Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Constipated and overweight tabby cat.

Franco
April 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
My cat has been constipated for a long time. It happened three years ago and he almost died. The second vet I had spoken to missed the proper diagnosis, continually insisting on bladder stones. It took a third vet - my present one - to save him.
He still gets attacks of constipation but I am ever-watchful on him and help him with oil and laxative.
He is 15 kgs in weight. I know. Very overweight.
Any ideas?

chico2
April 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hello Franco from Malta and welcome to the Forum:grouphug:
I was reading your post and was going to say,my cats weigh about the same,but I was thinking 15 pounds(lbs):D
Then I noticed 15 KILO(approx 30lbs+)and that is a lot for a cat.
I would think it all depends on what and how much you feed them,just like with people..I don't know what choices you have in Malta,but a good holistic food without fillers would be a start and no more tablescraps:D
I know from your posts you love your cats very much,as do I mine(3)and I am not saying put your cat on a starvation-diet,but obesity can cause a lot of problems,like diabeties(sp?)I know from a sad experience:sad:
We would love to see more pics,love orange Tabbies!

badger
April 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM
What it is about fat tabbies? I've got one too.
Buy him the best food available. There are countless discussions about cat food on this board, but generally speaking you're looking for recognizable ingredients, meat, fish, even vegetables - and minimum or no grains, corn especially. If the diet version is comparable to the regular version (they are usually full of grains and other crap so watch out) buy that. Avoid anything your vet is peddling.
Give him canned food as well so he gets plenty of liquid (which also prevents crystals). Small portions, no grazing, minimum treats (you don't want to totally deprive him).
Make him move - lots of playtime, whatever works. Brush him regularly to cut down on hairballs.
Warning: he probably won't lose as much as you want him too, but he will be much healthier and that alone is worth the effort.
The minute he starts to have problems, apply whatever remedy you use for a few days (mineral oil, lactulose) until he gets relief (unless he is a truly dramatic case, in which case discuss regular dosing with your vet. personally, I think it reduces the effectiveness).
Good luck! He will never be a sylph - he is probably programmed to be a bit pudgy, as are some people - so try not to obsess about it.

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM
15kgs! Morbidly obese.

What are you feeding him? Most of the really fat cats I see have dry food out all the time.