Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new dog (Bichon) to home, spoiled, not eating well, vomiting

bskipper
April 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi!

We just added a 1 1/2 yr old Bichon to our home, she was an elderly ladies companion, but VERY fat and very spoiled. She is doing well, and very energetic, however, she was fed MOSTLY table foods all day long and even though we bought the "puppy chow" her owner says she is still on, she is not interested. She drinks water, then spits it up (bile) and she did pee but not poop yet (outside, thank goodness!) We tried wetting the food a bit, that didnt work, we tried breaking up some bread, and she did eat some of that, so we put it in her food and she did then eat a bit of of all of it....but spit most of it back up. Any suggestions? I have read in a thread here some rice and/or chicken, so may try that later on.

We have a golden retriever as well, and have given him rice when sick in the past. my only concern is that she is gonna HAVE to get off the "people food" habit...we rarely give Lucky (golden) people food....once in a while a crust of pizza or something...but he is very healthy and we have had him for 8 years.

The new Bichon (Shoni is her name) is fixed, female, and other wise doing well, very energetic and friendly...we have three children 5, 10, 12 and she is great with them.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciate, thanks!!

Bobbi

jesse's mommy
April 23rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the new addition to the family. We fully expect lots of pictures.

First, have you made a trip to the vet to get a quick checkup? As for the food, you might want to look to a holistic food instead of Puppy Chow. Puppy Chow is yucky food. A good holistic food is all natural. The dog will probably think it's eating people food. We just switched from a higher quality food here (Nutro -- she just lost her taste for it and wouldn't eat it without a handful of Cheerios in it) to Wellness. She absolutely loves it . It actually smells good enough for us to eat. I'm sure there will be others on here to give you some better advice.

AdoptionPalace
April 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'd lay off the rice right now if she's not having any bowel movements; though a turkey/rice meal is easier to digest, rice is a naturally constipating food and it'll make her lack of bowel movements worse. However, if she's not eating she's got nothing to "come out" so her not having a bm is probably related to that.

As far as the vomitting goes, that could be a number of things and you really need to take her to the vet and talk to him/her about it. There could be something medically wrong causing the vomitting or it could be that she isn't able to digest the food you're offering her. Stress from being in a new surrounding can also cause stomach discomfort-- she' lived her life with an elderly lady and is now in a home with other dogs and kids and noises and so on and so forth.

In the mean time, as far as feeding her goes, try a healthy human food. You can take 5 lbs of raw ground meat (turkey is best but you can use hamburger or chicken), add 1 1/2 lbs of fiber foods (including 2 cooked cups of BROWN rice)-the rest should be fresh veges (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc, etc, etc). Make sure the veges are chopped VERY SMALL or ground into a mash if possible (do you have a food processor?). Add a fresh clove of garlic and if you can find it, a couple squirts of Braggs Liquid Aminos (you can find this in almost all health food stores). Mix it all together and make meatballs out of it or softball size clumps and give it to her straight or mix it with kibble slowly until she's eating all or mostly kibble. The meat and veges will give her vitamins and nutrients (you can cook the mix if you'd prefer but I suggest room temperature raw). The brown rice will help level the stools making sure she doesn't get constipated or get diarhea. The garlic will help detoxify her system as well as help alleviate any pain associated with arthritis or the like (garlic is a natural pain reliever). And the liquid aminos will replace any electrolytes she's lost from vomitting.

I can email you a more detailed recipe if you're interested, otherwise, try this for now until you can get her into a vet.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

erykah1310
April 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Had a similar problem with Puppy, after his vet visit, we had to "wean" him off table foods, but that was after we had the OK from the vet and there was no underlying weight problems ( and I agree that the Puppy Chow isnt the best food for your new addition to be eating! )
Hopefully you get this all straighened out soon, and congrats on the new addition!!

bskipper
April 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice! Gonna give that recipe a shot...I hadnt tried the rice yet, so no biggie there...just remembered doing that for my other dog. As far as bm's, she has peed several times, but not pooping just yet. She seems to actually be doing better. She has drank lots of water, and stopped vomiting it up afterwords...but still hasnt eaten a lot, just nibbling. The puppy chow is not my choice of food either, but thought since she was still on it, I would wean her gradually off of it...this change is surely big enough for her...didnt want to throw too many things at her at once!

Only got her yesterday, so havent been able to contact vet, will call her tomorrow, the lady I got her from gave me all her info, I have all her records from every visit.....she was last seen on March 6th for checkup and shots. Going to give her vet a call initially, to let her know that we now have her, and talk to her, she's further away then our vet, but may keep taking her there, at least for a while, since that is what she is used to.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips!

rainbow
April 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Let us know how her vet checkup goes. You should put her on a premium quality dog food....visit the dog food thread in this forum for lots of ideas.:pawprint: