Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

TITUS the "pit bull" is FREE!!!!! ONTARIO precedent!!

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM
OH HAPPY DAY!! Just heard on CBC news radio at 6:30 a.m., the results of the court case in which Titus the dog, assumed by his incarcerators to be a pit bull, was returned to his owner after her lawyer won the case saying that the Ontario PB Banning law is "flawed"!! Sorry, can't remember what city but it was southwestern Ontario.

The lawyer said that there is no such breed in Canada as a "pit bull" and that it was wrong to have taken this dog to be put to death because the owner did not comply with the neuter/muzzle laws. The owner always claimed that her dog was NOT a pit bull, as that breed does not exist. There was no way that the lineage of the dog could be proven, so the dog was set free!!!

A great day for all Ontarions and all "BULLIES" that live here!! Pandora's box is now WIDE open! I'm now certain that this bullcrap law will be overturned in May!!! I have goosebumps typing this!!!!:crazy:

Chalk up one for the good guys!

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
That is freakin' awesome!!:thumbs up That must have been one smart judge and a good lawyer!

Do you know if these people were ever in touch with Jen Steele (Saving Lily)?? I just wonder if this woman had as much crap to go through as Jen did for Lily.

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I surfed the CBC website and can't find anything about it....I was all cobwebby and pre-caffeinated when I heard this, but I DID hear it and managed to remember the name. Seems to me that this story is familiar to me...must have heard it over the course of time.

Will post more as I learn more. Emailed it to my friend that works with ARF rescue who is a HUGE PB advocate. I'm sure we'll here details from her...

It's is frickin' phenomenal, eh?? (Happy dancing here....) Anyone know how to add those little cartoon smilies that wiggle about?? THis would be a good time for a party!!!!!:crazy: :party:

Watchdog
April 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
This is very good news. The fight is half over!!!

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Was on hold for an eternity, BUT! the staff read me the story over the phone! I scribbled as fast as I could and did get more info! Should be a detective!!:evil:

The Justice of the Peace was Helen Gale and SHE is the one who said that it is virtually impossible to determine what breed a dog is and that the CKC has no breed recognized as pit bull in Canada therefore the law was flawed.

The dog, Titus, is 4 years old and is owned by Jody Kirby. She was charged under the DLA (?) for not complying with muzzle/neuter orders. This case was heard yesterday in the Provincial Offences Court and she won!. No lawyers name listed.

:thumbs up

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM
sorry, forgot to add this. Anyone from that area able to add to this event??

Luvmypit
April 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!!!! :grouphug: :queen: :king: :clown: :party:

Did I say WOO HOO?

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Did you say something Luvmypit?? Did you say

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO???? !!!!!

Let's get the party started!! :crazy: :D :p

Luvmypit
April 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Ok Lezz this is great!

This is what we needed. Just one judge to rule based solely on whether the dog was pit or not. What a beautiful day! This will I hope set a precedent. Now its important to pass this info on to anyone in court, and especailly anyone fighting this. Its so obviously under covered by the media so some poor sole fighting for their dog may not know about this.

What do you think this means? Could it be good times coming? I am wondering since I heard that no one has been found guilty under the new law could it mean Ontario is playing is safe to avoid lawsuits? Or am I just totally off base here? Even in pit bull attack cases they haven't used it. Why would they do that?

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM
...to everyone in the universe that I know that has a vested interest in this issue. I even checked a few pb websites and oddly enough, NOTHING about this lawsuit was on any of them! What's up with that?? I figured the Dog Legistative Council of Canada or some other Ontario PB orgs would have this smeered all over their webpages, but they don't......yet!

I agree, it is "under-covered". I really think it's a good thing that the first thing I do when I go to my kitchen each morning, is turn on CBC radio, or I would have missed it entirely! I have been checking in to see if ANYONE out there has heard anything more at all, but, nope....seems to be like a dream! But I did call CBC radio to make sure I wasn't going bonkers....and it did happen!

Now it is up to us to investigate further and share the news! Get to work!!!!:D

Invicta
April 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
www.sarniasun.com

There is a .pdf of the article there.

What awesome awesome news!!

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I knew it was out there! Well done Invicta! Now let's spread the word. This needs to be broadcast for sure:thumbs up

twodogsandacat
April 20th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Jenga anybody?

seeker
April 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM
The sky looked a little bluer today didn't it ?

twodogsandacat
April 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM
The sky looked a little bluer today didn't it ?

Actually it's been a bad news day for McGuinty all day. Check out Caledonia. But I digress.

A spokesperson for the Attorney General’s office did not know if the case was the first of its kind anywhere in the province.

“We don’t track those sorts of things,” said Brendan Crawley.
Crawley was quick to point out the case should not been seen as a challenge to the legislation, but an individual court case under the law.

“If I’m acquitted of theft, that doesn’t mean I’ve been successful in challenging the Criminal Code,” explained Crawley.

Actually it does if the REASON for the acquittal was an inadequacy in the law. Other judges will find the same. Municipalities will stop laying charges in cases they can’t win. Defendants will start to seek costs.

And it’s BS (not BSL) when he says they don’t track these sort of things. Read the other story posted today regarding the dog in Hamilton.

Hon. Michael Bryant (Attorney General) : The member knows that the implementation of the law and the application of the law is done at a local level. Mayor Di Ianni has said that the rules are the rules and the law is the law and that the law must be complied with. I am confident that they will resolve this at the local level.

If you don’t track these sort of things then Mr. Bryant seems very knowledgeable as to what Mr. Ianni has said. The first time this man has ever appeared knowledgeable about anything in my humble opinion.

Babyrock or Seeker. If either of you want to contact the Hamilton dog owner or Peter and suggest they fight this in court I will throw in $150 for the inital consultation.

seeker
April 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Twodogsandacat , you make good points as usual . It is kind of ironic that they have all the stats when it looks good for them but no stats when it doesn't support them . Not the first time they have played that tune.
Yes, Caledonia is making Dalton look more inept than usual .
I said the sky looked bluer today , I am hoping for a real good run of "clear" skies in the Fall of 2007 .
If Babyrocky can contact these people I might be able to help a little too . Unfortunately my time to do any contact work is limited , just started an new job and time is something I have little of right now!

lezzpezz
April 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
sent to me from a fellow anti BSL-er!!

"FANTASTIC NEWS!!!! And Taco the Pit bull in Windsor also won and is free too!!! I don't have all the particulars, but I asked Emily about it and she said THEY WON!!! HAPPY DAYS!!! "

Anyone have any news article on this one???

YIPPEE!!!!!! Happy dance all over again!!!!!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Georgiapeaches
April 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yay for the dog in Sarnia!!!!!!!

Lezz, Taco won??? Really?!!!!!! OOhhhh that makes me extremely happy.
I'll be seeing Emily tonight and ask her more!

lezzpezz
April 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Hey GP! Nice to hear from you again! It was Conners that sent me the email about Taco. Can you believe this!! It's GREAT!!

On a related note, I was in contact with a lady that does disc dog (frisbee) and had asked if she would like to bring her dogs along for a demo at one of the leash free parks, but she can't! You know why??????

Because her dogs (Staffies) are now considered a banned breed and cannot be in public w/out a muzzle! Which makes frisbee catching a moot point!! What a crock! She has ceased allowing her dogs to do what they are dying to do!!! It is really outrageous as her dogs are true athletes and one has won 4 titles in the sport! Such a shame!

I sent her the news of Taco and Tidus to try to cheer her up and to spread the good news. I hope that she sees the light at the end of the tunnel. We are getting there and we WILL WIN:highfive: :fingerscr

Loki
April 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Tidus is on the front page of the Winsor star:
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=aab2ea56-61fc-40b6-acf1-0fab267d0e4d&k=53339

They've got a sound-off section to post comments.

LM1313
April 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
That's great!!!

Schwinn
April 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
Just so you all know, I am now doing my happy dance...

babyrocky1
April 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
OMG Ive been sooo busy with the fundraiser I missed all this wahoooo oh someone already said that wahooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! what does this mean to the May case though??? Its gotta be good doesnt it? Wahoooooo!!!! And Taco, one of our first sad storys, he was even before Saving Lily wasnt he....Advocates must be really happy!!!!!

wdawson
April 21st, 2006, 10:09 PM
babyrocky

this has to be great news....more ammo for ruby.........wwhhoo

babyrocky1
April 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
I sure think sooo W Dawson, but we still have a way to go i guess.... clayton has to win thats for sure!
Im reading these posts backwards now...you guys want me to contact Peter Kormos????
We all know I just :love: him but I dont really know him very well....lol
You have to send me more specific instrucions...!
I havent even gotten to my own mpp yet.

wdawson
April 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM
i think you know what too do.......look what you have done so far....:thumbs up .....let us know what we can do to help you on this.

tybrax
April 22nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Great news have passed it around Australia on doggy websites.

Babyrock did you recieve my e-mail?

chrissie tybrax

twodogsandacat
April 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Im reading these posts backwards now...you guys want me to contact Peter Kormos????
We all know I just :love: him but I dont really know him very well....lol
You have to send me more specific instrucions...!
I havent even gotten to my own mpp yet.

That post was made before I read that Peter had offered to pay the spaying cost and that free legal counsel was provided. No need to move forward. If this one is covered of then I will hold onto that $150 for the next time it's needed.

Thanks

Watchdog
April 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Good news but it sickens me that the crown is considering an appeal.The dog is non aggressive and did not do anything wrong whatsoever.Why are these jerks so hellbent on trying to get a good and innocent dog destroyed and put that lady through hell and back all over again.What part of BSL = BS doesnt he understand? Its clear who the real aggressive killers are and it sure isnt our dogs.

twodogsandacat
April 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Technically they went down on the first shot. Appeal or no appeal it doesn’t look good for them does it?

Mr. Bryant was a boxer. Question: How many fights where you were knocked on your A$$ on the first punch you took did you end up winning the fight?

On a larger scale if they lose the upcoming court challenge from BannedAid they risk a hell of a lot more appealing that decision as there are far more important things to worry about.

That said: Reality check. We have a lot of work to do ahead of us in getting fair and workable 'dangerous dog' legislation approved - without BSL components. The BSL needs to go but there is still the underlying problem...dangerous dogs, irresponsible owners, breed for profit breeders, kids and dogs and training and pit bulls. Yes pit bulls. I actually support the spaying and neutering of pit bulls unless you have competed in a legal activity and breeding your dog is for the betterment of the breed rather than – I need a little extra Christmas money. If you don't comply the dog isn't destroyed...you are fined.

There are so many pit bulls that they are considered disposable by quite a few people, they fill shelters, they are abused, trashed, fought and generally they walk this earth with some kind of a curse on them. However unlike Michael Bryant who wants to destroy them I say let's save them and restore their reputation to what it once was...a great family dog.

Watchdog
April 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
I dont think that the Mcguinty gang really cares about anything but taking as much money from the taxpayers as they can while they hold power.This is why I fear that they will appeal the appeal as it will give them the cheap excuse they need to grab another half a million dollars on their way out the door.They dont seem to care too much about the laws they bring forward as long as they are so unjust and flawed that get appealled so they can grab some more cash fighting appeals.A breed specific law that targets a breed that doesnt specifically exist? What the hell is that? I dont just want to see this bill defeated, I want to see it set on fire.

seeker
April 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
I dont think that the Mcguinty gang really cares about anything but taking as much money from the taxpayers as they can while they hold power.This is why I fear that they will appeal the appeal as it will give them the cheap excuse they need to grab another half a million dollars on their way out the door.They dont seem to care too much about the laws they bring forward as long as they are so unjust and flawed that get appealled so they can grab some more cash fighting appeals.A breed specific law that targets a breed that doesnt specifically exist? What the hell is that? I dont just want to see this bill defeated, I want to see it set on fire.
I agree , if they can appeal a court's decision that told them they had to come through on an election promise to help the families of Autistic Kids when they were taken to task on it I would say there is no limit to how low these "one term wonders:evil: " will go to.

Watchdog
April 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM
You got it Seeker.Lets not forget that another election promise they had was not to force votes.They broke that promise so they could force this ban in.This makes me wonder if because an election promise was broken in order to bring the ban in then perhaps this reason alone is a good defence to have the ban brought down.