Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Irresponsible dog poop...

kristi_021
April 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM
My mother has a two year old ****zu-yorkie cross named Buddy whom she walks faithfully every day. I was house sitting for her last week while she went to Vegas and of course, took Buddy for a walk every day. Every time I took him, I noticed dog poop on peoples lawns, on the public grass, and yes, even on the sidewalk once. WHY????? The people who walk the dogs responsible for the defacation obviously live in the neighborhood, yet they don't seem to care what it looks OR smells like. Spring is in the air....mmmmm....dog poop. Is it really that hard to save your grocery bags and throw one in your pocket when you walk your dog? I think not. They wouldn't want their houses smelling like poop and looking disgusting (or their lawns), so why do they allow their neighborhood to?

mummummum
April 25th, 2006, 02:32 AM
You know how male (and some grrrls) dawgs "mark" their territory? I've often wondered if leaving poop on a neighbour's lawn is a perverse passive-aggressive form of revenge - their not-so-secret way of saying "I really dislike you - and I'd poop on your lawn myself if I thought I could get away with it...but, for now Fido's poop will do." :evil:

kristi_021
April 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM
LOL... Yeah, for sure! I guess some people would do that. :eek:

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I have a lady that lives 3 houses down. I once was sitting on my balcony unbeknownst to her and she let the dog poo on the lawn and walked back to her house. 5 minutes later the grass king (my fiance) came home and noticed the dog poop. I never told him I saw who the lady was because he would have caused a neighbourhood war. So I said I didn't know. But now I saw her allow her dog to pee on my lawn. I am starting to think she is purposely using my lawn as her dogs toliet. So now no more misses nice lady. I now watch her everytime she is out.

She is not a nice lady b/c last time my daughter and her friends accidently lost a ball over my neighbours fence and when my daughter went to knock on the door they slammed the door in her face after she asked if she could get her ball. So obviously they have problems. So now I am just waiting for the next time they use my front lawn as a toilet.

chico2
April 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
When I walk my neighbors Cocker,I am dumbfounded by all the poop laying around,mostly BIG piles.
I carry at least 3 bags,as Bailey often poops more than once.
I live on a corner-lot and I have watched this man walk his Bichon on my lawn and never pick up poop,next time I see him,it will be the last time...I will give him a supply of bags:evil:

Melei'sMom
April 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM
We have a neighbour who just opens his door and lets is big dog go do her business where ever she likes. If I mention there is poop on my lawn, he sends his daughter to clean it, otherwise, he couldn't be bothered.

Believe it or not though, that isn't the neighbour that ticks me off. my neighbour directly to the north doesn't clean her back yard. when the wind shifts...yuck! :mad: Seriuosly considering calling bylaw about it. I have already left a note and spoken to her and she just doesn't care. And I can gaurentee that dog is not eating a very good food!

The other day though we made a point of going outside while she was out and we all had clothespins for our noses.:D

She still didn't get the hint!:eek:

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I'm being serious with this response, Jim is the kind of person who would get a shovel, pick up the poop and dump it on their front door step to make the point clear. You should see some of the things he has flung into neighbors yards in the past. :eek: He doesn't get mad or annoyed often, but when he does he really makes a statement.

AliSam
April 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM
We have a neighbour who just opens his door and lets is big dog go do her business where ever she likes. If I mention there is poop on my lawn, he sends his daughter to clean it, otherwise, he couldn't be bothered.

Our neighbour across the road does that too. The difference is he always cleans up what his dog leaves and the dog never goes off their property. He goes straight down to the boulevard and goes there. Because the guy's kids play in the backyard, he doesn't let the dog do his business back there. He lets him out the front door and then his oldest son takes him out for a walk twice a day. The dog is elderly, so he doesn't run much anymore.

erykah1310
April 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM
City or town life would be annoying for that reason alone, Luckily we dont have any neighbours that we can see, none the less when we do take walks in town I always pick it up. ( although the sidewalks have poop everywhere) to me its rude to let your dog poop and leave it there. It can be embarrasing to be seen picking it up ( but you know deep down that who ever sees you doing it appreciates that you are picking it up)
It just really sucks when there is no garbages around that you can dump it into.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I've vented often that if there were more garbage cans on the more main streets, maybe there'd be less litter. The boardwalk trail here in Whitby.. there aren't many cans.. Even when it goes through a park. It peeves me to see people picked up the poop, and then dropped the bag on the grass... why bother?

I've found that in having a dog for a year.. That only after having her for a year do I finally not really mind cleaning up poop on walks.. I wish there were more cans to dump the poop into. But there was a time I'd try to avoid coming near her poop at all. *tear* I'm becoming hardcore responsible. lol.

If I put off pickign up poop in our backyard for more than a few weeks it becomes liek an hour long poop clean up. And people are already tracking it across the yard when they go out. I don't know how people could just not clean it up. Nasty..

Tbone
April 28th, 2006, 10:43 PM
we have a city law, and if it hapened as often to me as some others on here I'd charge the camcorder battery.

burns
November 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
i agree with with alot of you, there are a lot of horrer stories out there about people not picking up after their dog.As i to know of stories.person does'nt pick up his dogs poo,next dog comes along ,,smells,,infected.by a variay of germs and infection.dog sick,dog passes away.family devastated.we've all heard of the parvo scare in the late 80;s. in Canada i wish more people would pick up after their dog. take a min to get a bag,shuve it in your pocket.keep the parks clean.:angel:

Maya
November 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Ya this bugs me too. There is an elderly couple that live near me in a really well kept house and yard but they let their little poodle out the front door to run across the street and use the playground to go poo in. It's so rude especially because there are dispensible baggies, signs and garbage cans right in front of the park.

Mocha's mum
November 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
I think this boils down to pure laziness and irresponsibility. I have a little bag dispenser on Mocha's leash which was quite inexpensive ($10) and the refills are cheap too ($7 for a bag of 12 rolls). I've seen a few people not pick up after their dog, and I offer them a bag in a pleasant, yet sarcastic tone. Something along the lines of "oh gee, I've forgotten to bring a bag a few times too. Here, use one of mine" :o Hee hee. I haven't seen those particular individuals since...

Mahealani770
November 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Kristi,
I totally feel your pain. Try living in an apartment complex where the grassy areas are sparse and YOU are the only one who bothers to pick up your little Pomeranian's poopy. We actually witnessed a man letting his beagle poop right on the middle of the road into the complex. We and he made eye contact and he just stood there. Why??? People make me ILL!

Oh, and by the way, it's spelled "Shih-Tzu" so you aren't spelling a bad word when you type out the name of the breed, I promise. :D

joeysmama
November 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
We ALWAYS pick up oafter our dog when we're on walks. With a small dog you can just slip a piece of paper towel under his bum when he squats. The poppie lands on the towl, pick up the corners and slip it into the bag. It's the easiest cleanest system for picking up after a small dog. I wouldn't risk getting my hand near the back of end of a squatting big guy but it works for the little ones.

Soemtiems if we're not home we have a young teenager who takes Cooper out in the afternoon. We always ask her to jot down where he poops so we can pick it up when we get home. The last time she drew a little diagram of the house and property and marked his poopie spots. Too cute. I think she's happy that we don't expect her to pick up after him on the property.

Mahealani770
November 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Joey's Mama..that is absolutely ADORABLE! lol A poopie diagram! haha

Smiley14
November 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have to admit, I'm quite spoiled with the whole poop issue! I have a pooper scooper lady that comes out to my house every Wed to clean the yard (www.petyardpickup.com). I love it! :)
And then on walks and for the dog park, in the rare instance that he does go (he has this complex about only going in his yard), I got this handy dandy pick-up thing from Petsmart that keeps it all hands free. I'm embarrassed to say that even after owning and picking up after dogs for a number of years, I'm still a bit poopy squimish. :o So this works well for me. :)

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9724&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032889&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1164255130117&itemNo=9&In=ALL&N=2032889&Ne=2

I rarely see stray poop in my neighborhood though, so I must be pretty fortunate. The dog park, sadly though, is another story. We do monthly clean-ups at our dog park on a volunteer basis since so many people don't bother. As long as I have my scooper, I can handle that much at least. :)

Mocha's mum
November 23rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hey, at least you're being an honest and responsible pet owner, Smiley. If only everyone had that same mentality. Well, everyone here does....it's just the rest of the world!! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
I see poop everywhere to - not so much on our street but when I take Joey for walks. When I walk my kids to school - there is always about 3 or 4 loads on the way - and its less then one block - poor kids having to dodge all that.