Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Ottawa

j&msmom
April 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Hi
I am new to this forum and am looking forward to chatting with others about dogs. I am very interested in the Westie and was hoping someone would be able to contact me regarding the West Highland Terrier. We are looking to add one to our family and would love to get other's opinions and views.

TIA :)

Toonces
April 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the board, you will find some great advise here, there are alot of folks on this board that know quite abit.

I have a friend with 2 westies, one is 6 and the other is 18. We used to dog sit for them all the time untill we started fostering. They are great dogs, very smart and very busy.

j&msmom
April 22nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
hi Toonces

It looks like a great site. Did your friend get theirs from a local breeder or someone they might recommend? I am finding it hard to get any personal references as I do not know any westies owners. We have always had goldens. There are a couple of breeders in Quebec -Lemans and Terryhall but I do not know them personally. I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thank you for responding to my post. Have a great weekend.

phoenix
April 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hi and welcome to the board,

Out of curiosity, why have you chosen this breed?

Toonces
April 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
The 6yr old came from a shelter and the 18 yr old was givin up by his owner.

Be carefull and do some research on breeders there are alot of nasty ones out there.

j&msmom
April 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Thank you, Toonces. That is what I am worried about. I am hoping to find a good breeder and or discuss the breed with current owners.

Hi Phoenix
We are seriously considering the breed. We already have a golden and know they (goldens) are wonderful. And we have read a lot about the Westie. I have heard positives and negatives about the breed and have only met a couple for a very short period of time. That is why I have joined this forum, hoping to gain some insight..I have been around several different Terriers, just not the Westie.

thanks for your posts.