Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is allergic

plewyckyj
April 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
I have a seven year old grey tabby named Mugsy that has developed a rash on both sides of his head from the eyes to the ears. The vet told me that this is most likely an allergic reaction to something, and prescribed some cortisone. Mugsy took the medication for two weeks, but the rash did not disappear, and he is often scratching the area. I will be returning to the vet in a few days, but was wondering if any one had any suggestions as how I can alleviate the discomfort for Mugsy so that he is not so itchy. His apetite is good, and he is drinking adequately. His behaviour is otherwise normal.

Thank you,
Peter

chico2
April 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
I think you should try to figure out what he could be allergic to,plastic-dishes( usually shows up around the mouth)I changed mine to stainless steel,maybe you washed his bedding or blankets etc,,in a new detergent,or maybe you sprayed something with FeeBreeze or something similar.
Or he could be allergic to his food..
If you let him outside,it could be just about anything..
I am sure your vet could give you a salve to relieve his itching,we all know how uncomfortable it is to be itchy.
One of my cats was given Variton-creme,but he was chewing off his fur on his tummy,it stopped him from chewing right away.