Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to pets.ca Lab Question

crsk49
April 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone. Found a lot of your posts interesting and informative. I have 2 dogs, a 4 yr old weimeramer, Rudy and a 15 yr old black lab, Maggie. Maggie has been to the same vet since a puppy. She has developed many lumps over the years, but all have been checked out and are not cancerous, only fatty lumps. Sunday she had a seizure. Lost control of one side, relieved herself both ways, tongue out, drooling, eyes glazed, all 4 legs convulsing. I held her thinking this was it, but after it was over the only effects were her drinking a little water, whimpering a little and wanting food. She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom fine. I don't know what to think. I know she is old, I don't want her in pain, but she doesn't seem to be. Do I just wait and see what happens? All her blood work is fine. I read about brain tumors?? Any help out there? Thanks all!

erykah1310
April 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Was this the first ever seizure? When my Rottie was having her seizures I was shocked when i was reading the information packages on epelepsy that the vet gave me. I was unaware that one seizure a month (ish) is "acceptable" However im not sure if you have been to the vet about the seizure or not. If not definately go and if you did and it isnt epelepsy then it could have been caused by quite a few things.
Also, as far as pain apparently seizures are painless, the animal is confused during the "fit" but as long as there is nothing that they can hurt themselves on and it doesnt last longer than i think 10 minutes (?) they shouldnt be injured.
A brain tumor could cause seizures i suppose ( Keiras started from head trauma) your best bet would be to ask your vet all the questions you need answers for though, information is free.
Sorry to hear about Maggie, hope she feels better soon.

LibbyP
April 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi there crsk49, and welcome I know she's older but she still could have acouple good years left, if you haven't TAKEN her to the vet since her seizure, I'd at least CALL them and see what they say, has she had them before or was this the first? Best of luck, pls keep us posted:fingerscr

crsk49
April 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info, yes this is her first seizure. It happened yesterday morning. So I waited to see how she was today and she seems fine. Keiras started from head trauma? Maggie fell off a seawall last week and swam around for a while, but seemed fine, just a little confused. Maybe that has something to do with it. She was just at the vet, but you're right, I will call first thing in the am. We are traveling to NC Friday, so I want to make sure she is all right. Thanks all!

pamha
April 24th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Our now 14yo chowX (also a Maggie!) had a seizure about a year ago. We, too, thought this was the end for her as for most of the day she couldn`t walk. We were in touch by phone with the emergancy vet and took her in the next day. After that first day she recovered to how she had been before, a bit arthriticy and slow, but able to move around on her own and relieve herself outside. The vet offered to put her on seizure medication, but said we could wait to see if she had another one. His opinion was at her age it was likely a brain tumor but she didn`t seem to be suffering at all and he didn`t recommend having her PTS at that point.

A year later there have been no further seizures and Maggie is still getting around ok. We feel like its day to day with her, (she`s also blind, partly deaf and possibly a bit senile) but as long as she doesn`t seem to be in pain and can get around on her own she is staying with us.

Hope this helps and that your Maggie makes a good recovery for whatever time she has left.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:25 AM
My old lab had a brain tumor.. We didn't know it and then she had a really short seizure in the elevator once and it didn't happened again for a long time. Then a few months later, she had another seizure and my dad brought her to the emergency vet and 2 hours and 6 shots of valium later, she finally stopped seizing. The vet said she most likely would have had brain damage if he revived her, so they put her to sleep. She was 14...

IMO, if you have the money, by all means get an MRI or something, but 15 is quite old for a lab...

Good luck.:fingerscr :grouphug:

crsk49
April 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks and info. Maggie had another seizure around 3am last night, slept on the floor with her. Worried sick, but of course in the morning she seemed fine and even stealing my other dogs food! But I took her to the vet anyway and they put her on phenobarbitol 2 x a day. He said it was a brain tumor, had a few more hard lumps developing right under her throat and ear area, a symptom. The seawall incident didn't cause it, neither did the aspirin a day I've been giving her for arthritis. So we'll keep her on the meds for a month and see what happens. Sounds like our Maggie's are alot alike Pamha!
ps sorry to the admin about putting my question on the wrong thread. Still new to this and a little confused. Thanks all!

erykah1310
April 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Phenobarbitol was what Keira was prescribed as well, however my vet didnt tell me about Pheno harming the liver I believe?? However , im sure someone else will post about it as well, but definately get some milk thistle. Im not sure about dosages or anything, but you definately should know about the side effects of Pheno, But it made a HUGE difference with Keira, the seizures stopped and she was slowly weaned off of it ( because the seizures were caused from head trauma)
Best of luck with Maggie! Take care

crsk49
April 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I asked the vet about pheno side effects, he said it does effect the liver, but it was a toss up with the seizures. She she does have a slightly enlarged liver; so after 1 month we'll stop the pheno and check it and see. I didn't know they have to be weaned off of it. What is milk thistle? Never heard of it. Is it a pill, food, herbal supplement? Let me know and I'll get it right away. Thanks again for all your help. This forum is great!!!