Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

flea meds

loveyadogs
April 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
:cool: I am in sunny st catharines
Just a question about fleas, when (month) or (temperture) shoud I call in to te vets to buy flea advantage?

jawert1
April 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Depends on where you're located - here in the greater Washington DC area, flea and tick season are already here, so my dogs are on their Frontline Plus (have been since Feb.) and yes, call your vet to get Advantage or Frontline - whichever you prefer.

jessi76
April 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
it does depend where you're located, I'm in Mass, and my dog got fleas around xmas time last year. Freezing outside, snow on the ground... and my dog got FLEAS.... Needless to say, he's been on Frontline Plus since then. I didn't think I had to worry about fleas in winter... boy, was I WRONG.

SnowDancer
April 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I would say now. I am in Toronto - normally we get the combo heartworm/flea topical meds but this year there is concern that topical is not properly penetrating skin in double coated pups (I have an Eskimo) - so we go the chewable heartworm. Flea would be separate in this case. First heartworm was taken April 15 so that is day we would have applied topical.

mystikraz
April 19th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I have no idea. Very good question though. Im in Florida and have no idea. My cats seem to be flea free right now. I use Advantage when they have had them before and it worked great.

jesse's mommy
April 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
As of right now, Jesse is fine too. I think we use Advantage too. I have to look for sure, but I don't feel like it right now. It's the gooey stuff you get from the vet and spread it down their backs if that is any help. It's wonderful stuff!

PetFriendly
April 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM
We use Revolution for both the dog and cats which gets rid of worms, fleas and heartworm. The vet said it can wait until June, but I think we'll get it in May when we go for annual shots and keep it up all year (we got fleas in January and we are in cold windy Ottawa)