Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Belize pet owner - I have quetions

happyday
April 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Had my dog spayed and she came into heat 4 months later. Vet took out 3/4 of uterus and tied tubes; said he couldn't remove everything cuz ovary was swollen. (huh?) Now he wants more money for supplies to re-do it (HELLO???) Is this a quack or what?
Does this sound normal to anybody? Doesn't spay include removing ALL female organs? Now she can't get pregnant but comes into heat. won't that cause cancer - or something??

There's an interesting dog breed here - enormous Rotty. Probably crossed with Mastiff. $250. Might be worth a trip to Belize to get one :)

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Yes a spay is the complete removal of the uterus and ovaries - Ovariohysterectomy.

I have no idea what your vet is talking about, but a dog who retains ovaries will still experience estrus and be at risk for cancers of the reproductive organs and mammary glands.

There's an interesting dog breed here - enormous Rotty. Probably crossed with Mastiff. $250. Might be worth a trip to Belize to get one

Yeah, right. Like we don't have enough huge homeless mutts right here.:rolleyes:

Prin
April 23rd, 2006, 12:13 AM
You could always have the rest removed. Her chances of having ovarian cancer are still up there, and depending on how much he left in there, maybe other illnesses too.

I'm not sure, but is there a risk of ectopic pregnancy if all or most of the uterus is gone? There have been some instances in humans where the egg attached outside the uterus and still formed properly... If it's possible, you might have to be careful still when she is in heat.