Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Depression in my Cats

chi023
December 21st, 2003, 08:26 PM
I had a cat die 3 weeks ago and now my two other cats don't seem to want to eat. They want to play and be loved but not eat much at all or drink much water it seems to me. What should we do?

Carina
December 21st, 2003, 08:47 PM
What did your other cat die from...I am sorry for your loss.
Could it be that your other two are also sick? For two cats not to be eating or drinking sounds like a medical problem rather than a behavioural one.

chi023
December 21st, 2003, 09:46 PM
My cat died from kidney failure. The other two were eating fine while the other cat was at the vet, and before the other cat went to the vet. One of my other cats went to the vet just the other day and all the tests came back normal, and they are acting just as they always do. That's what is leaving us at a lose and makes it a little bothersome.

Lucky Rescue
December 21st, 2003, 10:20 PM
How old are your cats? Did all 3 spend their lives together?

I'm very sorry you lost your cat.:(

chi023
December 21st, 2003, 10:48 PM
Yes, They did. One of the two is one of the babies we kept from the cat that I lost. The other is acat that was given to us, but they have all spent the last 8 years together and the baby we kept the whole 11 years. The two cats we have left are 11 and 12 years of age. We are all really lost on what the problem is and we are taking them to the vet again tomorrow. Any help from anyone would be great.

Luba
December 21st, 2003, 11:23 PM
So sorry for your loss. It may take them time to adjust. Perhaps give them something different to occupy their time.

May I suggest one of those videos of birds that you can play on your TV or some honeysuckle for them to play with.

Tempt their taste buds a little with some fish oil perhaps and just give them love, I am sure they'll come around!

chi023
December 21st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Thats what we are all hoping. They do show tons of interest in the food and even the tuna but they don't eat it or much of it. We are thinking that it could also be roundworms. We brought a stary that has stayed in the basement until we found him a home and we think that we may have brought it up. Eventhough our two upstairs cats don't go downstairs. The two upstairs cats play like normal and act like normal even in their interest in food, but like I said with the real lack of eating it. Thanks for the help so far, and keep any helpful thoughts coming. I may lose my mind if I lose these two cats.

Lucky Rescue
December 22nd, 2003, 12:09 AM
They may have caught something from the stray, or they may just be disturbed at the illness and death of their companion. Cats do feel loss!

I think you're right to start with a vet visit. If everything is o.k., try getting them some new toys, catnip, treats - anything to pique their interest.

A cat tree, a window perch, etc, could pick up their spirits. Let us know how they do!

chi023
December 22nd, 2003, 10:02 AM
Well, the vet is going to give them a couple of shots today and yeah we probably will buy them a new toy. However, we will have to try and keep the puppies we have from eating it. The vet this morning when my dad went to pick up some puppy food, and was telling them about the cats didn't think it was anything major so that's good news.

mona_b
December 22nd, 2003, 10:30 AM
Well if evetything at the vets checks out ok and they are healthy,then yes they are grieving.It is very common in animals.Especially those who grow up together.It will take time.It happened to me years ago.When my one cat passed away.They other was just not the same.And to get him to eat I tried baby food.That was my vets suggestion.And it worked.I used the chicken one.Then once he was eating more I mixed in some of his food bit by bit.Untill he was eating his own food.Give it a try.And I'm so sorry for your loss.

chi023
December 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
The vet thinks that they may just have a virus and thinks the shot today should help them start eating by tomorrow. They are to go in for a second shot on wednesday to just bolster the one from today. One of the cats did run a degree over the normal temp for cats so that's why it may be both depression and illness. Whatever, it is I just hope that if hurries up so I know my cats will live out the rest of their days 'til old age.

chi023
December 22nd, 2003, 06:59 PM
One of the has had enough in their system to produce feces but it's the only one in the box. I also think they have urinated a few times but its not soaked like most of the time when the cats drink water. That's why I hope this shot gets them feeling better or we may have to get some fluids in them to keep them healthy.

chi023
December 23rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Well, Still not much gone from the food bowls. I do think one of them ate some of the food, but not very much. One of them did vomit up some mustard colored stuff but no food came with it.

chi023
December 23rd, 2003, 05:27 PM
One of them is showing signs of more interest in food and I think even ate some, but still nothing real impressive. Also they aren't going to the bathroom much I don't think either.

chi023
December 27th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Well, doesn't seem like much change really. They are drinking a little more but all we can really get them to eat is stuff like turkey and some ham. I know those aren't great for cats, but the vet said give them very small amounts to try and get them to eat something. They have had their second round of shots and may get a third on tuesday. The vets office did give us some nutrical to give them through a serenge(spelling?) so they are getting that.

Lucky Rescue
December 27th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Cats can get anorexic, so give them whatever they will eat. Boiled hamburger or chicken would be a better choice than ham.

An easier way to give Nutrical is squeeze out an inch on your finger, then smear on the top the cat's front paws. They will lick it off, and it's not as upsetting as being force-fed with the syringe.

I hope they're better soon!

Luba
December 27th, 2003, 11:32 PM
It's good that you are diligent but I suggest u call the vet back and advise of the updated information.

chi023
December 28th, 2003, 01:24 AM
We have talked to the vet and they know of the changes and they are still wanting to see them on tuesday. They do appear to be better today and getting better everyday at least it seems. I will inform my famliy about putting the nutrical on their paws.

wAggie
December 28th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry to read about the loss of your cat. :(

chi023
December 29th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks. I'm hoping I don't lose these two as well.

chi023
January 3rd, 2004, 03:30 AM
The vet seems to think there is improvement in the cats and the blood tests today came out normal. He says they will eat again on their own that the virus and the death of the other cat have affected their eating habits. So I guess we still have to take it one day at a time, and do whatever we have to. As of now that consists of giving them nutrical here at home and having the vet force feed them some stuff to help rebuild their body mass. I really love these two cats as much as I love the rest of my animals (2 dogs, and 1 other cat), it's just very mentally draining seeing them go through this. However, it's gotta be worse on them than it is me.

Luba
January 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Hugs

It is draining but you are doing what you can, which is more then a lot of people do.

Keep it up and hang on, it sounds like the vet is optimistic and things are improving :)

Thanks for the update

chi023
January 4th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the support Luba and to everyone else that has said kind words. That's all we are doing here is trying to keep up are hopes and taking day by day.

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
You are most welcome :D

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I know how you feel, Chi. I had an ex-feral cat who developed allergies that ended up being fatal. It was depressing and frustrating and I spent a fortune trying to find an answer, but there was none.:(

Hope your cats will feel better soon. Keep them eating and drinking!

chi023
January 5th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Well, another day at the vet and things do seem to be getting better it seems. The vet gave them a breathing treatment and he said the stuff in their lungs does seem to be breaking up. Thanks again for all your support everyone.

wAggie
January 5th, 2004, 10:08 PM
that's wonderful news!

thank God for science!!

:)