Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it too cold for my kitties

busterandmoe
April 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
As a new pet owner I seem to come up with so many questions...

Now that it is getting so nice outside, I lwould ike to leave my sliding glass doors open at night. It's been about 45 degrees Farenheit at night and I'm wondering if that's too cold for my 5-1/2 month old boys, Buster & Moe.

Also, in the summer what temperature should you start leaving the air conditioning on for them? My co worker doesn't have air conditioning...that can't be good for cats, can it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

jessi76
April 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
first, I don't believe in leaving cats out all night. nevermind the temperature, they could easily be attacked by another animal, be killed by another animal, get in fights, get lost, be run over, really, this list could go on and on. not to mention, if you're leaving your door open, you could also be inviting unwanted animals into your house.

I do let my cats outside but ONLY under supervision, and ONLY during the daytime.

about the AC issue.... as long as the air is moving, and the cat is provided PLENTY of water at all times, AC isn't necessary. I once lived in a stiffling attic apartment, only 3 windows, no AC. I kept many fans on 24/7 to keep the air moving, provided a kitty-water fountain in addition to multiple water dishes around the apartment, and my cat was very happy & healthy.

busterandmoe
April 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I must not have been clear. I open my sliding glass door, but I leave the screen closed. My sweet boys have never even been outside yet! I just meant is it too cold inside if I just have the screen door closed.

Does that make sense?

jessi76
April 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I must not have been clear. I open my sliding glass door, but I leave the screen closed. My sweet boys have never even been outside yet! I just meant is it too cold inside if I just have the screen door closed.

Does that make sense?

** big sigh of relief ** sorry, I didn't realize they were screened in... thanks for clarifying.

45 degrees is too chilly for me to leave any doors/windows open (I still have the heat on), but if you're up for the artic air, by all means... I'd provide some snuggly spots for your kitties though. again, sorry I misunderstood!

Melei'sMom
April 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
can I just make the suggestion that if you are going to have the screen exposed that you protect the bottom 1/2 from kitty claws please?

I would hate to hear that your beloved kittens have escaped by clawing a hole.

busterandmoe
April 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Jessie!

I hated to think you thought I'd turn my babies out into the night all alone! I won't even go out alone!

As for the arctic air...I think I must be having hot flashes!

Thanks again.

jessi76
April 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
As for the arctic air...I think I must be having hot flashes!

lol, you must be! last night was in the low 40's for us, and I had my bf fire up the woodstove! (and I had on sweats, was under a blanket, and had 1 dog & 2 cats snuggling w/ me)

Melei'sMom brought up a good point though - kitty proof screening is best. I just bought a bunch of pet-screening at the harware store, it's on my to-do list this weekend.

busterandmoe
April 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'll put pet screening on my to do list this weekend also. Thanks for alerting me to something I never thought of.

chico2
April 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Busterandmore,I could never go to sleep with my patio-door open except for the screen-door,all kinds of critters would be visiting:D
Raccoons are great at tearing the screen as are my cats.
We did change it last year to an aluminum-screen and so far it's been safe.
As for a/c,my cats are really happy on hot,humid summer-days to go inside(they are outside with us,not alone) to the nice cool house.
Don't worry,cats always find a nice cozy place to curl up in:D

busterandmoe
April 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm on a second level balcony and always leave the screen door shut so I don't get little visitors, but it's a good point to secure the screen so my kitties don't get out.

Thanks for all the advice! So many things to learn.

BusterBoo
April 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
As a suggestion for your screen door......

we have placed a piece of plexiglass at the bottom of the screen and screwed it into the screendoor frame. It is the exact width of the screendoor and about 2 feet high. This way when Harley (sorry, it's a dog, but same idea....) wants out and he scratches at the door, he is actually scratching on plexiglass and not screen. We have one on each side and it does save on replacing screen every year.