Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still trying to figure it out...

Samsilver
April 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Baby Girl, 5 month old American Bulldog has been sick for about 2 weeks. We've been to the vet, twice and the doggie ER. They've done xrays (nothing broken, no foreign bodies) and blood tests (blood cell count ok, nothing wrong with her liver, kidneys or stomach), as well as hydrating her, giving her an IV and giving her meds for upset stomach and now antibiotics. She hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since Friday and she's rapidly losing weight as well as running a fever. I did get her to eat about 1/3 cup of dog food today and sip a little water, but about 15 minutes later, she vomited. Our vet said she is an enigma. We can't afford further testing but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before. Any suggestions would help.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Some intestinal blockages don't show up on X-rays and only exploratory surgery can find them.

She hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since Friday and she's rapidly losing weight as well as running a fever.

IF she doesn't eat or drink she will die.

joeysmama
April 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I can tell you what I would do in your situation. I would talk to the vet about reducing the cost of the test or treatment. (When my old rescue had to go in weekly for eye checks for a few months the vet did this without my even asking him.) Next I would ask if they would accept payments on time.

If these answers don't meet with your satisfaction get out your phone book and call vets until you find one who will work with you !!

You can get care credit which allows you to postpone payment. We applied right there in the ER and were able to use it for that same visit.

PLEASE, do not let money stop you from getting this baby the treatment she needs.

BELIEVE ME, I understand how you feel about the money. Our dog became very ill the same year that we were tackling two college tuitions, and beginning a new business, and paying off some pretty high medical bills. I know the feeling of wanting them to find out what's wrong right now before it costs any more. I really did not think we could afford one more test, one more vet bill, one more night's stay at the ER. But we managed and they worked with us.

Good luck to you and poor Baby Girl !!