Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Clippers?

mafiaprincess
April 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I borrowed a grooming set from a neighbour who hasn't seemed t ohave ever used them.. They've been used, but I doubt ever by her.
When Cider came home from the groomer a few weeks back, she was well, shaggy. I was hoping for a nicely short dog like Bailey's pics when just groomed..
I'm tired, I've had enough, so tonight I attempted to do it myself.. Her back was no problem, but her hips and belly just didn't seem to want to cut.. hair was jammign in the clipper every few minutes. So I gave up for now, but sadly even kinda botched she looks better..
I was wondering if this sounds like clippers in dire need of a sharpening?
Since I have no experience, I'm not entirely sure.. but I'd be willing to get them sharpened..

Dog Dancer
April 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Not sure if they need sharpening or not, I don't have to clip my dogs, but when I do my son's hair (hope he doesn't see this..) I know the clipper jam up if the hair is too long or thick. I have to back off and kinda layer it out a bit and do smaller sections. I sorta take a shorter layer off then go in for the complete trim. Hope this helps. If you've just borrowed the trimmers and already things look better maybe buy a good set for yourself and just have go.

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM
LOL. It's cocker fur.. It was kinda long, and was jamming the clippers.. but I was taking it slow, and it was still jamming within seconds.. I even cut her down some with sissors, and was just going to clean it up with the clippers.. but at that point the clippers seemed to not really be cutting.. Someone on the show circut told me dog clippers are finicky and she gets hers sharpened at every show she goes to.. which is why I wondered if maybe they were as dull as a hoe.

I'm not sure It's worth the investment on a good pair of clippers, She's always gone to the groomer before.. but a couple of visits would be about the cost of a decent pair..

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Might need oiling... Sometimes oil works wonders for those old clippers..

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I oiled them before during a few times and after I gave up..

Melei'sMom
April 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM
is it one of the clippers that have an adjustment screw on it? adjusting it may help.

t.pettet
April 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
The problem could either be the clippers or the blade. Certain older clippers have to be oiled (oster) inside the head. The blade should be flushed, I use Varsol, dip teeth 3/4 of blade while running into 1 1/2 inch of Varsol until hair unclogs, then oil the teeth. What make of clippers are you using?

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 10:30 PM
These ones are Andis. I played with them again today, and cleaned them better.. and they seem to be just dull as heck.. That's an awesome cleaning tip though.

I'm still hemming and hawing over buying my own..

Adusting the screw was for something about voltage.. it made it run rougher.. :(