Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog vomits every 7-10 days for 2 years, otherwise healthy

JimInNH
April 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
My Lab came back from vacation almost 3 years ago and has thrown up on a regular basis ever since. It is on a 7 - 10 day cycle. Rarely will there be a skip and then maybe because I didn't see it happen.

After the first 2 months he had ultra sound and was seen at Angle Memorial Animal Hospital with no conclusive results.

The cycle starts when he doesn't eat his meal. Instead of being next to me when I make his food, he stands on the other side of the room. He won't eat and will get sick 12-24 hours later. He won't eat until afer he throws up.

His farts changed once this happened. Before they smelled like you walked in it to the point of checking your shoes. Now they are just foul and clear a room.

My local Vet, who I trust, says this is acute intestinal disorder.

I think something as regular as this and as long lasting must have a more definitive resolution. I have searched the internet and do not find anything like this.

As a note, during that vacation we were on a lake and Floyd got hot spots or sores where he was not dried off completely - he did not stay out of the water and I didn't know better at the time. Anyway, that cured in about 2 weeks. For what its worth.

I'm hoping someone has heard or seen something similar.

Thanks

OntarioGreys
April 23rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Does the vomitting occur around the same time of the day?

How many times a day do you feed and what time of the day?

The reason I ask is some dogs will suffer from what is called empty stomach syndrome, feeding more frequently at least 2 meals a day and giving a snack before bedtime like a slice of bread can help prevent. which to me sould like the most likely cause.

Another possibility is a lack of good bacteria in his stomach, a tbsp of yogurt could help, but incase he is lactose intolerant , an acidophilous tablet (contaions the same bacterai that yogurt has without the dairy) can help, you can purchase from a health food store

JimInNH
April 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the reply,

He can vomit at any time of day, mostly at night.

I feed him twice a day - 7am and 7 pm. He is lean and well muscled and excercises a lot. Over the years the diet has changed trying several courses that each lasted at least a month. Nothing ever effected the regularity of his throwing up.

The throw up is usually clear fluid with red flecks of ? blood. Rarely will there be any food in it as he stops eating well before actually vomitting.

If bacteria were part of the problem what would cause a long cycle like that.

Its almost like something is living in him that secretes something or discharges something periodically and that this causes him to become sick.

The vet's next step would be to put a scope in from both ends, but I want to avoid that unless his quality of life starts to decline.

Prin
April 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
What have you been feeding him? I'd start by gradually switching to a food with none of the ingredients that he has already had.

My big Boo is intolerant to chicken. If he gets some, then between 12 hours and 3 days later, he starts to throw up just bile- long after digesting. If he gets more, he throws up once a night for a couple of days and then it gets worse quickly and he gets diarrhea and throws up for hours and hours. Basically, the chicken disrupts his body allowing the bad bacteria to take over (bacterial overgrowth). At that point, the only thing that can stop it is an antivomiting injection and a shot of penicillin.

So ya, maybe your dog is not as extreme yet, but I think this might be a possibility...

We switched Boo to Solid Gold Wolf King, that doesn't have chicken in it at all, and he's fine now. He hasn't thrown up in months.:thumbs up

JimInNH
April 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
He's been on the Vet sold Gentle Digestive solid food, I've made cooked ground beef and rice, IAM's lamb and rice (currently), food without fillers, and several other diets.

All for more than a month at a time and all without changing or effecting the cycle of vomiting by a day.

I am looking for something that works on a 7-10 day cycle - I don't think it can be diet related. Everything seems too consistent for that.

jesse's mommy
April 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
You do know that Iams is not good food right? And also that food sold at the Vets usually isn't good either right? Do a search for foods here and you will find a ton of information about different foods for your pet and how to distinguish what is good and what is not and why it is good or not. There are also a lot of recipes if you wanted to switch to home cooked meals or even a raw diet. There is a ton of information here. Prin is our food guru so if there are any questions, I'm sure she will be on here soon to answer them. Good luck! :thumbs up

JimInNH
April 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I did not know that Iam's is not good,same for Vet food.

What I am really looking for is someone, anyone, at least one person who has had a dog get sick on about a weekly basis for multiple years.

I don't think it could be diet because when I have changed diets the new diet has sometimes been completely different. You would think that within 4 weeks of a change there would be one week when he did not get sick - yet that has never happened.

Thinking about it, it could be the water - but that has not affected two cats and my daughters dog who sometimes comes for a week at a time.

If I could find any disease that works on a weekly cycle I think I could make progress in finding out what is wrong.

Thanks for making suggestions. I did look at the diet section of this forum and think I will make some homemade food again.

jawert1
April 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Has the vet done a full parasite test panel? Certain internal parasites can lay eggs that hatch on a regular cycle, meaning upon that hatching, the body behaves differently due to the overload. Malaria in humans works this way, permanent but flare ups happen on a regular basis (my grandfather had this). Giardia is very similar (though usually causes diarrhea). Liver flukes and the like are all nasties that wouldn't be caught in standard bloodwork, so if this hasn't been done, it might bear looking into. Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of this cycle and get it stopped :pawprint:

jesse's mommy
April 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Jawert has some excellant questions to answer.

As for the food, you don't think your dog could have some allergies?

JimInNH
April 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks Jawert1.

The vet did an analysis of 3 stool samples. He and Angel Memorial Hospital did a lot of bloodwork. I think it is some kind of parasite, but if it is there must be someone else that has heard of such an unwavering weekly cycle. I will ask my vet about doing some more blood work - that's a good suggestion.

If a parasite was left in the dog untreated for almost 3 years you would think that the condition would get worse or that secondary symtoms would occur.

Thanks again Jesse's Mom.

I have not considered allergies because the symtoms are regular regardless of season and in NH the winters are dry and cold and in the summer, well nice. It would then have to be an allergy to something in the house. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Maybe that's another question for his vet?

meb999
April 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I have not considered allergies because the symtoms are regular regardless of season and in NH the winters are dry and cold and in the summer, well nice. It would then have to be an allergy to something in the house. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Maybe that's another question for his vet?

I think maybe she meant food allergies. When I was young we had a Bichon who was allergic to a chemical preservative used in some dog-foods. It took forever for us to figure out what was wrong with her. She used to puke, but not regularly and not always at the same times. We finally found a more 'natural' dog food, with fewer ingredients, and she was fine. Food allergies are at the root of ALOT of problems, that's why alot of people on this thread have asked about your food. You should check out the dog-cat food forum -- there's alot of good info there!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

JimInNH
April 24th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Ohh! Never Mind..... To quote Emily Litella (aka Gilda Radnor)

I think I will go back to either ground beef and whole rice or chicken and rice, maybe alternate them adding in some veggies which I did not do the last time I did this.

JimInNH
April 24th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I would still like to find someone who has, had, or cured a dog that throws up on a regular schedule for over a year.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Why are you posting so big? That's a little rude, no?

I think most people who have a chronic vomiting pet stay at the vet and not message boards. ;)

If it is a chicken intolerance, feeding cooked chicken won't help it.

And if it's an allergy, it could take up to 6 months and sometimes even longer to clear up.

And please don't yell at us. We're trying to help you know. Obviously if somebody had a dog in the EXACT same position, they would have posted already.

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Thank you Prin, well said.

JimInNH, understand this, we are not vets here. It would be the wrong thing for us to give you any type of medical advice here. As Prin said, if someone had this problem they would have posted by now, but most people who have a dog that throws up consistently for years would (as Prin said) would be having their pet stay at the vet and not a message board. The suggestions that are given here are for you to discuss with your vet. Please don't be rude with the suggestions. We've haven't been rude to you.

JimInNH
April 25th, 2006, 07:08 AM
:sorry:

There was no agressiveness or yelling. I just wanted to highlight my search for someone with a similar problem. When I saw how large the text was I was surprised, but I did not interpret that as 'yelling' - I guess I'm too new at forums.

Based on the advice here I am going to change the diet but I am not prepared to have my dog stay at the vets for a two week period yet.

jawert1
April 25th, 2006, 07:49 AM
and thank goodness too :) I've found that my dog's behaviour changes when at the vets. Sometimes the reason I've carted them in there for doesn't at all show itself since they're too busy sitting for cookies :angel: You may specifically want to have him tested for lyme disease as well if he hasn't been already. Given you're in NH, I should think you're coming up against what we in VA are already - flea and tick season (found ANOTHER tick on the kitchen floor - go FRontline Plus!). And that sort of thing might be causing cyclical illness. Good luck, it's so tough, and definitely look at the food allergy angle. It will save you to feed him bland for 2 weeks over sending to the vet for 2 weeks :)

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2006, 07:59 AM
You mentioned about water and no one else being ill from it, pet or human. While in university, I was very ill. No one else on campus ill at all. I came home for holidays and saw my family doctor. They ran some tests and asked the school to supply them with a water sample for testing. It came back with an extreme sulfur content. They then did another blood analysis on me as well as urine, looking specifically at sulfur levels. Mine were off the charts. Thus I went back to university only being able to eat food not cooked in water or making my own meals with bottled water for boiling. I presented with uncontrolled vomitting about twice a week. School thought maybe I had an eating disorder. This may not be the case but wanted to point out simply that many non reactions do not necessarily steer away from one reaction.

chico2
April 25th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I would also like to add,I as a pet-owner used to believe,the food sold by my vet and food like Iams would be good for my cats:confused:
However,vets are usually not nutritionists and it's up to us to read the label on any food,to ensure we are not feeding our cats/dogs useless,sometimes dangerous fillers.
With your dog,in my layman opinion,it sounds like some kind of parasite,only because of the strange cycle:confused:
He looks in your avatar like a really beautiful healthy Lab:pawprint:

kaytris
April 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I agree, I think you need to get back to the vet - if you aren't happy with what your present vet says, get a second opinion. Is there a teaching hospital near you?

First thing I would want the vet to do is scope the intestinal tract, to see if there is some internal issue causing this, as well as a full blood panel.

From another site: http://www.2ndchance.info/vomiting.htm
and:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00421.htm

Hope that helps... I have a dog that has stress induced colitis (if she's very stressed, she gets explosive, bloody diarrhea) and what helped was having her on a raw diet for several years - this seemed to allow her intestinal tract time to heal and she has now been switched back to kibble and is doing fine. Its been several years since we've had a colitis attack. BUT I'm not saying that raw would be right for your dog - I would strongly recommend getting the scope first.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Based on the advice here I am going to change the diet but I am not prepared to have my dog stay at the vets for a two week period yet.
I'd try this one first- it's simple, not too many ingredients and no corn, wheat or chicken: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html
Make sure to introduce it really gradually though. :)

losinsusan
April 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Isn't it possible that this is a dog with a stomach problem not unlike humans with digestive problems. I think the yougart is a great idea for starters that can't hurt. Maybe he just has a nervous stomach. Or problems with digestion. I don't always think switching foods is the answer. Sometimes it can make it worse too. Allergy testing perhaps? Blood in the vomit is stomach irritation. Many people live with this also. Maybe he needs something to help digestion or to reduce acid?