-9a40-9fbac21e247a

LaRue0715
April 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I was actually referring to vacumming carpets, but what an excellent. It had never occurred to me to vacuum my dog. While he doesn't love the vacuum, he would sit still for a couple of minutes so that I could do it with my shop vac.

I am definitely going to try that.

Thanks

:crazy:

pamha
April 26th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I have a regular Dyson (the yellow one) and it picks up hair great from our few carpeted areas. The purple 'animal' is supposed to be the greatest thing for pet fur but unless the new models are different, its really the same thing except for the color and a couple of nifty attachments. If money isn`t a problem I`d go for the animal, but if you need to cut corners and can afford it, the yellow one works fine.

Stewart
April 27th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi ! We have carpets in most of our rooms and our GSD looses fur all year round. The best way we have found to clear the problem is with rubber brissle hand brushes that get the fur up then hoover over the piles of stuff ;) As for the dog herself we have also an attachment that goes onto the vacuum hose end and its a metal tooth comb that you get in various grades depending on your dogs coat length;) I will try to find the info for you if your interested. You may be able to purchase them over there.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 01:52 AM
The Dyson is avalible in Canada. Costly, but I think it's worth it. *prays to the vaccuum gos to strike down her kenmore and leave behind a dyson*

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25148&highlight=dyson
That was last month's thread on pet hair and vaccuums.

Prin
April 27th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Yup, they sell the Dyson at Costco here in Montreal too. It's over $450, I know that for sure, but it might even be over $500..

I prefer a broom, honestly. I find a lot of vacuums just blow the hair around more than they pick it up.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM
If I had next to no carpets I wouldn't bother with a hardcore vaccuum either... I'd sweep up and then take the vaccuum hose to the baseboards and crevices. But in my house it's primarily carpet.. so a crappy vaccuum is a nightmare..
*thankful Cider had most of her potty trainign accidents at our old apt.. where pee still trapped in the carpet isn't my issue* lol..

Snooky'sMom
April 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I was actually referring to vacumming carpets, but what an excellent. It had never occurred to me to vacuum my dog. While he doesn't love the vacuum, he would sit still for a couple of minutes so that I could do it with my shop vac
:crazy:

There's also a type of hair cutting thing that attaches to vacuums, good for pets and people. I've seen them on E-bay and was thinking of getting one but not sure if I could get my cats to sit still for that. I bet a dog would be easier.

phoenix
April 29th, 2006, 03:45 PM
just saw the dyson animal advertised at future shop for $650! Thank goodness I have tile/parquet...