Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the night! Do you only support companies that are against animal testing?

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm guilty of buying a few things that either are not from ethical companies or are from companies that I don't know too much about. If I have a choice, I'll certainly choose the animal friendly version of a product, but some alternatives are hard to find...

I'm wondering where you all stand on this.. Is it something that is super important to you and you go out of your way to make sure you don't get stuff from unethical companies? Or do you try your best, but some stuff ends up slipping through anyway? Or do you not care at all (maybe you're on a strict budget or something or you're just unaware)?

Melei'sMom
April 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I defiantely support animal freindly companies, but some others...I don't honestly know if they test on animals or not and I don't do the reasearch that I probably should.:eek:

Hey! If you see a great animal friendly product...it should be posted so we can all use it, that way we can be good consumers and if we all pitch in with the 'leg work' we can have a huge list! :)

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
oh, BoxerRescueMTL posted a site with a list of animal friendlier companies. I'll go find it.

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Here!! http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23580&highlight=test Post #4 says this:
Companies that DO NOT test on animals:
http://www.astrostar.com/DO-NOT-Test.htm
Companies that DO TEST on animals:
http://www.astrostar.com/DO-Test.htm

Melei'sMom
April 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM
my makeup provider is listed as animal freindly :cool:

mummummum
April 20th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I tend to be fairly rabid about this (was a vegan for a looonnnggg time). It's REALLY REALLY tough though - you truly have to do a great deal of research and you generally spend more for goods and services which are animal free and/or not tested on animals. What makes it even tougher are all the labrynthine rules about the definitions (and what companies can claim about themselves, their conduct and the degree of responsibility they have to assume) of "made in", "manufactured by", "produced in/by", "materials sourced in/by", "assembled in/by".

I also prefer to buy Canadian products and make every effort to buy only from unionized companies/ sub-contractors. And then there's the ethical investments issue...

Sometimes I marvel that I own anything at all...

Skryker
April 21st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, combine all the ethical/philosophical choices with the dizzing array of available choices and I'm lucky if I can get out of a store at all.

"Hmm, this one is passes the animal testing criteria, is made in Canada, I've never heard anything negative about the company, is environmentally friendly, comes in recyclable packages...now, do I want the regular size, or the club pack...which works out cheaper...do I have space for the club pack...normal or ultra variety...scented or non...oooh, vanilla or citrus...wait, hang on, dear, I'm still deciding...no, not that one! Dear? Dear? Where did you go with the cart?"

Prin
April 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Exactly, Skryker. And then by the time you find him, he's got his arms full of candy.:rolleyes: