Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should we get an "outside" dog?

bowva
April 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hello! We have a 13 year old with pretty bad allergies, dogs being among them. She's even reacted to the so called shedless breeds of bishon/shizu (pardon my spelling?). We've been thinking about getting an outside dog on our 2 acres. There is a huge area that is wire fenced and also has invisible fencing. I'm not sure I'm for this. We have pretty cold winters here in Calgary, although we could put a dog door on a shed and make a nice bed inside. I would love an indoor dog, but this isn't an option. I think it might be cruel to keep a dog outside. Also, it seems if we were to go ahead, we'd have to get a double-coated dog which would mean we might carry in lots of hair into the house. Any thoughts?

isabelleo
April 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Most people don't suggest to keep a dog outside. They have a need to be a part of the pack (your family), and they get awfully lonely outside in the cold. I think it's a little cruel to condemn a dog to the outside of your house.

If you can't have a dog indoors, don't get one.

jessi76
April 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I think it might be cruel to keep a dog outside.

you're thinking is correct, it IS cruel. Dogs are social animals. They NEED and WANT to be with you & the family. If you have a 13 yr old with bad allergies, and having a dog in the house is NOT an option, then I'm sorry but I don't think you should get a dog at all.

meb999
April 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I gotta agree....sorry, maybe you could get another kind of pet?

jawert1
April 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hey there and welcome! I'm in agreement with everyone else, dogs are pack animals and will want to be with you. Outside dogs have higher mortality rates for various reasons, not to mention the potential for an insane amount of barking (again, the need to be part of the pack drives this). If your child is allergic, perhaps you could engage her in the project of setting up a really large fish tank? It's a great way to enjoy a pet but also to teach responsibility and research (I had a 150 gal tank in highschool - good experience).

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Me too. Out of all the outside dogs I've met, I've only met one who was happy. The rest were sad, emotionally starved doggies. They are definitely pack animals and need interaction. To get a dog so it can live only outside is... well... basically, it'll just suck for the dog, who ever it might be.

I've heard goldfish tend to have less allergens...:o

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
If you want a dog who will live outside, never come in and have a shed for a bed, can anyone tell me what is the reason for having a dog? How much time are you going to spend with this dog, particularly during the winter.

Dogs who kept in isolation like this could have aggression/fear issues and behavioral problems stemming from extreme boredom and lonliness just as we would have.

erykah1310
April 20th, 2006, 11:50 PM
As far as having a dog that is "STRICTLY" outdoors, I have to agree with all previous posts. If the allergies are that severe then your daughter prolly wont even be able to play with the dog and you may be carrying the allergens into the house and then sadly the dog would most likely end up being rehomed!

One of my dogs stays predominatly outside, and we have had no problems with him as far as aggression or barking, however in the winter when the temperature drops he does come in, same as bad weather in the summer and so on. He isnt strictly outdoors but he has a job out there (which keeps him busy) and not to mention he is ALWAYS included in all "Pack" activities.

I know alot of outdoor dogs who are happy and well ajusted pets, but bottom line is that their "parents" can play with them and not worry about allergens.

Once again I would recommend looking into other pets. Sorry!

chico2
April 21st, 2006, 08:08 AM
We keep a dog/cat for the hours of fun,the comfort their furry little lives gives us and the undying devotion to us....something you or the dog would never experience if he/she is an "out-door dog".
I would agree with all the others,please do not get a dog!

LM1313
April 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Why don't you get another kind of pet instead, then? :confused:

bowva
April 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Thank you for all the replies. It just confirmed for me that this was wrong. I've never had a dog before, but when I get one, he/she will be inside and a part of the family. I showed the replies to my husband (who has had dogs before), and I think he's realized that he's not going to win this one. I've waiting 44 years.............I can wait another 5 or so until my daughter leaves the house!

spanielmom
April 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
I am not sure if your daughter would at all be interested or mature enough but my 13 year old son had begged me for three years to get him a bearded dragon. He had to get a job (paper route) and have money saved up in his bank account to feed and shelter his pet. He worked very very hard and continues to do so and about two months ago he managed to finally get one. They are VERY loyal pets!! They love to be held and will recoginze you. They of course can bite as any animal can but are very docile if raised from a baby and treated properly. The draw backs if you consider them drawbacks are...they need fresh vegtables and fruit daily...they need a 55 gallon aquarium when full grown (2 feet full grown)...a big supply of crickets (their main staple)....after the initial aquarium is set up there isnt much more you need than food, attention and someone to keep their environment clean. The sand can be scooped like a kitty litter box and changed totally monthly. I NEVER thought I would enjoy a lizard but let me tell ya this little guy who is about 6 inches at the moment is CUTE!! He will sit on my sons shoulder when playing video games and doesnt try to run off. It just a thought, if you want a pet you can interact with and who will interact back with you a bearded dragon is awesome. There are also TONS of beardy sites available for more info...and chat forums!!

Dawn

rainbow
April 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for not getting a dog under your living circumstances. But, just think, you`ll have five years to research on what you want to get.:D

Is your daughter also allergic to cats? Some people are allergic to one but not the other. Or a ferret? Or, how about a bird? I just believe that a house is not a home without pets to love.:angel:

heidiho
April 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have to say i am Totally against dogs being kept outside,i beleive they shoudl be indoors,,,,,,,,,