Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, i have a new kitten, and one of my dogs has become diffecult

Joanne59
April 25th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Hi this is my first post, I have just been given a kitten it is 17 weeks old, I have a sausage dog 10 Years old and a pomerain also 10. I used to have a cat until last year when it died. My sausage dog became very depresses so we adopted a pomerian t keep him company, it took a while but they are now friends.
I have missed my cat a lot, so my husband bought me a kitten last friday, my sausage dog is not taking it well at all, I have put him on Clomicalm, and my husband has been taking him to work with him during the day to give the kitten time to adjust to the new surrondings, but when they get home the dog just snaps or sits in front or a cabinet which is where the kitten has taken to hidding, if anyone has a treid and proven method to introduce these guys I would really appreciate it,
it has become a little stressful for me and god knows how the kitten is feeling..... Cheers Joanne:crazy:

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I think I've read here that kittens and old dogs don't mix... But I'll let the experts answer...

LibbyP
April 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hi there Joanne59, we brought a kitten into our house last fall for the first time in many many years. We have a 12 yr old Walker hound, and a 4 yr old Mastiff, and a crabby 7yr old Siamese. We introduced them by having our new kitten stay in a wire dog crate for acouple(maybe more) days. Of course it was big enough for litter/food/water and a bed box, he was able to watch what was going on and the other pets were able to watch and smell him but not get to stressed out, in the evenings I would let him out when the house had quieted down so he could explore(I also have 2 small children), after awhile and alot of hissing and spitting and chasing back to his cage, the dogs and cat realised he wasn't going anywhere and came around, I still kept his cage up for security but slowly moved it out of our family room to the laundry until it was put away, now they dogs and him are buddies but our cat can still do without a :crazy: kitten jumping on her when she trying to take a nap:mad: hope this helps alittle, :sorry: to anyone I offend by doing it this way but it worked for us

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I think I've read here that kittens and old dogs don't mix

Actually, it's puppies and adult cats who are the worst combination.:D

You need to keep the dog on a leash, and when he tries to go after the kitten, say "NO CAT" and give the leash a little tug. As soon as he looks at you, give him a treat and praise him.

Sit with him on leash when the kitten comes out. Keep praising and treating him if he doesn't attempt to chase the kitten. Make sure the treat you give him is something just wonderful and something he gets ONLY when the kitten is around. I'm sure he'll decide it's not so bad after all but since your dog is 10 years old, it may take awhile.

And if the kitten isn't neutered, get that done right away.

SnowDancer
April 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
It could be that your Dachshund is viewing your kitten as "prey" due to its small size. I have had 7 Dachshunds and each one got along with the many cats that we also rescued - dogs were also rescues. Only time we had a problem was when we found a very small kitten - he was black - okay he looked like a mouse - so we had to be careful with one of the dogs. I think once the kitten gets bigger you will not have as much of a problem - but then some dogs just don't like cats. Until the kitten grows though be very careful. Actually our youngest Dachshund was 6 months old. I would never have brought an 8 week old Dachshund into the household or any tiny pup that would resemble prey because of the strong prey drive in the Dachshund. If you got your Dachshund as a tiny pup you will know what I am talking about - looks like a mouse with those ears or a teeny weeny Dobe. Hope everything works out. One of my Alpha Dachshunds ruled the roost with the Alpha cat - they were in love.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Actually, it's puppies and adult cats who are the worst combination.:D
lol that's why I left it to the pro! :D