Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Losing my best friend too quickly

mooie
April 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Hello,
I'm new here today, but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with my beloved 12 year old BooBoo's health issues. In January, his left foreleg went out from under him and he collapsed. I thought he was having a stroke, but the vet took x-rays and said he has severe osteoarthritis. She put him on Metacam and he was fine until about a month ago. He started walking oddly - like taking baby steps with his front feet and then his hind end catching up. The vet put him on Tramadol for pain. I took him to the vet again on Saturday and she said he has no reflex in the left foreleg that started the problem. Unless I want to do MRI's and take him to a neurologist, she doesn't think there is anything that can be done for him except keep him comfortable. I don't think he would do well being anethesized for any procedure, so I don't want to do that. Could anyone give me advice on what I could do besides watching him slowly die? I might add that after he initially gets up and does the baby step thing, his motor skills seem to take over and he walks normal. Am I missing anything?

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hi, Am new to this site too...You mention he is slowly going to die. Honestly, I know of several dogs who have developed this problem, and need help getting around. One used a cart with wheels because his back legs 'won't walk'...The odd thing is he can swim perfectly. He swims for his physical therapy. Good luck. Enjoy him!

Kathryn

mooie
April 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you for answering, Kathryn,
When we visited the vet on Saturday, she brought it up. That's the last thing I wanted to hear, but I know it will happen eventually. It will not happen, however, one moment before I believe he has lost his will to live. He's such a proud guy and the "big" guy on the block. Like the dog you mentioned, there are a lot of times he acts really normal and walks just fine. That's why I'm appealing for help - in case there's something I'm missing that will enable him to keep a decent quality of life. He's an amazing boy!!

kathryn3939
April 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Think Boo Boo can have a good quality of life, even with neurological problems...Yes, you be the judge of quality of life.

We can give our dogs a good life, and when they are suffering beyond repair, we are at least able to give them a 'good death'...That is the literal meaning of euthanasia.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Kathryn, with Norman the Katrina dog I'm fostering

mooie
April 17th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Kathryn,
Thank you again and BRAVO! to you for fostering a Katrina dog. I looked at the Human Society website every day during that horrible tragedy, watching for updates on the animals left behind. Those sad, sad faces looking out of windows and doorways with no one to take care of them. You are very selfless and kind-hearted to do such a nice thing. :angel: There need to be more people like you out there. Thank you from your foster dog, too!!

GIJoe
April 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hi!

I just wanted to mention that we have a dog that has paralysis of her rear legs. We got her a cart from Eddie's Wheels to help her move around and she loves it. It certainly helped give her quality of life back to her because she can go out on walks and do the things she loves. When the time comes that your dog needs it, I would certainly recommend it. I hope all goes well for you and your best friend.

kathryn3939
April 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I just had a thought...Has Boo Boo been tested for Lyme disease? Are you in a part of the country where that's an issue?

Do an internet search on lyme disease in dogs and see if the symtoms sound possible.

How's Boo Boo doing?

Am loosing Norman tomorrow. Am sad. The shelter owner is going to take him to see 'with her own eyes' how he's doing.

mooie
April 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh, Kathryn, I am so sorry to hear you are losing Norman :sad: You should be applauded for taking over where others won't or can't. I'm sure you feel a very special loss with him leaving. Please know that we're thinking of you and know you did the best you could for him.

Thank you for thinking of BooBoo in your sad time. We don't have issues with Lyme Disease here (Washington state), but I did read that very thing can cause his symptoms. I was very afraid the other day that our time was dwindling to days, but he must have known something was wrong because he's like night/day difference. He's holding his head up, he's walking much better (he falters still at times), he's paying more attention to what's going on around him. I'm just taking it a day at a time. Obviously, he's not ready to leave us yet - hurray for that!!

Thank you for all the good things you do for all the creatures that have no home or are waiting to go home. You're a Godsend. :angel: Please keep in touch.
Marni