Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

addisons disease

jaspersmom
April 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Jasper is a 9 year old lab cross. recently he was diagnosed with addison's disease. he is controlled with 2 steroids and other than the expense all is well.
However he has developed renal medullary washout, in other words he has little control of his bladder. He is in and out all day and soaks his bed at night. Apparently this reaction occurs in one out ten dogs with Addison's.
The vet was here today asnd took more ablood and a urine sample, but says as far as he knows it is one of those 'wait it out' problems. Apparently it can take several months. Does any one have any info on this problem. Needless to say I am having a problem coping with it.

BMDLuver
April 24th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Perhaps try adult sized diapers. You cut a spot out for the tail and wrap around. Might not be the perfect solution but it will reduce the number of clean ups. Sorry to hear your guy is going through this.

SnowDancer
April 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I know that there are some really good forums for dogs suffering from Cushings and from Addison's Disease where you should be able to get some really good advice. Certainly diapers occurred to me as well. Human if they fit or you can buy dog diapers. There is a web site - I know you can find it if you google the Bottoms Up Lease that is produced by a company that develops products for disabled and senior dogs. Hope everything works out for you.

rainbow
April 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I know that there are some really good forums for dogs suffering from Cushings and from Addison's Disease where you should be able to get some really good advice.

There`s probably more but I know of this one:

www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe.cgi/k9Addisons