Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PLANTS!!! Argh

Slams_58
April 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question...but is there anything I can put in or on my plants to keep my pup from eating the dirt or plucking off the leaves?! They're not poisonous plants, but there is some fertilizer built into the dirt. I've tried lifting them off the ground to keep them away from her and she ended up on my dining room table getting into them.

jessi76
April 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
You can try Bitter Apple, but it doesn't work for every dog (my dog didn't care, I think he actually liked the taste). You'd be better off training a good LEAVE IT for the plants, and OFF for the dining room table.

how old is this pup? type of pup?

Slams_58
April 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM
She is a feisty 6 month old Shiba. She's got her own way of thinking.... it's her way or the highway. We're working on it tho. she's very very smart when she wants to be!

sprayeddog
April 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
I just want to add a point, that may be a tad off-topic.

Matty used to bite the indoor plant, and we taught him "LEAVE IT" and he stopped biting it after a while.

But a few weeks ago we found him biting and eating the plant again. We thought he's at it again ... only to find out he's also chewing and eating grass as he goes outdoor. Turned out he has an upset stomach and when dogs don't feel well they like to eat grass / plants, so as to make them throw up and clean up their digestive system.

That might not be the reason, but just something to keep in mind.

jessi76
April 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM
She is a feisty 6 month old Shiba.

oh we DEFINATLY need pics!

mummummum
April 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM
If you do a thread search we talked about this with another gal and her rambunctious pupster...But here are a few thoughts anywho:
*cover the base of the plant with a tin foil cut-to-fit pie plate or roasting pan
*use decorative rocks to cover up the dirt
*until she learns "LEAVE IT" (which is one of the best skills in the world imho)
wrap the plant in cellophane or saran wrap and cover up the dirt

And I second the pix request!

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Definitely teach the "Leave it" and "Off" commands and definitely post some pics.:D

Slams_58
April 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Here's a pic of the culprit!

mummummum
April 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Uh-oh....she definitely has that "Yup, I did it. Wanna make somethin' of it bud? Come on - you try it - it's fun !" look.

sprayeddog
April 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM
She's VERY CUTE.

But how come she has the same "I'm a naughty doggie now!" look on her face, which I see on Matty's face all the times?! ;)