- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


I know this has been discussed before...

April 20th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Tomorrow we are bringing home a new pup. She hasent had her shots yet and I know her daddy had a very bad reaction to his vaccinations and the owner of him will not vaccinate again, leaving the decision up to me whether or not to vaccinate this pup. I came here to do some research and being a mommy to two other dogs whom have always been vaccinated...I am beginning to wonder what I should do?? I am so afraid of a bad reaction but am I correct thinking that the puppies series should be done at least? I know the vaccination issue has been disussed many many times but I am unclear if anyone is opposed to the puppy series. Im sure that they need to be done but I just wanted to hear some feedback before her first vet visit this week.

Thanks for any advice,

April 20th, 2006, 06:55 AM
As their is a hereditary factor in the vaccine reaction, make sure your vet is aware of it and exactly what the reaction was. Depending on the reaction, they can still give the vaccine but keep the dog under observation to ensure any adverse reaction is caught immediately and treated. They may also be able to test for a reaction without vaccinating the dog.

April 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Talk to your vet they can often break down the vaccines, so if there is a reaction you know exactly which one is causing the reaction, then if their is a problem you know which vaccine to avoid, better than leaving the dog totally unprotected, antiserums are available in case of problems, anaphylactic shock occurs fairly soon after the vaccine it given so waiting at the vets a 1/2 hour the first time each vaccine is given, is a way to ensure make sure an antiserum is given right away is a problem does develop. The Lepto vaccine is the often the part of the vaccine that could cause a anaphylactic reaction, so often all that needs to be done for those is to use a combo that does not contain the Lepto portion in the future