Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Submissive/Excited peeing...HELP!!

Lump of Kohl
April 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I have a friend who just adopted a 7month old female Cocker Spaniel who has what seems like an extreme peeing problem. She pees for everything. My friend was advised that the reason was submissive peeing. Does anyone have any advise on curbing the habit? :confused: It may also help to know that she is not spayed--yet.

To give you an idea....we left Pepsi(thats the spaniels name) at about 1-1:30 some time after that my friend's boyfriend put Pepsi in her crate. When we got back at about 6 Pepsi had already peed in her crate(no it is not too big for her nor is there water in there). We went to take her for a walk and my friend had to take Pepsi outside in order to put her leash on because she will pee from excitement every time! We walked her and she went potty. We took her upstairs gave her a bath. She went pee in the living room once more at some point and then again at about 8 when my friend put Pepsi's leash on to take her on anther walk. That is at least 5 times in 7 hours:eek: .

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Sounds like 2 problems. Peeing in the crate while you are gone isn't either. It's not being fully housebroken yet.

Submissive and excited peeing in a cocker is something I've learned you live with. They may out grow it if you ignore it happening, they may do it less, or it may always be like this. This is why non cocker people when they see a cocker make stupid comments about them and being not potty trained.

Mine excited peed in the beginning when she saw new people while trying to jump on them, and eventually it turned to fear. It's diminished in amount and frequency, but if anyone trys to pet her before she's gotten accusomed to them she lets it go.

Has the dog been checked by a vet for a uti or something else medical? Should be the first step to rule that out. Might not be her fault at all.

Luba
April 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Young dogs and this one is a puppy still have the same problem small children have...small bladders and developing bladder muscles.

The pup should be taken outside hourly for a pee and praised for peeing outside and always take her out before you go anywhere to pee (don't play with her on the 'pee' breaks until she has a pee) this may mean you need to leave her on leash in the yard until she pees.

sealady
April 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I have one that does this Excited peeing and she's almost two.
No bladder problem no infection, just plain o excitable.

Now she is not crated and I never have.
But everyone knows to call me before coming over or coming home, this includes my husband, she thinks pop coming home is the best news of the day.
Anyway when they call I get out these ruffled panties for dogs.
I put a clean pad in, (the kind women use, sometimes you have to cut them smaller) put her ruffles on and no problem, no floor to clean, no one gets wet.
As soon as she settles down I remove them throw out the pad (if it's wet) and put in a clean one.

Honest there is nothing you can do, and if you draw attention to it it only gets worse.

Just take the pup out as often as you can, let her go potty and give a treat.

It's the same as some people that blush if something happens, a off colored joke, just any reason, well you know they can't control the blushing and some dogs never can control the excitable peeing.
After a vet check up buy some cute ruffled panties and love the puppy.
SeaLady

Bushfire2000
April 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Year old Cocoa has just started to submisive pee. Lacey is the boss and when Cocoa crosses the line Lacey growls at Cocoa and Cocoa cowers and pees. Its a recent thing and I just ignore it and wipe it up. I think it will settle down once Cocoa had decided where she fits and knows what Lacey conciders over the line.

Soroush
April 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Lucy pees out of excitement too. She only started doing this after I left her at home to go to work. I noticed if I don't pay any attention to her when I come home it doesn't happen as often.

I'm hoping she'll grow out of it.(she's a Shih-tzu mix btw)

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Submissive or excitement urination is pretty common in puppies. Many outgrow this as they gain more bladder control and/or confidence. Princess, our 3 mth old Bichon/Pom mix will also pee out of excitement when one of us comes home after being out for a little while. My uncle’s GSD used to pee out of submissiveness when she was a puppy, she outgrew this eventually.

Here are some links regarding submissive and excitement urination. It provides some good tips on helping your dog overcome this.
http://www.dogdaysusa.com/behaviorcenter_urination.asp
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/behaviourproblems/suburine.html
http://www.perfectpaws.com/excur.html

OntarioGreys
April 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
It sound more like a urinary tract infection, at 7 months old they can hold usually 6 or more hours, first rule out a medical problem, these articles explain excitable/submissive peeing
http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm

http://www.dogdaysusa.com/behaviorcenter_urination.asp

I have a submissive dog that used to pee frequently, when guests arrive, if I looked her in the eyes, raise my voice for some reason, she would come running to me when I arrived excited dribbling at the same time, I mostly used games to build her self confidence which helped tremendously and when I come home to I do not touch or look at her but take her directly outside once I am back inside and sitting then it is time for use to interact

If after a vet check and reading these articles yuou still feel this is what she has then this article can be helpful in teaching how to build her confidence, http://devinefarm.net/articles/submiss.htm

macdonv
April 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
My mum has a Cocker, and he's always excited-peed. He was a kennel dog before she got him, so that might be part of the problem, but he's never gotten over it. She gets around the problem by letting him out as soon as she gets home (before she even comes in the door). She greets him outside, so if he dribbles, it's outside. Visitors are advised not to make a fuss over him, and basically ignore him until he decides to come investigate. That gives him some control, and saves the carpet.

At 7 months old, it sounds like Pepsi just isn't fully housebroken yet - just like kids, puppies have smaller bladders and haven't fully learned to control those muscles yet. As long as she's not being scolded for these accidents (she's too young to be doing it on purpose), she'll gain better control as she gets older. She may not outgrow the excited peeing thing, but you can adapt to it. Tell your friend good luck! :fingerscr

jawert1
April 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
My Peaches is 5 (or thereabouts) and still pees ON my mother any time she sees her. Nobody else anymore, just my mother, and mom doesn't have to even touch her, just look at her. Personally I find it riotously funny, as does my dad, but then, we're not the ones getting "showered" with love. Good luck and hopefully it's not something physically wrong that's causing this and it's only behavioural (which all can be worked on) :)

phoenix
April 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
:crazy: That is so funny Jawert. Maia does this too, with my sister. It is soooo strange that it is only with one person... I wonder what's going on in her head!

chico2
April 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I had a Cocker many years ago and he peed too,every time someone petted him.
Now I walk my neighbors Cocker Bailey,she is 6yrs old and does it every day when I pick her up,she'll roll over on her back,little stumpy tail wagging and pee,she's always done that and I've known her since she was a pup.
However,I never see any pee on the kitchen-floor where she is kept,so she is otherwise house-trained.

Lump of Kohl
April 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice:grouphug: . I am forwarding all those websites to my friend.

Although I don't think Pepsi is peeing on purpose I don't think she is too young to do that. My now 8-9month old chi Kohl:evil: did that from when I first got him 1/20. He doesn't do it often but occasionally when I ignore him too long he will walk away look at me and then pee or stand right next to me and squat:mad: (that one is a very funny story). As a matter of fact I was helping my friend give Pepsi a bath and as she is so excitable we shut Kohl out of the bathroom(he is non destructive:angel: ) and left him to his own devices in the living room. Well when we came out he was so sweet:rolleyes: as to leave us a "present:yuck: " right outside the bathroom door. Same with this evening when I came home. I just puppy proofed my patio so that he could have more room to run around while I am at work and he left me a "present:yuck: " right in front of the patio door on his new rug. He apparently doesn't like too much freedom. I think he feels safer in his crate.