Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching to raw questions

Melei'sMom
April 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ok, so we did the Iams Sucks discovery and switched to Wellness. Guess what! my furbaby has again proved she has great taste and refuses to eat it unless I sit there and feed it to her! :eek:

So she loves meat and we started doing some research for natural alternatives for her with the idea that we would go to the 'barf' diet and discoveres the 'prey-model raw feeding'

After loads of researching that over the last 4-5 days, that is defianately the new diet we will implement.

so we have set the day for Saturday because she has a vet appt on Friday Morning and I want to make sure she is going into this in the best shape, or knowing any problems (not a real concern, just a percaution)

Anyway, now onto the the questions...

1. I have found that most if not all agree that it should be 10% bone, 10% organ and the rest meat...but no one has adressed fat content...what percentage should be fatty?

2. Melei is under 5 lbs, and both her parents are small (9 lbs and 12 lbs)...the 2-3% of ideal adult body weight seems like it might be too small to be a "prey" and give her the feeding workout that is one of the benefits. Would the peice of back usually attached to a drumstick be a good choice?

3. I will be starting with chicken as her first protien, should the bone be included right from the get go, or should I start with boneless, given her small size? and once she is eating a variaty, does she need 10% bone every day or can she have more bone some days and none others?

4. Is the bones of a raw trout safe? should I remove the backbone and/or ribs, they seem pretty tiny and I want to know if it is dangerous for her to eat them. I would like this to be a major part of her diet as we love to fish for rainbow, but don't eat it, usually just give it away, so free food for Melei!

5. Cold turkey or gradually? that seems to be under contention and would love to know if any here have done either way and the result.

6. I know that veggies are not meant for them, but Melei loves them. A good training treat alternative maybe?

that is the questions for now, I am sure I will have more as time goes on.

Any and all help appreiciated:)

technodoll
April 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
congratulations! melei's a very lucky dog! :) I'll try to answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge...

1. I have found that most if not all agree that it should be 10% bone, 10% organ and the rest meat...but no one has adressed fat content...what percentage should be fatty?

i would start with leaner meats at first (trim visible fat & most of the globs of skin off chicken, for example). too many fats too soon may give loose stools to some dogs. turkey is also lean, as is lean beef... pork and lamb are both fatty meats, a little goes a long way!

2. Melei is under 5 lbs, and both her parents are small (9 lbs and 12 lbs)...the 2-3% of ideal adult body weight seems like it might be too small to be a "prey" and give her the feeding workout that is one of the benefits. Would the peice of back usually attached to a drumstick be a good choice?

yes, a good choice! feed more bone some days, less on others, the key is balance over time (say two or three weeks). a drumstick with back attached is fabulous, so is a small turkey neck, a chicken wing if melei's not a gulper, let her go to town on whole cornish hens if you want! or a bone-in chicken half... some dogs will gorge some meals and fast others. it's fun to discover what your dog likes!

3. I will be starting with chicken as her first protien, should the bone be included right from the get go, or should I start with boneless, given her small size? and once she is eating a variaty, does she need 10% bone every day or can she have more bone some days and none others?

see above re: balance over time. and yes i would definitely include bone from the get-go, to firm up the stools.

4. Is the bones of a raw trout safe? should I remove the backbone and/or ribs, they seem pretty tiny and I want to know if it is dangerous for her to eat them. I would like this to be a major part of her diet as we love to fish for rainbow, but don't eat it, usually just give it away, so free food for Melei!

raw fish bones are totally soft and digestible, no problems at all there - lucky Melei, mmm trout!

5. Cold turkey or gradually? that seems to be under contention and would love to know if any here have done either way and the result.

definitely cold turkey. keeping kibble or canned food in the house could lead to a picky dog, and digestion rates are different so you shouldn't feed both in a same meal... once YOU are comfortable with feeding her raw... the DOG will be more than ready :D

6. I know that veggies are not meant for them, but Melei loves them. A good training treat alternative maybe?

absolutely. my raw-fed girl gets about 15-20% bone, about 50% meat, 10% organs and the rest canned fish, eggs, cubes of cheese, peanut-butter sandwiches, some plate leftovers, milkbone cookies, yogurt, canned food.... she won't eat fruit or veggies, so eh - not a problem :rolleyes:

good luck and please keep us posted!

Melei'sMom
April 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
whole cornish hens if you want! or a bone-in chicken half

Good Heavens! those are almost as big as her! that would be a sight to see!

Thanks for all your answers. you where extremely helpful. :thumbs up

Went shopping today and found 'warehouse packs' of chicken legs w/ back attached for $1/lb! bought 2 big packs that had 10 in each and the portions work out to about 87cents each! We set up an assembly line with me pulling the skin off and dropping it in the baggie held by my 8 year old and he handed it to my 13 year old to be twist tied and my daughter put it in the freezer. This could work out pretty good if they are willing to help all the time. :fingerscr

oh, oh! <waving hand in air>
got a question...
Are pork hocks and pork riblets ok meat sources?

technodoll
April 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Are pork hocks and pork riblets ok meat sources?

it depends on how much meat melei can rip and pull of them :D better off with lean pork, like a roast with the fat trimmed off (i buy them at .99\pound on sale), yes pork riblets are a good workout for chewing too! let her work at a big hunk of meat and it's a good workout too... beef tails are also excellent.

by cornish hens i meant those tiny ones that come 6 to a pack? they fit in the palm of your hand, they're so small, LOL!

oh and whole, raw frozen sardines are also great, specially in the summer!

:highfive:

Melei'sMom
April 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
oh ok. I didn't know they came that small. I have only every seen the ones that are about half the size of a chicken lol.

I guess everything in Alberta is big ;)

this is my little girl...sorta a before pick and I will post another in a month for comparison. (and many before then, I am so proud of my babygirl :love: ) I am hoping she will have a nicer coat then :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/teresab3st/Melei/meleiandmeE.jpg

technodoll
April 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
she is beautiful! you will certainly notice a softer, thicker and shinier coat after a month or so of raw feeding, as well as sweet breath and white teeth... and if you feed more bone, the poops will be like little hard grapes that disappear on their own after a few weeks in the sun!

have you joined any raw-feeding groups for support?...

:crazy:

mastifflover
April 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Well you got good advice so no need to add anything here. But please post and tell us the differences you notice in your dog.

Melei'sMom
April 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
have you joined any raw-feeding groups for support?...
Yes I have, 2 infact. I figure if the different users on each group say the same thing, it is probably more reliable than just one. so I guess 3 if you countthis site too :pawprint:

meb999
April 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Well you got good advice so no need to add anything here. But please post and tell us the differences you notice in your dog.

Yup, I agree!

I would love to know how things go, how your dog reacts, etc. I've been thinking about feeding raw, but I'm really afraid. First of all, I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe. And I've been reading up on the pros and cons of feeding raw, and some researchers say it's too hard to digest. So Buster having a sensitive tummy (every time I try to switch him on a more natural diet, he gets wicked diarhea and vomitting) so I'm a little weary.

I'd love to hear a step-by-step of someone starting this diet!

technodoll
April 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
And I've been reading up on the pros and cons of feeding raw, and some researchers say it's too hard to digest

they're on crack! i'll put my hand in the fire those "researchers" are paid by petfood companies - that is such a ludicrous load of BS... what do they think the planet's carnivores are eating on a daily basis? and you don't see them popping Pepto Bismol tablets, LOL!

kibble is MUCH harder to digest, no natural enzymes, no moisture, un-natural grains and by-products, etc. it's ain't rocket science :D

meb999
April 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=technodoll]they're on crack! i'll put my hand in the fire those "researchers" are paid by petfood companies - that is such a ludicrous load of BS... what do they think the planet's carnivores are eating on a daily basis? and you don't see them popping Pepto Bismol tablets, LOL!

LOL!!! :D

Melei'sMom
April 20th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yup, I agree!

I would love to know how things go, how your dog reacts, etc. I've been thinking about feeding raw, but I'm really afraid. First of all, I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe. And I've been reading up on the pros and cons of feeding raw, and some researchers say it's too hard to digest. So Buster having a sensitive tummy (every time I try to switch him on a more natural diet, he gets wicked diarhea and vomitting) so I'm a little weary.

I'd love to hear a step-by-step of someone starting this diet!

Rather then load down this site with all I have to say about this experience, (I can be rather wordy at times ;) ) I have decided to start a blog about it. if you want to follow along, the address is http://rawdiary.blogspot.com/

I hope I'm not breaking the rules posting that:eek:

I was going to switch on Saturday, but I just couldn't wait anymore, seeing as getting her to eat her kibble is a long, frustating process everyday. So, today was day 1!

meb999
April 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
cool...I'll keep an eye on it...