Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Auditory Triggered Spasms in 12 year old Husky

bookwrm276
April 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
I have a 12 year old Husky who is experiencing auditory triggered spasms. By that I mean that certain noises seem to cause her brief spasms. Crumpling paper, clapping, even the sound of putting her dry dog food into her metal dish are some of the noises that cause the spasms. She has been affected by this for about 4 months.

Our veterinarian has tested her for Diabetes, Addisons Disease, Cushings Disease and Thyroid Disease and all have been negative. He did a complete blood panel on her and found high triglycerides. With a high fiber diet, the triglycerides have come down to a normal level. However, she is still experiencing the auditory triggered spasms.

Has anyone encountered this in their dog? I thought about supplementing her diet with a B-complex vitamin to see if that would help her but am not sure how to proceed with this. Any suggestions? :love:

AdoptionPalace
April 23rd, 2006, 12:13 AM
If the blood work and testing all came back negative, I wouldn't be too concerned. It's possible the noises have a similiar "disgust" to her as nails on a chalk board do for you or me. I have a Malamute hybrid and certain noises make her pee on herself. Vet has said for 3 years there's nothing medically wrong with her, just certain particular noises have on her what he calls a "piddle effect".

What is your concern with supplementing vitamins in her diet?? You can purchase vitamins at just about any pet store, in town or online. Most don't need a prescription though, depending on your location, B-12 might. I highly suggest the B-12, either in part with other vitamins or alone. You can find something called Rooser Booster a B-12 Supplement at most pet stores, your vet might carry it as well. Talk to your vet about which ones would be beneficial to her and which ones will have no or a harmful effect (which is rare any will). It's also best to discuss how much of which vitamins to supplement as too much of some can counter-act the vitamin, leaving none in her system.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you decide to supplement!!

bookwrm276
April 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I will talk to the vet about supplementing with B-12 and post the results.