Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heat Cycle/Breeding Question

BlesFreedom
April 20th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot :confused: - My maiden bitch came into heat around the 30th of March. She started flagging our male on April 4th but we didn't get a tie until the 7th; 8th; and 9th. My concern is that she never stopped bleeding. When researching heat cycles every thing I've read say's the first week they bleed (bitch is not respective); the 2nd week their bleeding stops (bitch's fertile period); 3 third week bitch will bleed again but not as heavily as before. Some articles mentioned light brownish bleeding during the mating faze but her's remained fairly heavy and bright red. Now nearly two weeks after her 1st tie she is still bleeding (but no longer bright red - color is now a dark brownish almost black).
Has anyone else experienced a heat cycle like this? What are my chances of having puppies (I got 5 successful ties of the 3 days mentioned)? Being that she's a maiden bitch is it possible that she accepted the male before she was ovulating?

Thanks in Advance!

On a side note: I'm aware of the benefits of spaying and neutering. The dogs I'm breeding are pedigreed dogs with all their health screening. (Fingers crossed the breeding took) This will be my first and probably only litter of puppies, and my only reason for this breeding is to carry on an exceptional bloodline. :thumbs up

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Probably should have her checked to make sure all is well but from my limited knowledge, normally a bitch goes out of season about 3-4 days after insemination is successful.

phoenix
April 20th, 2006, 07:13 AM
When researching heat cycles every thing I've read say's the first week they bleed (bitch is not respective);

Do you mean receptive?

How old is your female?

You should perhaps get yourself an experienced mentor instead of trying to get advice over the internet.

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM
This will be my first and probably only litter of puppies, and my only reason for this breeding is to carry on an exceptional bloodline

So both of your dogs have been shown to championships in something? That's the only way to know if they are breeding quality. Otherwise they should not be bred.

BlesFreedom
April 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I have a experienced mentor, but I'm trying to gather as much information as I can (that's what responsible breeders do).
And no, these are not show dogs. . .They are working dogs, the come from strong working lines and have an amazing drive. A dog doesn't have to be a 'show dog' to have exceptional bloodlines.
She has been checked by a vet. . .he said every dog is different and there's no reason for concern, yet. However, he can't determine weather the breeding was successful until she is between 21 and 30 days.
My only reason for posting was to see if anyone else might have had experience with a heat cycle like this.

Thanks BMDLuver - your the only person who offered any helpful information, I really appreciate it.

Prin
April 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM
When you say health checked, do you mean DNA tested and x-rayed or just looked over by a vet?

Thanks BMDLuver - your the only person who offered any helpful information, I really appreciate it.I thought that was a bit rude. Seems to me like people are just trying to get more info.:confused:

phoenix
April 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have a experienced mentor, but I'm trying to gather as much information as I can (that's what responsible breeders do).

No, that's actually not what responsible breeders do. THEY already have the information before they start breeding. Does your mentor not have advice for you? Because most of us here have spayed/neutered animals and do not breed, so we're probably a poor choice for advice of this nature, whereas an "experienced breeder" should.

Thanks BMDLuver - your the only person who offered any helpful information, I really appreciate it.

If steering you in the appropriate direction isn't helpful, then good luck to you. I also think it is a rude response, so I won't be offering any more...

White Wolf
April 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Closed to avoid ugliness and further rudeness. Please refer to your mentor or your vet for help with breeding issues.