Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wellness (OMH)

rainbow
April 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
I just read on another forum that Wellness is now being manufactured by Hagen (Nutrience). A lot of people are saying their dogs will not eat it now. Also someone heard that the meat is now being imported from Central America, but that has not been confirmed. Anyone here having any problems with it?

jesse's mommy
April 23rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Oh no, we just switched Jesse to Wellness Chicken and Sweet Potato.

cpietra16
April 23rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Winnie has been on the senior diet and was doing Ok, and still is....I now have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

Prin
April 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
A while ago, they changed the formula and I heard a few dogs stopped liking it. I didn't hear about the hagen thing though. :(

mafiaprincess
April 24th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm partway through the last 33 pound bag I bought of whitefish wellness. 1/2 way through this bag she started skipping meals.. So I've been mixign it with wolfking.. Though she doesn't do a happy dance about either, at least she's eating now.

gomez
April 24th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Is there a problem with meat from Central America?

Luvmypit
April 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I hope not cause capone was on Nutrience and we switched to Wellness.

I will be mad!

rainbow
April 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Hagen is venturing into a more hollistic line, thus the purchase of Wellness. It's still not clear if they purchased Wellness Canada or Wellness period.

Thanks for the info....I`ll see what I can find out.

As a sidenote, Wellness and Solid Gold are going to be available at Petco as of June 1/06. Don`t know if that`s just in the U.S. or here in Canada too...will try to find that out too.

jesse's mommy
April 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Petco is here in the States. I'm happy to hear they will be carrying them. Yippee!!!!

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Petco (U.S.) has carried Solid Gold for a little while although they don't have it in all their stores due to space. You can order it online if you want. I didn't notice whether or not they sold Wellness.

jesse's mommy
April 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM
But they don't carry them in the stores close to me. :sad: I've looked into ordering online, but then shipping is outrageous. The store we buy Wellness at right now is this little organic vitamin/grocery store near us and they give a 5% discount on ordering a case.

gomez
April 25th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I just read on another forum that Wellness is now being manufactured by Hagen (Nutrience). A lot of people are saying their dogs will not eat it now. Also someone heard that the meat is now being imported from Central America, but that has not been confirmed. Anyone here having any problems with it?

But wait... you still have not said what is wrong with meat from Central America?? You mentioned it for a specific reason, no?

rainbow
April 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
But wait... you still have not said what is wrong with meat from Central America??

If you mean "healthwise" there`s nothing wrong. I would imagine it`s just as safe as anywhere else in the world including Canada. I just don`t think we should import when we have our own industry here.:D

Hagen is venturing into a more hollistic line, thus the purchase of Wellness. It's still not clear if they purchased Wellness Canada or Wellness period.

Hagen did not purchase Wellness. They have been contracted by Wellness to manufacture their food.:pawprint:

SunGurl372
April 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
But they don't carry them in the stores close to me. :sad: I've looked into ordering online, but then shipping is outrageous. The store we buy Wellness at right now is this little organic vitamin/grocery store near us and they give a 5% discount on ordering a case.

I tried buying Solid Gold from Petco, but they just never had it in stock, especially the Wolf King. So I had to give up.

Jesse's mommy...if you're interested, you should look into ordering the Timberwolf online. Solid Gold's shipping prices ARE outrageous (something like $20US for a single bag when I last checked), so I was surprised to find that the Timberwolf is pretty cheap to ship.

I ordered two 33lb. bags of the TW, and shipped them to Jacksonville for a total of $105. VERY reasonable. The shipping was something like $6 total, and they discount 10% if you order over $90 (hence the two bags). And the bags are foil, so I have lots more confidence in them staying bug free for a period of time.

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well, Timberwolf's HQ is in Florida... Maybe that's why.

If you do get Timberwolf, try the ocean blue... That's what I would feed if they sold it up here (and I had to switch from Wolf King).

SunGurl372
April 25th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I bought the Dakota Bison, because that's what was closest to the Solid Gold and Merrick's I fed Harley.

I was a bit worried going with an all fish food, because Harley turned her nose up at the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe I "taste tested" with her.

Anybody know if there's serious drawbacks to blending two different formulas from the same manufacturer? If it would be okay, I could mix the Ocean Blue and the Dakota Bison, to up her fish content.....

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Anybody know if there's serious drawbacks to blending two different formulas from the same manufacturer? If it would be okay, I could mix the Ocean Blue and the Dakota Bison, to up her fish content.....

Sungurl...check out Timberwolf's website (www.timberwolforganics.com) as I'm pretty sure I read on there that they recommend rotating among their different formulas.:pawprint:

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Of course! They're not likely to recommend rotating among other companies' formulas...:crazy:

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that would be :crazy: for them to do that. At least they're not stupid anyway.:D :D

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Wellness is being produced in a Hagen Plant however, it is strictly to OMH specification, ingredients are purchased specifically to specification of OMH and plant is inspected regularly by OMH. It's merely an outsourcing on OMH part but has not changed their formula or quality. Spoke with a US Representative of Wellness in person to ask this information. Just wanted to clarify that as went straight to the horses mouth so to speak. :)

rainbow
May 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
When Wellness decided to contract out the manufacturing of their food they did not announce it publically. Alot of people noticed that their dogs were all of a sudden not doing well on it or started refusing to eat it. Is it just a coincidence that it happened "at the same time"?:confused:

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Not really sure why OMH would have to announce publically that they are using a different plant to produce their product? If you have concerns, why not write the company and ask them about it? They seem pretty open to direct inquiries. Seems to make sense to ask them... perhaps it has nothing to do with the plant change but maybe a slight formula change? Never can tell but best to ask instead of leaving it to conjecture.

I forgot to ask about the meat question so will do so when next I speak to them as they have some new snacks on the market that my dogs are going nuts for which is rare with my old gal.

Prin
May 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Well, from what we've learned in the past month or so, no dog food company is 100% open when it comes to where their food is processed... Right? So it's not too surprising.

I thought Wellness changed their formula though- on their site for a bit there was something like "Now with this" or whatever showing the new ingredient... I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I wish I could remember what it was.:o

mafiaprincess
May 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM
In the little booklet on the bag they never came out and said exactly what they had done to the food.. and until it was brought up and I had mostly switched Cider off it did I realize that I wasn't sure exactly what they had done.

Which is pretty much the same dancing around without telling you that they have on their site..

"At Wellness, we are on a constant quest to provide foods that advance the overall wellbeing of dogs and stay true to our mission to do whatever it takes to make the healthiest food and treats for the pets that depend on us. As an evolution of this mission and in support of dog's everywhere, we have increased the health benefits of our Wellness dry dog line. These enhancements complement the existing ingredients by adding more healthy nutrients and whole-food sources that are now even more delicious and digestible. For dogs, that means more utilizable energy and help in maintaining immune function, cellular health and disease resistance.

These enhanced recipes contain all of the high quality, real-food ingredients Wellness is known for, including USDA inspected, hormone-free, ethoxyquin-free meats, wholesome grains, fruits and vegetables and a host of phyto-nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

As with all Wellness recipes, ingredients are carefully chosen for their nutritional benefits and create a complete, well-balanced formula for optimal health and wellbeing. That means that all Wellness recipes continue to be free of rendered animal fats or meat by-products, added sugars, allergens like wheat, corn, dairy or soy and artificial colors, flavorings and chemical preservatives.

These enhanced formulas are based on the latest advancements in natural pet nutrition as well as help from consumers, retailers, nutritionists, vets and of course, dogs!"
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/dry_intro.asp?pCode=dry

It specifies some minor changes, but doesn't say enough as to how it was made better to make dogs like it more, or anything else their literature is claiming. The booklet on the bag didn't include stuff like now with added taurine.. Just what was up above and dogs prefer the new formula 3:1.
My dog was in the one category.. *shrug*

Prin
May 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Well this part is good: "ethoxyquin-free meats"- that means they claim their Menhaden fish meal isn't preserved with ethoxyquin... :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
May 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Rocking, at 3am I was too bleary-eyed to be taking in much of their site, lol.

rainbow
May 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Not really sure why OMH would have to announce publically that they are using a different plant to produce their product? If you have concerns, why not write the company and ask them about it?

I'm not picking on OMH specifically and I do not think that there's a need to inform about a change in manufacturing plants.

But, ALL pet food companies should have to announce a formula change publically. A sticker or whatever on their bags and an immediate announcement on their website. If a company changed an ingredient in their food and my dog was allergic to it, I certainly would like to be informed before my dog ate the food. :eek:

BMDLuver
May 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I'm not picking on OMH specifically and I do not think that there's a need to inform about a change in manufacturing plants.

But, ALL pet food companies should have to announce a formula change publically. A sticker or whatever on their bags and an immediate announcement on their website. If a company changed an ingredient in their food and my dog was allergic to it, I certainly would like to be informed before my dog ate the food. :eek:
Makes total sense to me so why not write their customer service and suggest it? Public opinion does seem to count quite a bit with them so heck, give em yours! :thumbs up

rainbow
May 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Hmmm....give them my opinion about what?

1. I don't think they have to inform the public that they contracted out the manufacturing of their food.

2. They did put a little booklet on their bags informing of changes made to their food.

IMO, OMH did absolutely nothing wrong. But not all companies do inform the public and I wish there was some way of forcing them to do so.