Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Adoption adjustments

H.P.
April 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
I adopted a 47 lb, 9 month old female bloodhound/lab mix about 24 hours ago, her name is Allie. She had been at the shelter for basically all her life, in a pen with her brother (who bullied her). I know that there is alot of adjustment for her, moving to a home where she is the only dog (I do have a cat in the house, too). What has me worried is that she is not really eating or drinking, she has had almost 1/2 cup of puppy chow, and a couple of milk bones, but to my knowledge has not had any water, she has not peed or pooped since I got her. I am using the same food that they used at the shelter. She just lays curled up in the corner, very quietly, nervous/scared. Every sound scares her. Her nose is still wet and cold, so I figure she is not dehydrated. Any ideas on how to make her transition easier? When should I become worried about her not eating/drinking? I am leaving the food and water out for her all the time. I want her to be happy here. Thank! H.P.

cpietra16
April 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
I never had a dog that did not eat, but I did have a cat that had trouble trusting and stayed hidden under a bad. I finaly coaxed her out with tuna juice. But I am not surprised at the behavior. Not many people or animals eat when they are stressed. Give her time, but try getting her to atleast drink. Good luck. I hope every thing works out OK

joeysmama
April 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
When we adopted our first dog he was very timid for the first 3 or 4 days. After that he was still insecure but he followed me around instead of curling up by himself.

I don't have any advice for you but wanted to wish you luck. Ihope your pup learns that she is loved and begins to feel more relaxed.

BusterBoo
April 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
If she is not drinking at all, try taking an icecube and let her lick that. We had to do that with our tzu when he was extremely sick. At least you know that she is getting some liquids into her.

Good luck!

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2006, 02:31 PM
This unsocialized frightened dog is going to take a LOT of patience and time. The good thing is that she is still young enough to overcome this life of depriviation she had.

It's normal that she is not eating now, since she is totally stressed out. Even good changes are very stressful.

Let her stay in her corner for now, or if you have a small area that can be gated off, like a laundry or bathroom, put her in there. She is completely overwhelmed at finding herself at your house and all that space is scaring her more.

Just spend time with her, talking to her and petting her to let her know she is in no danger and that she can trust you. Do not try and force her to do anything, as this breaks trust.

Try getting some really yummy canned dog food, like Merrick, and put a little into her dry food. This may tempt her to eat and the canned food has a lot of moisture. Or you can try cooking some chicken and offering pieces from your hand.

The way to tell if she is dehydrated is to pick up some skin on the back of her neck between your thumb and forefinger, twist it SLIGHTLY and let go. It should snap right back, but if it stays up for a second or two she's probably dehydrated.

OntarioGreys
April 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Because of her upbringing at the shelter being kenneled she is behaving in very much the same way a greyhound from a track enviroment will behave when it comes into a home. So what you are seeing is very typical behaviour and does not mean the dog is naturally shy, just that the dog is finding all the changes in it enviroment very overwhelming, and scary

These articles will explain some of which your dog will have to learn and experience http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/advice/firstday.html

http://www.gcnm.org/behav1.html

She will start drinking and eating on her own, often putting in a crate or an xpens helps to get them eating and drinking as the amount of free space is also overwhelming, but instead try confining to a smaller room with a babygate, so she is not having to adjust to a whole lot of space all at once.

Do you have a quiet backyard for her to use to potty in???? One of the problems is she will not have exposure to traffic (foot and vehicle) so walks are often very scary, so having a quiet place to potty will be important in encouraging her to relieve herself al small quiet park or some quiet spot away from roads will help. When you get to the potty area, just walk slowly in a circle the movement and security of a quiet spot will help encourage her to go, quietly praise when she does go. Make sure if you don't have a fenced in yard to hang on the leash firmly, as little things outdoors can spook her and send her bolting in terror as all the changes has destryed her confidence , and trying to catch her will prove next to impossible at this time

Understand she will not be used to a variety of floor surfaces and if she needs to pass over lineoleum floors or hardwood floors to get to a door to get outside to potty and she slips it could set up a fear of going outside, so rubber backed rugs can help avoid that problem, a couple months down the road as she is more comfortable in the house you can work on removing the rug.

You may want to add a bit of canned food or boiled beef of chicken to her food along as wet it done with water to help get her eating, the added water will help her from becoming dehydrated, because she has not eaten is the last 24 hours the chance of getting diareahha is not a problem by adding other , we often bring greyhound from florida to Ontario the last meal is skipped before the haul leaves so the dog do not vomit from motion sickness and they are not feed again till the arrive, the very first meal will be served in dog crates, they usually feel safe enough in the crate to start eating. because we get our dogs from several different tracks each will feed a different food, because the dog by the time they reach us will have at least 24 hours without food we can start them right away on the food we want to feed, without upsetting their tummies.

My fosters I normally for the first few days keep babygated in the same room with me this allows them explore a smaller area with getting too overwhelmed and also aids in housetraining

Just be patient in a month she will come around a lot

meb999
April 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
You've already gotten some fantastic advice here. I just wanted to add Good luck, and keep us posted on her improvements. She just needs some patience and love and she'll be fine.

rainbow
April 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
I agree....just give her lots of love and a little time. Good luck and keep us posted.:pawprint:

coppperbelle
April 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Poor little girl is very stressed. The advice you received above is excellent. If you have a crate, just put it out and leave the door open. You may find that she goes in their on her own. A blanket over the top of it may also help. You will have to gain her trust. A good way to do this is to get down at her level. Sit on the floor with some yummy food and offer it to her off your finger if she approaches you. Allow her to approach you and not the other way around.

Caite
April 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I have two Russels that I adopted about 3 months ago. One took to me right away and the other wouldn't do anything... eat or drink or approach me. I found that (as above) giving him a small space in the house (I picked the kitchen/family room as that is where we are most of the time) and gradually allowing the pups more and more space. My guy also has a spot that's all his own. It's a just corner in my room, but if he is feeling stressed, that's where he goes and we keep a water dish in the bathroom there for him.
I wish you luck, but give it some time. My guy started drinking water after a day or so and started eating more than dog treats after about 2 days.
I have heard that adopted dogs can take up to six months to really feel truly at home with you and we are still discovering new little fun things about our pups....

Good luck!

meb999
April 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I have heard that adopted dogs can take up to six months to really feel truly at home with you and we are still discovering new little fun things about our pups....

Good luck!

Yup! that's true. In the first 6 months we had Buster, we thought he just wasn't a very cuddly dog. We never forced the issue, but after like 6 months, he started REALLY warming up to us, and now he's our 60 pound lap-dog!!

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Oh, I agree.. Jemma took over a year to trust us completely. She was abandoned and then returned to the original owner, so we think she was sure we'd give her back too (so she didn't get attached). It's sad, but you'll get there eventually.:)

lm9012
April 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I agree you have received great advice!! Give her time, she's just feeling overwhelmed. Definetely try adding some wet food to her current food. We started Al with the same food he was getting at the shelter, and quite honestly he always HATED it!! I've had him since October and just last MONTH did i find a food he loves!!! It could be that your girl is quite picky! He is very specific about his treats. He only likes certain ones, and is probably the only dog in the world that isn't crazy about peanut butter! It will take time, but you will get a hang of her likes and dislikes! Just be patient and it will all pay off in the end!

H.P.
July 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Sadly, Allie never adjusted, however, the shelter was able to find a farm that wanted her and her brother, so they are happily together now. Thank you for all your advise, I will keep it in mind when I try again.

HP