Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Urination Issue

oddduck
April 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
I have a 2.5 year old female spayed cat. She was an indoor/outdoor cat until Nov. when she was in accident involving a car and another animal. She has had her tail amputated and had fractured her pelvis in multiple locations (and now has a plate and 6 screws holding her together).

Up until the past few weeks we did not have any great difficulty keeping her inside, but spring fever has started and now she has started to urinate all over the house (mainly on my bed and only my side!). She goes through the motion like she is in the litter box no matter where she decides to go (be it the bed or hardwood floor). She has gotten very "demanding" and affectionate at the same time. She is always laying on me and pawing at me. But when she wants something she makes sure I know about it, and if she doesnt get it she gets upset. She is not content in the morning as she will go from end of the bed to window to end of the bed in under a minute over and over again. She is also quite vocal about wanting to go outside and will wake me up and not be quite until she has brought me down to the patio door. She seems quite attached to me and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

This is only the beginning of the story, this EXACT same thing happened when she was about 6 months old. At that point I felt my only option to having a urine-free house was letting her outside. This lead to numerous injuries (torn cornea, broken front paw, broken pelvis, tail infection (causing amputation), numerous bites of various severity). I know it all sounds bad, but I'm at least telling the truth.

Does she use her litter box at all? Yes

She seems to only pee when people are around her to watch. I know the cat will stop if I let her outside but I do not want another accident to happy (as I have not recovered financially from the previous one). I have considered electric fences (as she has managed to find ways out of my yard every time we try and cat proof it), does anyone have any experience with this? When I spoke with some one at pet smart they though I was crazy for considering a pet fence to contain her.

Currently we are tieing her up on a 20ft lead (and she still gets upset and pees if she doesnt get out as long as she wants or at the right time). She gets tangled very quickly and because of the babysitting the lead requires it is just not working out very well.

I also have a med sized dog crate that I kept her in while she was recovering from her operations that I have considered reviving and possibly using to aid in this situation.

I just dont know what to do anymore. Oh, and yes I have 2 cat boxes though they are in the same room they are a few feet apart.

Prin
April 23rd, 2006, 12:44 AM
You're so great for fixing this kitty up when she got hit. So many people would have put her down. She is a lucky kitty. :highfive:

I'm not a cat person and I'm sure the others will have better ideas, but what about putting a harness on her and letting her outside supervised on a leash?

chico2
April 23rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Prin,that's exactly what I was going to suggest..I would not leave a cat outside alone on a long lead,she would not be able to escape to safety,if something/someone attacked her.
Also,her amputation and fractured pelvic might have left her unable to control her urination:confused: but I suppose the vet would have told you, if that was the case.
I would start by taking her outside on a harness and long leash and then maybe,like with my cats,you can eventually take her off the leash and she will stay with you,not run off...but maybe with her it would be too risky:confused:
We trained our cats from kitten-hood to stay with us in the back-yard,they are never outside alone.
Hope she recovers from her ordeals and thank's for going all out for her:thumbs up

Stacer
April 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
She did say that she lets the cat out on a lead;)

Currently we are tieing her up on a 20ft lead (and she still gets upset and pees if she doesnt get out as long as she wants or at the right time). She gets tangled very quickly and because of the babysitting the lead requires it is just not working out very well.

What about building a fully enclosed cat run with chainlink fencing, making sure there's fencing across the top as well, she couldn't get out of that. If you made it big enough would she be satisfied? If you're handy it probably wouldn't cost that much.

AdoptionPalace
April 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
I agree with the outside enclosure, maybe it would help some.

What about adopting an older (male) cat from a local humane society or shelter??? I have a spayed female who did the same thing for a LONG time until we brought home a neutered male cat. Now they play together all day long and she's stopped being so loud and restless.

Good luck nonetheless!!!!

oddduck
April 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Well she has done it 2 more times since my post a week ago. One morning after I took a shower she came upstairs while I was getting changed, jumped right on the bed and peed on it. We changed the bed, sprayed with some of that natural solution stuff and as soon as we got downstairs were at the door dying to get out.

This morning at 5:30am while we were both sleeping she pushed opened the door, jumped on the bed and peed between us. I walked downstairs and the cats sitting at the door just waiting to be let out. She had been out on a lead for probably 6 hours yesterday just sunning herself. So I'm pretty much at a loss.

I am really getting frustrated at this point. When I spoke to my vet last about this situation he suggested moving litter boxes, but said I was trying the appropriate thing. When I had moved the litter boxes previously it really had not made a difference.

I'm wondering if he cat pee scent is still somehow imbedded in the bedding even though I've had 3 different duvets and comforters, replaced the foam topper a few times and a few sets of new sheets. I'm worried that it is somehow in the mattress, as I know she has gotten that deep before. I've soaked it with the natural solution stuff, but there are still stains in one area (the area she always uses). I mean do I need to replace my mattress to get my cat to stop peeing here?

To me it really seems like she is doing it for attention. It feels like she is trying g to manipulate me to allow her outside again. I mean I really don't think she could have such sinister plans - she’s just a cat.

Anyway, please excuse the ramblings of a person who has just been woken up after 4 hours of sleep to such a rude surprise.

chico2
April 30th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear that,I can understand your frustration:sad: especially since she pees in your bed.
I think cats are pretty smart,but if she was very smart,she would know peeing in your bed will get her in trouble.
As I've said,I have a neutered male who sprays on occasion.Almost every day,before we take our cats outside,he gets tired of waiting and will spray against my armoir,always the same spot,to make us hurry to get ready.
He's been doing that since he was 4 yrs old and he's now 10.
I've given up more or less,I clean the area with everything I can think of,but he still goes...luckily spraying is not the same as actually peeing,only a few drops,but bad enough..
The only solution I can think of for you,is to keep your bed-room door closed at all times,we keep our livingroomdoor closed(old house lots of doors:p )since it's the only room with carpeting.

oddduck
April 30th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Well,

I went out and bought some "cat attract" litter this afternoon, a new litter pan and a 4L jug of simple solution. I just filled the pan and within 30 seconds the cat came over and used it. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that this will fix the issue, but how many cats really need 3 litter pans? If I at least give her the option of using a pan within 10ft of the bed I'm hoping she pick it over my duvet. I am going to give it a week and see if it makes any difference.

starr
May 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine built a large enclosure for her cats. She put all kinds of stuff in it for them...it's like a "habitat". It even has it's own covered litterbox and "houses" for the cats to get into when it rains. She bought two very large chainlink dog kennels and put them together. Then her husband put chain link over the top in case the cats figured out how to climb the link.

They used to let the cats roam freely on their property until a new neighbor brought a dog with them that killed the other neighbor's cat. The neighbor with the dog claims that "he just gets out" and there's nothing they can do.

My friend plans to expand the "habitat" this summer.

Doing this may be a good long-term plan for you because you can use it with all subsequent cats. The key, my friend says, is to include lots of plants, etc. in the enclosure to make it as "outdoorsy" and "free-feeling" as possible. This summer she's even going to put a cheap little fountain/pond in it. Lucky cats!

Starr

oddduck
May 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
A little update on the situation...

The cat attract litter and additional box worked for about 5-6 days.... and then it got even worse. :eek:

At this time the cat is spending probably 5-6 hours a day outside on a long lead (I'd guess about 20ft). She has learnt how to scale the 6-7ft fence between my house and the neighbours so she has actually managed to escape the backyard (while still on a lead) - luckily my fiance was in the backyard the few times this has happened. Before this she had learnt how to remove the clip that attaches the lead to her harness, so we have also resorted to tying a knot in the harness as well as attaching it to the clip.

She has a grand total of 3 litter boxes (2 large and one medium one), these are scooped daily. She will use them throughout the day but as soon as evening hits she is urinating on my bed (and has for the past 4 nights). This is getting rediculous :sad:

I have spoken to my better half about possibly getting another cat but with my luck it will just make the situation worse. I mean there is quite a possibility that it would not resolve the initial situation and likely this cat may bring in some issues of its own. I did have a look over the weekend though and didnt not see anything suitable.

chico2
May 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM
oddduck,I am sorry to hear that....please be careful with her being alone outside on a lead,she could very easily hang herself or get tangled and choke,or better yet don't leave her alone outside at all.
I know you are trying everything you can think of,but why is it not possible for you to not allow her in your bed:confused: You don't have any door??