Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skunks

Dog Dancer
April 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Okay, not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anybody have the skunk spray cleaning recipe that I've seen on here? I know it includes peroxide and maybe baking soda... Can't recall it entirely though. My reason is with the two girls I don't want to wait until it's middle of the night, but we know we have skunks around the house and now I've seen signs that they are visiting our bee hives at night. I'm afraid the dogs may go out one evening for their last nightly business and find the skunk:eek:

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to discourage the skunks from visiting us? Apparently they like to eat the bee's - not the honey, just the bee's thanks. And that makes angry bee's which we don't want either. I have put carpet tack strips out around the hives to discourage their nightly visits, but don't know yet if it's working (the dogs can't get to them). Any other suggestions??? Thanks all.

mom_to_many
April 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I found this on-line..I think it's the same stuff I had found in a gardening book I had which was loaned out ...just now realized it was never returned! It sure worked on my boys who never learned.... no smell at all...beats tomato juice mixed w/ skunk smell....ugh!

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide (3%)
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish-washing detergent
Mix it up and apply. Keep it out of the eyes and mouth.

PetFriendly
April 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM
We got the skunks to stay out of our back yard with bright flood lights (the portable construction kind). Apparently they hate bright lights and will seek out food in darker places. Something else that worked when they were living under the porch is human urine... Don't ask, but it worked.

We don't have skunks but I have a bottle of 'Skunk off' that I bought at the vets office just in case (its kind of expensive but works wonders onthe first try!). I hear toothpaste works well also. In either case you don't have to soak the whole dog with it, only the spot where the spray hit. once the dog is dry again, if you can still smell it you missed the spot so try again.

jawert1
April 24th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Something else that worked when they were living under the porch is human urine... Don't ask, but it worked.

not to hijack, but can you confirm this works for jellyfish stings too PetFriendly :p

And the bright floodlights on the motion sensor work really well, especially if you have them on a switch in the house that you can turn them off when everyone is tucked in for the night and in no danger of going outside.

Dog Dancer
April 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mom to Many for the recipe, yes that's the one I was looking for. I had a friend some time back who used it and thought it was great too. I knew I didn't have that much peroxide in the house though, so I want to go buy some stock... Thanks also to Petfriendly and Jawert. I like the idea of the light and may try that, but first I'll have to talk to my bee-guru as I'm not sure if having a bright light by the hive at night would throw off their natural rhythm, although I think temperature controls their activities as much as light maybe. Not sure. If I did the light it would have to be on all night as I'm not only worried about keeping the skunks away from the dogs (although that's HUGE), I don't want them attacking the bee hive and agitating the bee's continually. If they get continually agitated then it makes them very angry and harder to work the hive (and get the great honey).

Thanks again you guys. I knew someone would have the recipe and a good idea too!

Dog Dancer
April 25th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Forgot about the human urine thing. I'm sure the BF can supply some of that late one evening...:D Hey anything is worth a try!

SnowDancer
April 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I E-MAILED THIS TO MYSELF SOME TIME AGO, JUST IN CASE. Saw it listed somewhere. My dog's groomer also told me to do same although they suggested going heavier on the baking soda - and the repeat entire process once rinsed - using dog's normal shampoo. Also make sure you get dog's collar off - fellow brought his dog into groomer's after this experience and had left collar on - and boy did it stink - I happened to be there.

What you need
Next go to a drug store and get the following, if needed:

1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
1 pair of plastic or latex gloves

To Use
Bathe the dog outside or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened.
Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).
Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.
Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.
Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). (If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.)
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.
Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).
After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.

How it works
First a quote from Dr. Caceci of Texas A&M University:

Forget what you have heard about tomato juice--it doesn't work. Skunk spray is mainly composed of low molecular weight thiol compounds. ("Thiols" are compounds with the "-SH radical" attached to a carbon atom.) In industrial applications, alkaline hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used for scrubbing similar compounds from waste gas streams.
Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, when combined, become a "chemical engine" for churning out oxygen. That's why it has to be used immediately after mixing. The soap breaks up the oils in the skunk spray, allowing the other ingredients to do their work.

Dog Dancer
April 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks SnowDancer - the instructions are great - I may not have waited 10 minutes, and the reminder to remove the collar is a good one. Our collars smell at the best of times:o

mafiaprincess
April 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I would use the concoction listed here, and avoid using the skunk off. Last summer my elderly neighbour had her collie sprayed by a skunk at dawn. Her home care worker bought her skunk off, the smell didn't fully come out, and it did something awful to her fur.. A year later her fur is so coarse that its weird, and it's patchy. The vet did skin scrapings, blood tests. There seems to be nothing wrong with the dog.. but her fur went weird right after using the skunk off.. Not that it's definitive that the product sucks.. but after seeing it, I wouldn't want to chance my dog's fur.. that plus why bother using it if it didn't fully remove the smell..

PetFriendly
April 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Her home care worker bought her skunk off, the smell didn't fully come out, and it did something awful to her fur.. but her fur went weird right after using the skunk off.. plus why bother using it if it didn't fully remove the smell..

I can't speak to the funny fur problem, but if the dog still smelled then you didn't hit the 'spot' where the spray was most concentrated.

PetFriendly
April 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM
not to hijack, but can you confirm this works for jellyfish stings too PetFriendly :p

And the bright floodlights on the motion sensor work really well, especially if you have them on a switch in the house that you can turn them off when everyone is tucked in for the night and in no danger of going outside.

I've never had to deal with jelly fish, so I'm not sure...

I left the flood lights on all night and the skunks just stopped coming. I think if the lights are on sensors and the skunks manage to slip by it without setting them off, it won't deter them from coming back quite as well. IMO