-->

Breed worse than Pit Bull: MOLOSSER

lezzpezz
April 24th, 2006, 01:00 PM
From local rag Saturday:

MOLOSSER BREEDS WILL LIKELY BE FAR WORSE THAN PIT BULLS
Saturday, April 22, 2006

Column: Pet Advice

Provincial legislation made us say goodbye to the pit bull. Well, now there's a more dangerous dog.
For many owners, it was all about "My pit bull is bigger than your pit bull," and due to the utterly unregulated North American dog breeding industry, the breed degenerated into the mess it became.

Anyone who knows a male dog from a female can be a breeder. Most don't bother to check whether you are half-way qualified to own a high-end dog like a pit bull.

When the ban was being drafted, I asked my MPP, "What do you think the people who are attracted to the image of having a pit bull are going to do when you take away their right to have a pit bull? Do you think they're going to buy hamsters?"

Apparently not. The new status dogs are the Molosser breeds, many of which are, or were, so rare that the average trainer, veterinarian, animal control, humane society, etc. had never heard of them.

Next time you see what looks like a pit bull on steroids, something two to three times the size of a pit bull, you're liking looking at one of the Molosser breeds.

Molossers are mastiffs. You've likely heard of English mastiffs, but they're only one of more than 50 kinds.

Molosser breeds are as different in nature as they are size from pit bulls. For the most part, they originated as war dogs; their roles were not to prove "My dog is bigger than your dog," but "My dog can kill you" -- and they did. This is different from the pit bull, which was originally bred for dog-to-dog aggression and to be a decent family pet.

Bad breeding brought instability to pit bulls and I guarantee the same is coming in the Molosser breeds.

All but one of the Molossers I have assessed in the last six months has ended up being euthanized. They were all perfectly healthy, normal examples of their breeds that, in an enthusiast's hands, would still be alive today. They were just too much dog for the people who adopted them.

A year ago I might have received one call a year about a Molosser. I do at least one phone assessment a week now and see one every other week.

The most dangerous part of my job has always been getting in the front door on house calls, but with a little planning -- whether it's a pugnacious Pomeranian or an irascible Rottweiler -- I've been pretty lucky over the last 20 years.

When the backyard breeders get on the band wagon and mess up the Molossers, I have a feeling my luck is either going to run out or I'm soon going to have to do something I've never had to do and that is tell someone, "I don't feel safe. Sorry, I can't help you."

All Molosser breeds are huge and, just like pit bulls, in the wrong hands, they're guns with brains.

I'd really like to see the provincial government force breeders to regulate themselves in a meaningful way or else do it for them and get away from breed banning.

wdawson
April 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
i don't really think any government can fully regulate anything.....if someone wants something bad enough and there is a market for whatever it is then someone will always supply it......i think the breed banning is like banning certain brands of guns........you can own a smith and wesson but not any other brand because smith and wesson only accounted for 10% of all gun related deaths.

twodogsandacat
April 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Something has to be done. A breed ban is easy. Next problem dog - ban that too. And so on and so on. Politicians love the low lying fruit. It's quick and it's easy.

Restricting breeding wouldn't be easy....nothing worth having is.

meb999
April 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Is Molosser the same as a cane corso? eBecause I looked up pics, and Molossers looka lot like a cane corso...or maybe I'm just a dummie :D

BoxerRescueMTL
April 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yup, a Cane Corso is a Molosser.

erykah1310
April 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Cane Corso s are beautiful dogs, I had no idea of thier temperment. I have been eyeing the ones in the dogs in canada magazine for almost 2 years now, I keep telling my boyfriend that one day I want one of them. I had no idea seriously how they could be!!! Good thing i didnt purchase one yet!! ( still would however but only from a reputable breeder of course!)
Thanks for the heads up on that!
Lets hope they dont fall into the wrong hands now that the " evil" pitbulls are banned!! (sheesh) Its a sign of things to come, thanks to our government :mad:

Georgiapeaches
April 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Huh...well...I saw my first Cane Corso in a pet store not long ago here with some young guys. I also have been hearing Presa's are becoming ever more popular around here...not to mention I actually saw Presa mix pups for sale
in a local pet store. The people who bought them probably wouldn't even realize what kind of dog they were getting and the traits of the breed. Or the pups attracted undesirable poeple.

Lezz, who was the author of this?

This is a key statement Bad breeding brought instability to pit bulls SO very true. Average Joe breeding :mad: has been the downfall.

I knew these would be the next targeted...they include so much Rotties, Mastiffs, etc. Banning them isn't the answer...just like the pitbulls, the crappy people will move on to another type of dog.

LM1313
April 25th, 2006, 09:30 AM
They need to target the crappy people instead of the dogs. Obviously these people are going to continue to encourage and train dogs to be aggressive. :( And if one breed is denied to them, they're going to go right on to the next breed.

BullLover
April 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Here were are....Starting all over again.

So, they think we're okay with banning any dog? NO!!!!

It's not just the pit bull that we are fighting for, it's all dogs.

Ban stupid people, not dogs.

lezzpezz
April 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
As predicted...idiots will now latch on to the next breed that fits the bill....

GP, it was John Wade who penned the article. LFP Sat. 22 issue.

This is really unfolding as so many knew it would.....scary times.....:(

meb999
April 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
First the pitties, then the mastiffs, then the rotties, then the boxers...what then? Well, those Chihuahua's can also be vicious little ones!
So let's ban all miniature dogs.

And all medium breeds too. How 'bout all dogs?

Ands cats...with their vicious claws and itty bitty piercing teeth?? DEADLY!!

Oooo, and don't even get me started on mice and squirrels...

And plants....those cactuses can cause serious damage if you sit on them.

Even flowering plants are dangerous -- I mean you can be walking along, minding your own business, and say to yourself 'oooo, look at the pretty flower', and BLAM you get hit by a car because you weren't looking!

I say ban all plant forms....

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Never mind my mom has had dogs for her whole life, never got bit. Goes to show a house (real estate agent) and gets bit by a cat. Cat didn't have shots, mom had to get a tetna. My mom never reported the cat b/c she said it wasn't the cats fault. Apprently the owner has never given a vaccine to the cat b/c its an indoor cat. My moms whole arm went numb and she developed a rash. Scary stuff.

Sorry kinda off topic story..

Anyways I agree Meb we should ban everything. Or we can contruct bullet proof, fire proof, puncture proof bubbles for everyone. If you get hit you just bounce to the side of the road.

I am gonna start a petition as to why these measures aren't already in place. Do they not know the pain a flower can cause.

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Do they not know the pain a flower can cause.

Amazing, simply amazing! I stopped and smelled some flowers the other day in one of my stores and I started sneezing -- the pain, oh, the pain!

LM1313
April 25th, 2006, 05:17 PM
What about rabbits? Rabbits have claws and long, deadly teeth! Sure, sure, they LOOK all innocent and twitchy-nosed, but once you let your guard down, POW!

twodogsandacat
April 25th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Todayís law target any dog that has characteristics substantially similar to a pit bull. What about the mixed off spring of some of these dogs? What would they look likeÖmaybe a pit bull mix.

Sure the purebreds are coming in now. Mastiffs, Tosas, Corsos. Whatís going to happen as those that canít afford the pure bred dogs want dogs? Mixes thatís what, provided by BYB. How many of those mixes could be mistaken for pit bull mixes?

LibbyP
April 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
What it's going to end up being is a total dog ban, if you look up Molosser breeds, it gives you a list of about 100, ranging from Boston terriers and French Bulldogs to Great Danes, St Bernards, and of course the one dear to my heart English Mastiffs. Tell me what kind world will it be like if we couldn't have our very loved and cared for pet:sad: , the problem is not the breed of dog, its the un-educated, deplorable people out there who giving these dogs a bad name, I can tell you there are alot of smaller breeds that are more likely to bite but..... and go unreported as they don't cause the damage that lrg breeds do (pls don't get me wrong I love all dogs) I think it's just wrong, who going to 'police' this? Can anyone walk up to a med sized dog with a short/no coat and say it's a pit bull - come on:mad:

meb999
April 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Can anyone walk up to a med sized dog with a short/no coat and say it's a pit bull - come on:mad:

Apparently Michael Bryant can.

Lise
April 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
When my daughter was born,I had a man come up to me and tell me my pit bull was going to attack her someday.He was ten at the time and a boxer! lots of experts.Loved what you said about rabbits,one of ours is deadly my husband said it's my fault for neutering him.(ha ha)