Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice for puppy eating problems

Rufus
April 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
--any ideas on why my puppy won't eat his food but the minute he's over at a friends house he has a ferocious appetite?

jessi76
April 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
my first guess would be he doesn't like the food you put out for him. What are you feeding him?

coppperbelle
April 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I would agree that he probably doesn't like his food. What are you feeding him?

technodoll
April 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
both my dogs have always done the same thing... it's very common! they won't eat a steak at home but will suck up dry cat food and rotten eggs at the petsitters, LOL!
:eek:

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Is he eating anything at all? Is the food at home left out all day or do you give it for 15-20 minutes and then take it away? Is the not eating at home a concern? (I mean, is he losing weight, really skinny, etc?)

tenderfoot
April 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
He might be bored with his food or you are over feeding. The friend's food is new and interesting.
As Prin said, the food should only be down for 10 minutes. Otherwise he is claiming ownership on it and doesn't feel pressed to eat it - its always there for him. At the friends house the other dog might eat it so he races over to get it all first. A natural response.
Try making his food more interesting by adding yogurt and it is only down for 10 minutes.

Rufus
April 20th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks so much for all your feed back! I think the little guy doesn't have any urgency to eat - so we'll try putting it down for 20 min at a time... When he was sick recently i bent over backwards trying to make food he would eat...I hope i haven't created a fussy puppy!

Rufus
April 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
both my dogs have always done the same thing... it's very common! they won't eat a steak at home but will suck up dry cat food and rotten eggs at the petsitters, LOL!
:eek:

--so what did YOU do?? -- maybe he's having an identity crisis and thinks he's a cat?

technodoll
April 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM
LOL! akitas ARE huge cats that can bark! :D

everytime we go there i always ask first "is all the food put out of mouth's reach"! that way they don't get into the habit of starving themselves in anticipation of a visit to "dog haven"!! my dogs are soooo fussy, to the point of ludicrous. but ONLY at home. grrr. it's an attitude problem, for sure!!

Nashville B
April 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
I recently adopted a beagle who has a weak stomach. I feed him Science diet and sometimes he takes to it and sometimes it comes right back up. The vet said he was in excellent health when I adopted him a litle over a weak ago and that a sudden change in his diet would make him sick. I have no idea what they were feeding him at the humane shelter nor with his previous owners. I know from my experiences with beagles that they will eat anything, but that they also have weak stomachs. Any suggestions as to what to feed him? Thanks.

Nashville B
April 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
If you're dog is a picky eater, I have two suggestions... either stop feeding them people food (which can be tough) or put a small amount of cottage cheese on top of their dish. Cottage cheese is pure protein and good for the dogs coat. They also go nuts for the stuff. It has always worked for me and my finicky dogs.

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
When he was sick recently i bent over backwards trying to make food he would eat...I hope i haven't created a fussy puppy!

That was your big mistake.:D

So now you have to feed a good quality food and just leave it down for 15 minutes. If he doesn`t eat it, take his dish away until his next meal. Keep doing it (it will be hard) until he learns. And when you go to your friends, make sure there isn`t any food accessible to him before you go in.:pawprint:

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
I feed him Science diet and sometimes he takes to it and sometimes it comes right back up.

Science Diet isn`t very good food....no wonder it sometimes comes right back up.:yuck: