Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog vomiting

Nashville B
April 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM
I recently purchased a one year old , male beagle from a humane shelter. They gave me a bag of his old food and said to mix it in with his new food in order to keep him from getting sick. Problem is, the bag was small and so I've been having to feed him Science Diet. Sometimes the food settles well and sometimes it doesn't. There is no pattern to his vomiting either. Yesterday he ate all his food, breakfast and dinner, and then proceeded to vomit just a small amount around 3am. His demeanor has not changed one bit, he's as lively and energetinc as they day I got him, but this vomiting needs to stop obviously. Should I go back to his old Purina permanently, mix the two together, or hope he will eventually overcome this?

jawert1
April 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the boards :) Anytime you adopt a shelter dog, a trip to the vet is in order for many reasons, the least of which is that a pet can pick up any number of nasty things at the shelter which get missed in the chaos. I would take him in for a checkup and then go from there. Also, check out the pet foods forum for different brands of MUCH better dog food. Purina and Hill's are absolutely gross and have really vile ingredients that can be making your pup sicker than need be. Good luck and keep us posted on his condition, and thanks for rescuing the lil guy :)

Beaglemom
April 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
I would stongly suggest that you first take him to your veterinarian for a complete check up in order to rule out something serious or to catch something before it is too late. There could be many reasons for his upset tummy.

His food may not be sitting well with him. Science Diet and Purina are not considered very good foods. There are much better ones available. I feed my beagle Performatrin Ultra Lamb & Brown Rice but have also fed her Solid Gold. Other good quality foods are Wellness and Merrick. If you check out the Food Forum, there are some really good suggestions there.

Please do keep us updated.

OntarioGreys
April 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Usually a sudden food change results in diareahha(sp?) that is the reason for mixing the old with the new gradually until you are feeding all new, so a whole lot of old is not needed. It is possible that the Science Diet is not agreeing with you dog, or at least an ingredient in it. I have one dog that will vomit if he has any food with corn in it. Science Diet is called a premium food but the ingredients used are far from good really not much better than feeding Ol'Roy but comes with a much higher price tag.

If you look at this article, the ingredient items marked with stars indicate poor quality ingredients like fragments grains which are leftover from human food processing or ingredients that many dogs tend to be allergic or have intolerances to, and you will notice Science Diet has a lot of stars. Toward the bottom of the page it explains why these ingredients are marked with stars.

Terms like Animal fat(just to go into a deeper explanations as to what is meant)- that does not specify what animal source it is from, means it came rendering plant, this is where dead often rotting road, kill goes, diseased and dead livestock and fats from fryers in restaraunts, and in some cases euthansized pets, the are put in large vats and boiled and the fat is skimmed off to be used in cheap dog foods. A better quality dog food will alway specify the fat source example chicken fat.

http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

Nashville B
April 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
My dog was given and exam by a vet immediately after I purchased him and other than a little tartar on his teeth, was given a clean bill of health and pronounced to be in excellent condition. She was was the one who told me to mix the foods. That's why I was thinking I need to swtich back to the Purina. My old dog loved Science Diet and he was a beagle as well so i guess I just assumed my new one would take to it. I'll take a look at that food page for some good suggestions. Thanks.

P.S. my fiance said he ate his breakfast this morning and held it all down---that's always a good sign.

AdoptionPalace
April 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Just because he was given a clean bill of health a few weeks ago, doesn't mean it would be the same today. So you might want to look into taking him back in again.

I agree that the food could be a big issue. Science Diet really isn't a good quality kibble, look into something else or switch him back to his old food. You could also try feeding 6 small meals instead of 3; or skip the night time meal all together if he seems to be vomitting most at night. Wetting the food with warm water will make it easier for him to digest too. You could also look into some vitamins; you probably have to ask your vet about them. Pet Tabs are good and they're inexpensive. Most places you can buy them over the counter but sometimes, especially in small towns, you have to get them from your vet.

White Wolf
April 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
As the title of this forum states: * If your pet is vomiting, bleeding, has diarrhea etc. seek vet care.
Please do and come back with an update.