Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feline Tumor

Ashlie
April 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM
:sad: I've had my cat Sassie for almost 14 years now. About 2 months ago she started sneezing and drooling so I took her to the Vet, he said it was 'just an infection' and gave me some pain medication(Torbutrol) and an antibiotic(Amoxi drops) for her. That seemed to help for a little bit until about 2 weeks later... her face started swelling on the right side, her eye was watering on her right side, and her nose was all runny and mucousy as well. I then took her to a different Vet because I had now lost trust in the Vet I had taken her to before(he could have looked into this a little more instead of rushing through me to get to the next patient). So the second Vet told me she had a tumor(without doing a biopsy) and I asked if it could possibly be an abscess or cyst? He said 'no, that is a tumor, you should put her down, she's in pain'. I couldn't possibly part ways with my little pride & joy especially since I felt that I hadn't done everything in my power to help her, so I told him that I wanted to take her home and see how she did over the next few days. It's been 2 weeks since then and she seemed to be doing really well. She eats well, she still seems to be in good spirits, she still goes outside and even eats grass still. Over the past 2 days though the growth seems to have gotten alot bigger and when I was cleaning her face it looked as though the 'tumor' was going into her eye because her eye was almost all the way shut. I guess my question is, does anyone here know about tumors? Do you think this could be something else? The Vets I have taken her too have really dampened my spirits and tell me that nothing besides euthanasia is necessary. If someone can help me out at all please e-mail me... *************

Thank you

chico2
April 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM
Ashlie,I am sorry to have to say this,but I believe the vet is probably right:sad:
Animals have a way to cope with pain,like no human can comprehend,until one day it gets to be too much and they collapse.
I can of course not diagnose your cat,or tell how she might be feeling,what degree of pain she is in,but it reads to me like she's ready for a peaceful passing.
You are the only one who can make the desicion for her,unfortunately our loved animals cannot speak for themselves and although we want to keep them forever,a life in pain is not what we want for our furry friends:sorry:

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2006, 08:55 AM
I"m very sorry to hear this, but please do as your vet says, and have your little kitty peacefully euthanized.

This is a very ugly and painful cancer and nothing more can be done. Cats are very good at hiding pain, but I'm sure she's suffering and I know you don't want her last days to be filled with misery.

Your cat is very lucky to have such a long life with someone who loves her so much.

This is the final way to show her how much you do love her - by putting aside your own feelings and doing the kindest thing.