Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog waste bags, what to use?

Tiny_Scotti
April 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hello,

I am new here. I have a Scottish terrier for 2 years now and I was browsing eBay and saw an auction for BioBag - dog waste bags. Are they reliable? Has anybody used it? I am just wondering if they're OK to get.

Thanks!

:)

chico2
April 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
I use the bags my newspaper comes in,or any bag I have...not environmentally friendly,I know:o

jesse's mommy
April 23rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Truth? I use plastic grocery bags. :o

wdawson
April 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
i use vanilla scented doggy bags........20 for a dollar at the dollar store.

chico2
April 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Got to look in to that,Bailey,my walking companion has awfully stinky poop and often she poops twice,
I can live with $1 for 20 bags:D

PetFriendly
April 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
The vanilla bags are even cheaper at Dollarama... You can get a box of 50 for a $1! I find though that even the ones that aren't scented tie up nicely and don't let much odour out.

wdawson
April 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
pet friendly......i just looked at the box and it is 60 for a buck.......the 20 pack was from liquidation world.......dollerama is the better place .

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
mmmm!! Vanilla scented poop what will they think of next - truthfully I use plastic grocery bags too - actually our town has put up doggie poop bag dispensers all over the place too - so sometimes I grab a few on my walks too. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
So what do you guys do with your poop bags - Do you take them home or throw them in the nearest garbage can? :D

Also if its garbage day and your taking your doggie for a walk is it ok to throw it in someone elses garbage can - it will be picked up that day - or is that taboo.

Personally I throw it in the nearest public garbage can - I dont normally throw it in a private garbage can - but I did one time - but was scared of getting caught. :eek:

But if someone where to throw their dogs poop in my garbage can (providing its in a bag of course) I wouldnt mind at all.:)

Some people are anal about that kind of stuff. Not me garbage is garbage :D

wdawson
April 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
our walks are mostly very early(5am:eek: ) and late at night (9pm and later) dogs are too tired from daycare everyday too want to go for a walk,so if need be if garbage day is the next morning then i will place in the garbage can that is closest....if not then i bring home.

Tiny_Scotti
April 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
But those scented vanilla bags are not environmental friendly, are they? I heard that grocery bags take 100 years to decompose and the poops tied up in the bags don't decompose because there's no air. I'm a biology student, so I am quite the enveronmental friendly person :P I think I'm going to spend that $8 on 50 bags. Probably lasts for a month.. What do you think?

rainbow
April 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I think you`re one in a million.:angel: The rest of us just use regular plastic bags.:evil:

coppperbelle
April 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
My dogs don't usually poop on walks. They do that in the dog run before we go out. I do carry on my belt loop a little container that looks like a fire hydrant that holds a roll of doggy poop bags. I bought it at Petsmart.

technodoll
April 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
garbage cans are so few and far between in my neighborhood, i will often walk for many blocks with a stinky bag in my hand to find somewhere, anywhere suitable to dump it. i'm happy if it's trash day and i can unload on a pile of rubbish that will be picked up in a few hours! if the darn city invested in a little more waste removal, life would be much easier :(

domesticzookeep
April 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
I buy the "Biodegradable cornstarch Pet Waste Clean Up Bags"

.... made w/ cornstarch, recyclable, etc....just no info on the box on how quickly the biodegrade.....hmmmmm.....:confused:

slighltly more expensive than the vanilla scented ones, but they seem to work well (good size, hold odours, look like green plastic bags)....and I wanted something a bit more 'eco friendly'....

...but I should probably see if more info is online.....everything is 'biodegradeable'....it's more of in who's lifetime - all the box says is it 'degrades faster than reg plastic' :rolleyes:

C.
:ca:

Prin
April 23rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
So what do you guys do with your poop bags - Do you take them home or throw them in the nearest garbage can? :D

Also if its garbage day and your taking your doggie for a walk is it ok to throw it in someone elses garbage can - it will be picked up that day - or is that taboo.
I don't throw it in people's cans because the garbage men just dump it and sometimes, they get left behind. :eek: :yuck:

Honestly, I prefer milk bags the best. They don't "leak". We usually get two fairly massive loads per bag though.

But then if you double up, people assume you haven't picked up a load (if you're walking two big dogs). :rolleyes: I've actually been yelled at about it in parks by people I meet and I offered up my big bag of dump to the criticizer for DNA testing to see if there really are two samples in there. Nobody has accepted yet.:D

mafiaprincess
April 23rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
I use the bag the toronto star comes in. Not like I could reuse those bags for anything else anyhow.

Skryker
April 23rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm lucky in that my pups prefer home turf for their potty. In fact, they will nearly fly down the sidewalk to get home if they really have to go. :o I always carry baggies "in case", though. I get the vanilla scented 60/$1 ones, too. They're very thin and fit easy in pockets, but are sturdy enough to do the job and tie up well.

For yard clean-up, I use a small bag as a glove and a grocery store bag for collection-and try not to think of how long plastic bags inside of a garbage bag will take to degrade. :sad:

I keep forgetting to ask my Mom what she used to sprinkle in the poop well that was in our back yard. I don't know what you really call it, but it was a metal lid in the ground that you lifted and deposited the poop inside, so I've always thought of it as a "poop well". I know Mom put something in there so that there was never any smell, but I don't know what it was.

domesticzookeep
April 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
I use the bag the toronto star comes in. Not like I could reuse those bags for anything else anyhow.

Sorry for the hijack.......I save these up & when I have enough, I leave them out for the delivery lady to pick up for re-use.....saves them from buying them.....

mafiaprincess
April 24th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah.. I found out after I started using them for poop that the delivery person gets forced to buy them, and even the rubber bands out of pocket.. Before maybe 4 months ago, I didn't know. I accidentally met up with the delivery person at a weird hour and they told me they were quitting because they couldn't afford stuff like that.

I think it's why the delivery person switches here so often. I leave a giant bag of rubber bands every so often for the person, but can't part with my free to me poop bags. They are too convienient.

chico2
April 24th, 2006, 08:29 AM
What you are saying is true,the delivery-person,the lowest paid at the Star,pays for us to get a dry news-paper and I too used to save the bags and leave them on the door for him to pick up.
Sunday I got a very wet paper:(
I often have to carry Baileys stinky poop for 1/2 hour,no garbage-cans around,but it's no big deal,after 3 babies,litterboxes and kitty-vomit NO big deal:D
On many occasions I've had people come out and check if I picked up after Bailey and it's a good thing to have the stinky evidence in my hand..

PetFriendly
April 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM
You're right I noticed the 60 count today...
2 out of 5 time Charley will poop on a walk so I don't feel too bad using plastic bags. I clean the yard with a shovel and put it all in a big paint bucket that we seal with its lid and deliver ourselves to the dump to avoid 'explosions' when the dump truck compacts the trash on the street :yuck:
I always bring my dog poop home, i think I read somewhere that you should, though I also remember seeing that you should flush it... At least I'm 50% compliant. I wouldn't use public garbage cans out of respect for everyone else. Who knows how often they are cleaned and that can really stink in the summer heat!