Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle

kspj2
April 24th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I have a Beagle puppy soon to be 5 months old. Would like to hear from anyone that have a Beagle to share with me.

lpn169
April 24th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Hi, we have a Beagle as well! My son's show dog, she is a sweetie, but wow what a challenge sometimes , lol. Would love to see some pics!

SnowDancer
April 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I had a Beagle many years ago. Words of advice - there is no food item that the Beagle won't be able to reach or will not eat - also, even if your yard is fenced, unless you have concrete 20 feet deep, your Beagle will dig right out under the fence - unless of course jumping is also - although more dangerous an option. They can definitely be a handful and love to bark.

Beaglemom
April 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I have a female beagle, Misty, who will be 10 years old this coming June. I've had her since a pup, I found her when she was 6-7 wks old, dumped by her "breeder". They are great dogs but can be quite a handful at certain times, especially when they are not completely mature. They love to bark, bay and howl when excited or bored. They love the company of people and other animals.

A beagle will always follow its nose and in doing so will run into trouble at times. For this reason, they cannot be trusted off leash. Once they pick up a scent, they tend to ignore all training commands and are off in search of whatever it was that they picked up the scent for. They can get lost in their search and not be able to find their way home.

They are wonderful, loving dogs that can be quite destructive if bored. It is very important, especially with puppies, to make sure that they always have safe toys to play with otherwise your chairs, shoes, etc., will become their chew toys.

Beagles are also extremely smart dogs. People don't usually give them credit for their intelligence that they deserve because they tend to be very stubborn as well. They learn very quickly, both what you want them to learn and things you would rather they didn't, like how to open cabinet doors or their crates!

Beagles are wonderful dogs. My Misty loves to give kisses. I believe that this may be a beagle trait as well.

I too would love to see pics of your beagle. They are one of the most adorable puppies!

lpn169
April 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Beaglemom is right on the mark with that description!!! :thumbs up

kspj2
April 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Here is a photo of Bailey when he was a puppy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/andrew3d/Photo153.jpg

Beaglemom
April 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
He is soooo cute! Reminds me of my Misty when she was little.