Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Katrina dog...Please help!

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Hello, I've been fostering a Katrina rescue for two months. Last Sat. he began having diaharria with bloody mucus. On Monday went to the vet, and they did blood work. It was normal. A fecal check was negative for worms but five days later (Friday) they gave him a dose of Strongen because with diaharria , sometimes worms are difficult to detect.

They prescribed antibiotics for five days and pepto bismal tablets twice a day. They also told me not to feed him for 24 hours, and to feed him a bland canned food they prescribed. That was Monday a week ago...He got the Srongen last Friday.

He continues to have very soft stool with blood.

Has anyone seen this before? He is not lethargic. Don't want to return him to the shelter.

jawert1
April 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Don't want to return him to the shelter.

Then don't. I can't imagine a worse thing to do than return a sick dog who's had a miserable go of things back to a nasty situation. I'm sorry to pounce here, but bloody loose stools are an indicator of something wrong, anything from round worms to whip worm - which is miserable to get rid of and requires a lot of monitoring of the dog at all times, and never being left alone outside since worms reside then in the soil where he/she's gone. I would seriously take the pup back to the vet, this is not normal, though I do agree with the bland diet. When he does start to feel better and have normal stools, then slowly blend his regular food back into the bland diet until he's just back to normal. WARNING: this process will take time. If you have questions about what food to feed him, check out the food forum for some great recommendations. I truly hope you don't give up on this dog, he's had a miserable start to begin with and clearly isn't well. Good luck and please keep posted on his recovery.

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Jenn, Thank you for your reply...

Does this sound like worms to you? He had whipworms after I got him, and was treated with a dose of strongen. Several weeks later when he was due for his follow up treatment, my husband and were on vacation for a week. He was back at the shelter for that week. Although I reminded them, I think they forgot to give him his second dose of Strongen.

The shelter does not want to spend more money on a vet. If I complain that he's having problems, they'll take him back, I assure you.

So am trying to hang in there, and get him well!

My question is,....Can whipworms be this serious?...He had a very great deal of blood 'come out' at times.

His name is Norman, and he's a nut...He has been through hell, and I respect him for it. Many dogs would have chewed off thier own foot.

jawert1
April 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Whipworms can be fatal, my late springer spaniel had them and nearly died from the complications. He likely needs another dose of Strongid if not something stronger, though I have to admit it worries me that the shelter may or may not have given him the second dose. May I ask, did you adopt him fully or are you just fostering until he finds a permanent home? The reason I ask is that if he's a foster, then the vet you deal with should be the vet that deals with the shelter (they sometimes get breaks for this - the rescue I got my 2 dogs from did). If he's your permanent pup, then I would strongly recommend getting your vet to work with you on payments for his treatment, most of them will without a fuss, and when he's healthy, get him insured (there are a few links re: pet insurance that were recently posted). In either case, a return trip is in order and hopefully Norman (love the name!) will come through ok :) Good luck and keep us all posted :pawprint:

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I've never had a dog with worms!

No, Norman is not my dog. We've been fostering him for two months.

Prior to that...And I know this is sad. He was rescued by a local shelter some months after Katrina in New Orleans. He was skin and bones, and still is. When I first met him in Jan., he had been living in a crate since being rescued.

What so you mean by something stronger than strongen? What happened with your spinger and complications from whip worms? It's hard for me to understand how worms can cause this amount of bleeding. I have a lot of experience with dogs, but not with worms.

Thank you for any help you can provide...Kathryn and Norman

jawert1
April 17th, 2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.dr-dan.com/whipworm.htm

That's one of the more straightforward explanations about whipworms and their egg laying cycles, as well as the type of de-wormer to use (Panacur is mentioned). My springer had recurrent infections because I failed to note that we never replaced her favorite blanket, so she kept getting them. Because she also had anemia, she nearly died of vitamin deficiency on top of rampant blood loss. Once we cleared up the whip worms, her platelet counts went back up, and she lived another 4 full years until cancer claimed her. I hope this helps, this lil guy needs as much as he can get and though I haven't said it before, THANK YOU for fostering and working on getting him healthy. My apologies that I came off harshly towards you :sorry: Good luck and let us know how his treatment goes :)

Lucky Rescue
April 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Sometimes things like giardia and coccidia are hard to diagnose and can cause severe diarrhea.

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the link about whipworms...I had no idea they could live that long on 'things'...Up to a year?? That was a very helpful link in understanding whipworms.

I can't imagine not being able to let him out in the backyard unattended.

One thing that struck me...The mention of Filarabits Plus...Used daily to get rid of worms. Has anyone ever heard of this? Can I buy them in a pet supermarket? Has anyone tried this for whipworms?

The quote from 'The Little Prince'...Ahhhhhh. That got me. I definately trained Norman.

Please visit this link and turn up the volume on your computer to see this tribute to Katrina dogs...There's one in your community. One thing about Katrina dogs..They are so appreciative!

http://www.forpitssake.org/katrina.html
>
>

mooie
April 18th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Kathryn,
I just got to know you yesterday, and I was all involved in my guy's issues. I am truly sorry that you and Norman are having problems. God bless both of you in these trying times. He is so lucky to have you taking care of him, regardless of the outcome. I'll say prayers for both of you. You've made his life so much better. Good luck. :grouphug:

OntarioGreys
April 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
One thing that struck me...The mention of Filarabits Plus...Used daily to get rid of worms. Has anyone ever heard of this? Can I buy them in a pet supermarket? Has anyone tried this for whipworms?

Get meds only from the vet only, some dewormers sold through petstores can be dangerous, you really do need to take him to the vet to find out what is wrong Blood in stool can occur for multiple reasons as shown here http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,j6cd,00.html , so don't try to treat yourself as you may only make things worse

Strongid can take up to 3 deworming to kill the parasites
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1862

Filarabits Plus is a heartworm med is infrequently used for treatment of roundworms, not meant other parasites , in the US(not sure about Canada has been taken off the market probably due to causing liver problems in dogs
more info
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diethylcarbamazine-filaribits/page1.aspx

My fosters are treated with Drontal Plus http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/Our_Products.491.0.html?&tx_bahprdmx_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=22&cHash=36b6c48278 as the dewormer it is a one dose broad spectrum dewormer that will kill parasites(round, whip, hook and tape) at all stages(eggs, larva and adult and will kill tapes) most other dewormers have to be repeated because they only work on the adults and most do not kill tapeworms, 3 days later my fosters are started on Interceptor which is a monthly heartworm med and intestinal worm preventer and will kill anything that might have escaped the Drontal Plus treatment, it helps to protect them from internal parasites they may pick up on walks or in the yard with the exception of tapes( tapes are caused by the ingestion of a infected flea)
At day 10 a fecal float is done, this is done to ensure the dogs are worm free and all treatments are documented for the adopters, so they have a record for their vet

From the time I recieve the foster dog until the fecal results come back as negative, all poop is cleaned up and disposed of immediately, after dark I take a flashlight with me, if the foster has mushy stool the is difficult to pick up I wash it up with soapy water that has javex added this is to prevent contamination of the soil in my yard and to protect my own dogs. especially for the 6 months of the year they are not on heartworm meds.

Most groups/shelter operate on donations, the adoption fees barely cover the basic vet care, because the group I fostered for had there own vets in Oakville and I am in Woodstock, I would take the foster for the major vetter to Oakville, but things like fecal floats or treatment of UTI's I arranged to have done at my own vets, I asked if he could offer discounted price for my fosters rather than the client rate, which he agreed to do and gave me the same price as he gives the SPCA cat animals treats and then I covered those cost myself since I was saving some money for gas and time( about an 1 1/2 hours not having to drive all the way to Oakville for treatment.

kathryn3939
April 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thank you for supplying links and suggestions.

I just cooked some plain rice for Norman...His first food other that the canned presciption bland food. Shall see how that goes...

I had promised to check in with the shelter owner today...and she will call me back after talking with the vet. She may take him back...(She may feel she needs to 'see' it with her own eyes)

Also, some people are 'control freaks'...They perhaps think they can 'control' things that are not under control...Am certain that if this could be controlled I would have managed to do so. I have nothing against 'control freaks', and imagine it would be difficult to feel responsible for controlling everything...

Am committed to this dog. Know that I can't control another person. If she chooses to take him back, I have to deal with it. We've had him two months and are very attached. The shelter owner and I both want him to be adopted into a good home, so we have the same goal for him. Am happy that he is finally leash trained! He was like a kangaroo at first, he's very clumsy and a lummox. Very much of a 'Scooby-Doo' looking guy,...Tail about three feet long, and black and orange brindle stripes, one ear up, one ear down...He's a silly goofball. Not the brightest bulb in the chain, but I LOVE his attitude. He seems to have a balloon over his head that says "Just Happy to Be Here!"....

Am including a HAPPY HAPPY link to a video of a dog being reunited with his family after seven or eight months with his New Orleans owner. We search the internet looking for owners. This is so great, a must see! Turn the volume up on your computer, and watch it 'til the end. http://www.snowballschance.org/outputfinal.mpg