Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The size of my dog??

Maxine
April 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hello everybody, I was wanted how heavy should a pitbull puppy be at 5 months? I wonder because my puppy Lex is already 44 pounds... Will he be too big for a pure bred? Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
44 lbs is a good weight for an adult pit bull, since they are not a large breed, but not a 5 month old puppy.

She is most probably mixed with a much larger breed. Do you have a picture?

phoenix
April 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM
I don't know anything about pitbulls, except that to see them they do look fairly short/small...
But, I do know boxers. And they are a very muscle-y breed. My 6 month old is at 37 lbs right now, and looks skinny. My 16 month mix (lab/boxer) is 85 lbs and does not look that heavy at all. So, what I'm trying to say is that muscle is a lot more dense (read, heavier) than fat, so really strong breeds will be heavier although they may not look it.
It would be interesting to see a pic!

Maxine
April 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM
ok first of all i don't know if it works to put a picture and he is only 10 weeks on that pic... i don't have any other pictures but i'll try to get a friend over and take a new picture of him....

The thing is we saw the parents and they look pure bred Pitbull... They were just very big! They didn't have the short snout of Boxer or anything... I'm kind of lost! But whatever he is or not, he is soooo pretty and loveable! That is a mommy's boy.. :D I don't think my boyfriend agree though, it is HIS dog ;)

Maxine
April 21st, 2006, 12:11 PM
here he is again, same day same age of the other picture, but as i said i'll get my friend to take a new one :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
The thing is we saw the parents and they look pure bred Pitbull

Irresponsible breeders like these are often using dogs mixed with Mastiffs to make them huge - something pit bulls should never be. Pit bulls should be between 35 - 60 lbs as adults. A dog who is near 100lbs is NOT a pit bull and shouldnt' be called one.

Maxine
April 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Can he be an Am'staff or something??? :confused:

Rottielover
April 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM
does it really matter, he is gorgeous, and yours.. Enjoy him

Luvmypit
April 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Am Staffs are small also.

I would assume he is mixed with as Lucky I think said Mastiff. That seems to be the trend of BYB breeders who breed "pit bulls".

I have a pit bull who looks quite small, people still ask how old my puppy is :confused: yet hes 3 and he is 58 lbs. but doesnt look it mind you.

I would have to guess that you have a part cute and part cuddly dog. Basically a mix. :o

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Can he be an Am'staff or something???

American Staffordshire Terriers are basically the CKC version of pit bulls.

does it really matter, he is gorgeous, and yours.. Enjoy him

I agree he is gorgeous and I"m sure will be much loved, but it really does matter. People keep giving money to irresponsible backyard breeders and encouraging and condoning them pumping out puppies for $$$

There are many homeless puppies - including lovely purebred pit bulls - and they should be adopted before anyone supports this kind of breeding.

Rottielover
April 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
What I meant was it was already done BYB or what not, he is home. Enjoy him
Can not change what was done, only learn from the mistake

Maxine
April 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM
I agree with you, we shoudn't buy him from this kind of breeder, but at that time I wasn't aware of everything I read on this website.... But what is done is done and whatsoever I'm happy because my dog is the most loveable and sweet dog in the whole world :p

Poor boy though, he is going to need a surgery on May 1st because he has an ingrowing hair in his eye... Good Luck my boy! :fingerscr

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM
I don`t know anything about pit bulls. I just wanted to say he sure is CUTE !!! And yes, learn from your mistake about BYB...I`ve been there and done that too.:D