Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Door Dasher

LibbyP
April 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have a crazy 7mos Siamese kitten(first kitten in 12+ yrs) he has never gone outside except in a carrier. Now when ever the door is opened out he goes like a shot, I have spent 3+hours in the past couple of days chasing him around the neighborhood :mad: and I'm not happy about it at all. We have tried shaker can, water bottle, someone outside the door scarring him and nothing is working I have never had this trouble before. We are not wanting him to go outside and I don't want to have him in a harness on the deck but I'm at my wits end, I'm afraid something awful will happen to him pls help.:fingerscr

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
I've had door dashers too and there's not much you can do about it, except be very watchful until he settles down, which he will.

Is he neutered? If not, you need to get that done right away.

LibbyP
April 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yes he is neutered,Jan 06', but he's acting like he's not, thanks for telling me in time this will pass:thumbs up , our other cat f/s 7yrs has no wanting to go outside and we've only had her a yr, she was an inside/outside cat before, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just myself and husband but with two little ones coming and going outside it makes it alittle :crazy:

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Yes, very dangerous for him to go out, especially since he's a purebred and someone might steal him.

If you have a window perch, or a cat tree near a window so he look out, watch the birds and smell the outdoors, it may help.

LibbyP
April 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Yes he has five windows that he can sit at and other outside animals cannot get at him, now with the nice weather the windows are open, I must admit today has been a good day, he 'really' hasn't tried to get out or I've just gotten quicker at catching him:D ,My husband said the same thing about someone stealing him, the complex behind our house isn't that great, and even though he came from the H.S. I'm not sure people would know what he is (snowshoe) but he is very handsome, thank you for all your helpful hints keep them coming

Ed U KayShawn
April 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Libby I was wondering if maybe making the whole door non -attractive in the beginning would work. I mean like maybe try spraying eucalyptus (sp) oil, or a deterring spray around the door frame so the kitty has no interest of even going near the door to begin with. Just a thought. I don;t know about those scat mats either ( i have never tried one) and I dont know much about them but if you can find out about them maybe and they are safe maybe placing one before the entrance of the door way would keep the kity away from the door?