Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Spraying/Urinating

MAROEMER
April 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi All:

This is my first visit and hope that someone can help me. Last summer my neighbor was adopted by a street cat, who has already had one litter of kittens and brought one back to the house. The kitten was promptly adopted by my neighbor. Mamakitty has since made herself at home on the porch and is now ready to deliver again.

My problem is that not only are other cats in the neighborhood taken to peeing/spraying on my porch, our own cat is trying to get out. The smell is really starting to SMELL, especially since the weather is getting warmer. My family spends a lot of time on our porch during the summer months and I need to find a way to rid us of the smell, and to keep the cats from approaching our porch again.

I really don't want to use chemicals if at all possible. I've never had this problem before, so I am finding myself at a brick wall....Please any help or sugesstions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....:fingerscr

PetFriendly
April 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
White vinegar can help get rid of the smell, but so long as the cat goes into heat, cats will keep visiting and spraying.

MAROEMER
April 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks, PetFriendly...but I really need to get rid of these cats...is there not anything to deter them...they never came onto our porch until the neighbor was adopted..so it's not like they were coming to a smell that was already there.

Lucky Rescue
April 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
What I did when I had this problem was to take the mother cat and get her spayed.

You need to tell your neighbour to get this done. Best thing for everyone, especially the poor cat.

Nothing will keep the tomcats away and the neighbourhood will be overrun with cats unless someone takes responsibility.