Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Valley Fever

athlone
April 17th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Hello,
Our Jack Russel picked up the valley fever fungus in Arizona this winter. She is being treated with fluconozole and is responding, we think, but very slowly. We were wondering if anyone else has had to take their pet through this treatment program. We know it is a long process, but we need some reassurance that we are doing the right thing for our dog.
Thank you in advance.
Kelly

OntarioGreys
April 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hi Kelly: Sorry about your pup, it is a nasty disease, glad it was diagnosed and treatment begun, was it just in his lungs or has it spread into his bones?

This site is very helpful , there is a drop down menu for Valley Fever in dogs
that can answer some questions for you. http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/VFID-prog.htm

Because alot of the greyhound farms are located in areas where Valley fever exists there are a few greyhound adoptive owners who have had to deal with this, one recently did not survive :sad: , I have not had to deal with it myself, though one of my greyhounds is Texas born so I had him checked out for diseases common to the area just to be on the safe side.

visit www.Greytalk.com and post in the medical section, I am sure some people there can give there experiences or know of a dog that has had to deal with this.

Maria

athlone
April 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Maria,
Thanks for the response and info. We have already looked at the site you recommended, but the contact with the greyhounds is a thought.
The disease doesn't seem to have gone beyond her lungs; thank goodness for that, but she is a sufferer, and we do want to do what is best for her.
Take care.
Kelly